The Politics Thread
Avin Wargunnson
I will just leave it here:

https://www.busine...ms-2016-10
I'll be back

jandal7
Paul23 wrote:
jseadog1 wrote:
I don't understand how people don't believe in climate change here. There has been no snow here in Pennsylvania yet this year and when I started college 3 years ago we had snow a month ago and it never stopped.

It is in the upper 40's Fahrenheit here right now and it's usually lower 20's. Im sure baseball, NTTHRASH, and other Americans here could agree with this.

Trump is an idiot for not believing in it

Trump said, that he believes in it, though.

Yes, and also said it's a hoax (he has said it's perpetrated by the Chinese to hurt the US manafacturing) many times and picked a climate change denier to lead the Enviromental Protection Agency. Just like many other issues, he's been on both sides way too many times for either side to have clear and confident faith in him to do what they want based just on the last 70 years of his life, it's all about whhat he does/is doing now I guess.
24/02/21 - kandesbunzler said “I don't drink famous people."
15/08/22 - SotD said "Your [jandal's] humour is overrated"
11/06/24 - knockout said "Winning is fine I guess. Truth be told this felt completely unimportant."

[ICL] Santos-Euskadi | [PT] i.imgur.com/c85NSl6.png Xero Racing

i.imgur.com/PdCbs9I.png
i.imgur.com/RPIlJYr.png
5x i.imgur.com/wM6Wok5.png x5
i.imgur.com/olRsxdu.png
2x pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/funniest21.png x2
2x i.imgur.com/TUidkLG.png x2

Paul23

Old news...

I leave that one here:

https://edition.cn...ork-times/
i.imgur.com/aJSlUNt.png

Ad Bot
Posted on 20-09-2024 00:57
Bot Agent

IP: None  
Paul23
jandal7 wrote:
Paul23 wrote:
jseadog1 wrote:
I don't understand how people don't believe in climate change here. There has been no snow here in Pennsylvania yet this year and when I started college 3 years ago we had snow a month ago and it never stopped.

It is in the upper 40's Fahrenheit here right now and it's usually lower 20's. Im sure baseball, NTTHRASH, and other Americans here could agree with this.

Yes, and also said it's a hoax (he has said it's perpetrated by the Chinese to hurt the US manafacturing) many times and picked a climate change denier to lead the Enviromental Protection Agency. Just like many other issues, he's been on both sides way too many times for either side to have clear and confident faith in him to do what they want based just on the last 70 years of his life, it's all about whhat he does/is doing now I guess.

What he does now, is admiting, that climate change exists.
i.imgur.com/aJSlUNt.png

jandal7
Paul23 wrote:
jandal7 wrote:
Paul23 wrote:
jseadog1 wrote:

What he does now, is admiting, that climate change exists.

Yeah, but he obviously doesn't care that much, as I said in my other point you didn't mention.
24/02/21 - kandesbunzler said “I don't drink famous people."
15/08/22 - SotD said "Your [jandal's] humour is overrated"
11/06/24 - knockout said "Winning is fine I guess. Truth be told this felt completely unimportant."

[ICL] Santos-Euskadi | [PT] i.imgur.com/c85NSl6.png Xero Racing

i.imgur.com/PdCbs9I.png
i.imgur.com/RPIlJYr.png
5x i.imgur.com/wM6Wok5.png x5
i.imgur.com/olRsxdu.png
2x pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/funniest21.png x2
2x i.imgur.com/TUidkLG.png x2

cunego59
jandal7 wrote:
Paul23 wrote:

Exactly. What Trump says about things changes every few hours, so this is the only reliable evidence for what his stance is. And since it doesn't seem like he's going to be a "hands on"-president, the people who he chooses to delegate stuff to are even more important.

Read a bit about Mr. Scott and judge for yourself what course Trump intends to take on climate change and environmental protection.

baseballlover312
jseadog1 wrote:

I agree that climate change exists but I disagree on the reasons. Its been fairly warmer here, but it's suppose to get very cold in the next week anyway. And we have had a bit of snow here in Connecticut the past couple of weeks too. So it's been warmer, but not that drastic. Either way that's all just weather patterns. Last year is was 70 degrees around Christmas, the year before it was below zero Fahrenheit by late November, and 5 years ago we had a major blizzard in October. Those kind of abnormalities happen all the time. Things like this have to be zoomed out and looked at through trends over long periods.

