· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 161,117
· Newest Member: MiguelCef
View Thread
PCM.daily » Pro Cycling Manager 2006-2020 » Pro Cycling Manager 2012
 Print Thread
More realistic names PCM11
Lachi
Thank you for your work, I will try it next week.

Djoe
I will definitely try this one, because the names that come up in the game now are just major crap. This is a problem in a lot of games though, like Football Manager ... I mean, OK, Hilaire is a belgian first name, but it dates back to WWII - hahaha...

So, thanks!
+++ DIVIDE BY CUCUMBER ERROR. PLEASE REINSTALL UNIVERSE AND REBOOT +++

Djoe
I will definitely try this one, because the names that come up in the game now are just major crap. This is a problem in a lot of games I think, like Football Manager ...
So, thanks!
+++ DIVIDE BY CUCUMBER ERROR. PLEASE REINSTALL UNIVERSE AND REBOOT +++

Ulrich Ulriksen
Looked at the english speaking ones where I am qualified to judge. Generally looked great.

Only found 2 errors:

On USA - Wasquez should be Vasquez
On GBR first names - Rik should be Rick, although I think that is more american so maybe not on the GBR list at all. But not Rik, unless we are thinking of folks of Dutch descent in GBR.

Some more suggestion, rather than errors

On Aus first names, I think Ian is a much more common spelling than Iain, although Iain seems to be used

Ian should probably also be on the GBR list

Xavier, makes sense on the US first name list, not sure about Aus, less hispanic influence there

Bill should probably be on the US and Canadian list as a nick name of William. Also maybe AUS and GBR. But in the first two most Williams go by Will or Bill

No French Canadian's on the CAN list that I can see. I know a couple: Roberge, LaFluer. You could find lots on NHL rosters if you are into hockey.

UU

CrueTrue
I find it funny that a Ulrich Ulriksen, which sounds German / Danish, helps out with correcting names for US / GBR. Should we add Ulriksen to US? Pfft

It just shows how difficult this can be.

http://www.pcmdaily.com
MrDemus
Thanks for the feedback first of all Grin I have edited some answers into your post

Ulrich Ulriksen wrote:
Looked at the english speaking ones where I am qualified to judge. Generally looked great.

Only found 2 errors:

On USA - Wasquez should be Vasquez - Agreed. Typo
On GBR first names - Rik should be Rick, although I think that is more american so maybe not on the GBR list at all. But not Rik, unless we are thinking of folks of Dutch descent in GBR. Rik is not normal, but I believe it could happen

Some more suggestion, rather than errors

On Aus first names, I think Ian is a much more common spelling than Iain, although Iain seems to be used - Iain is used. I will check if Ian is already there, and otherwise out it there

Ian should probably also be on the GBR list - Agreed

Xavier, makes sense on the US first name list, not sure about Aus, less hispanic influence there - Agreed

Bill should probably be on the US and Canadian list as a nick name of William. Also maybe AUS and GBR. But in the first two most Williams go by Will or Bill - Agreed

No French Canadian's on the CAN list that I can see. I know a couple: Roberge, LaFluer. You could find lots on NHL rosters if you are into hockey. - Problem is that you can't divide french canadian and english canadian names, and personally I don't like the mix of french/english names, as it may get weird. But I will look into it.

UU

bombe32
Some of the first Spanish names' (Idk the English word: trykstreger (Danish)) are placed wrong, I think. Never saw anyone called Lopéz, it's López. Otherwise, Spanish people wouldn't place them at all.
López
Martínez
Sánchez
Gómez
Hernández
Pérez
Jiménez
Álvarez
Mendez (I don't think it uses it)

Italy: typo, VIlla (capital I), DOnati,

USA probably could use some more last names, like Robinson and the likes, ending with -son.

And I saw my last name wasn't among the Danish names, but that's ok, as it's German and present there Smile Very nice job, but are there first names too? I might have missed them, it's a pretty long list.

Ad Bot
Posted on 29-09-2024 12:18
Bot Agent

IP: None  
valverde321
The french/english canadian problem is that most of Canada's cyclists come