Those trends clearly prove climate change, I won't argue that. You'd have to be crazy at this point to think that. But weather and climate are very different.
RIP Exxon Duke, David Veilleux, Double Feature, and Monster Energy
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/avatar.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/forumthread.png
i.imgur.com/VCXYUyF.png
i.imgur.com/4osUjkI.png

Alakagom
Trump won on the mandate of getting back jobs to blue collar workers. By making EPA less regulated, there will be more profits for energy companies to exploit more, and in exchange Trump is gonna get more jobs for the exact type of people that Trump won the vote.

Plus the beautiful thing is most Americans wouldn't know what EPA acronym stands for.

If Trump plays it smart we are guaranteed 2nd term <3
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2012/avatar.png

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2012/admin.png

TheManxMissile
Doesn't EPA just trap people in domes?
i.imgur.com/UmX5YX1.jpgi.imgur.com/iRneKpI.jpgi.imgur.com/fljmGSP.jpgi.imgur.com/qV5ItIc.jpgimgur.com/dr2BAI6.jpgimgur.com/KlJUqDx.jpg[/img[img]]https://imgur.com/yUygrQ.jpgi.imgur.com/C1rG9BW.jpgi.imgur.com/sEDS7gr.jpg

Alakagom
TheManxMissile wrote:
Doesn't EPA just trap people in domes?

I think you should send that to GOP voter suppression think tank. I think you hit jackpot there.
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2012/avatar.png

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2012/admin.png

alexkr00
When your country goes from hero to zero in one year:

https://en.wikipe...n_protests

https://www.thegu...exit-polls
i.imgur.com/S1M3OtV.png
i.imgur.com/wzkfv39.png
i.imgur.com/Uhicj1C.png
i.imgur.com/Ie56lsQ.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/avatar21.png

ringo182
alexkr00 wrote:

There's a difference between protests and elections. Many protesters only protest to cause trouble. It doesn't matter what the cause is. After the Brexit vote it turned out that a large proportion of the people arrested in the post result riots/protests hadn't actually voted in the referendum.
Edited by ringo182 on 13-12-2016 11:28
"Ringo is exactly right", Shonak - 8 September 2016

alexkr00
ringo182 wrote:
alexkr00 wrote:

There's a difference between protests and elections. Many protesters only protest to cause trouble. It doesn't matter what the cause is. After the Brexit vote it turned out that a large proportion of the people arrested in the post result riots/protests hadn't actually voted in the referendum.

You are wrong about these protests though. The protests were peaceful and no damage was done. People were angry but found peaceful ways to show their repulse towards the current political class. Sadly, not enough people expressed this repulse when it really matter and where it really matters for politicians - in elections.

Less than 40% of the population that can vote did so on Sunday. That itself can be seen as a repulse people have against politicians, but that's not how you are going to make them change since they will still get their much beloved percentages from their faithful electorate.
i.imgur.com/S1M3OtV.png
i.imgur.com/wzkfv39.png
i.imgur.com/Uhicj1C.png
i.imgur.com/Ie56lsQ.png

ringo182
alexkr00 wrote:
ringo182 wrote:
alexkr00 wrote:

You are wrong about these protests though. The protests were peaceful and no damage was done. People were angry but found peaceful ways to show their repulse towards the current political class. Sadly, not enough people expressed this repulse when it really matter and where it really matters for politicians - in elections.

Less than 40% of the population that can vote did so on Sunday. That itself can be seen as a repulse people have against politicians, but that's not how you are going to make them change since they will still get their much beloved percentages from their faithful electorate.

Yeah, your protests may have been peaceful, but I still bet that half the people who protested didn't vote. That is the issue.

The protests being peaceful isn't really the point. People will still protest so they can say "Look at me, I'm protesting. Please like my facebook pictures of me protesting, #Protest", but they won't actually vote. That's what I mean when I say most people will protest anything just to be part of the protest.

alexkr00
Yeah, I know what you are talking about.

But the public opinion supported the protests and the parties seem to understand that this is a much waited wake up call and it's time for a change. Boy, were we wrong. Instead of changing, the winning party brought the same old faces, a lot of which have been found guilty of corruption or are under investigations. Same goes to the party which finished second, but to a lesser extent.
i.imgur.com/S1M3OtV.png
i.imgur.com/wzkfv39.png
i.imgur.com/Uhicj1C.png
i.imgur.com/Ie56lsQ.png

wackojackohighcliffe
ringo182 wrote:
alexkr00 wrote:
ringo182 wrote:
alexkr00 wrote:

Yeah, your protests may have been peaceful, but I still bet that half the people who protested didn't vote. That is the issue.

The protests being peaceful isn't really the point. People will still protest so they can say "Look at me, I'm protesting. Please like my facebook pictures of me protesting, #Protest", but they won't actually vote. That's what I mean when I say most people will protest anything just to be part of the protest.

A bit cynical maybe. I don't agree with not voting but people may believe in a cause but feel so disenfranchised or unrepresented that they don't bother voting.

I'm quite sure a lot of the fairly few people "rioting" post-Brexit didn't vote, but I don't know if the police collect that kind of info, how did you come across it? Wink

TheManxMissile
On the subject of non-voting (because it's an interesting one):

It seems to be something that is heavily frowned upon. If you don't vote then you can't complain about the result.

This is just a b*llocks view.
On one hand, what are people who cannot vote supposed to do? For example lets take Brexit where the "Youth" were polled on Remain compared to the "Elderly" (very lose terms of Youth and Elderly) who were polled Leave. But the problem here being that U18's do not have a vote. So how do their voices get heard? Protest in this instance being a perfectly viable option.
Someone who is excluded from giving an official opinion will have to resort to a more drastic method of having their, often still very valid, view heard. Protest is a good way to this after the result is declared.

On another hand, what if there isn't a voting option that represents your view? Lets take a General Election for government. You can vote for one of a number of parties, can being the operative word. There are people who don't feel they are represented by a party or person. Should they have to vote for someone they don't agree with?
Like in the USA where it's a two-part system, a vote outside of Republican or Democrate is pretty much a wasted vote. But if, as in this past election, those representives are both questionable you shouldn't have to vote to be allowed to make your voice heard on the subject.

Now i'm not advocating for violent protest. And i think in most votes there is a representive option for everyone, or one that is close enough. But take a two-option vote like Brexit and it's different, and you have to remember not everyone gets a vote. So discounting someones opinion or action because they have not voted is a flawed ideal as you ignore a fundamental aspect of a democracy.
i.imgur.com/UmX5YX1.jpgi.imgur.com/iRneKpI.jpgi.imgur.com/fljmGSP.jpgi.imgur.com/qV5ItIc.jpgimgur.com/dr2BAI6.jpgimgur.com/KlJUqDx.jpg[/img[img]]https://imgur.com/yUygrQ.jpgi.imgur.com/C1rG9BW.jpgi.imgur.com/sEDS7gr.jpg

ringo182
wackojackohighcliffe wrote:
ringo182 wrote:
alexkr00 wrote:
ringo182 wrote:
alexkr00 wrote:

A bit cynical maybe. I don't agree with not voting but people may believe in a cause but feel so disenfranchised or unrepresented that they don't bother voting.

I'm quite sure a lot of the fairly few people "rioting" post-Brexit didn't vote, but I don't know if the police collect that kind of info, how did you come across it? Wink

Can't remember where I read it but yes, they do know who voted. You have to give your name and address when you vote and they tick you off the list.

wackojackohighcliffe
ringo182 wrote:
wackojackohighcliffe wrote:
ringo182 wrote:
alexkr00 wrote:
ringo182 wrote:
alexkr00 wrote:

Can't remember where I read it but yes, they do know who voted. You have to give your name and address when you vote and they tick you off the list.

That much I do know but I didn't know who would collate the two. It would probably be pretty easy admittedly Wink

ringo182
Guess it'd be a fairly straight forward job for an investigative journalist looking for a story.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
On request: Kristoff in front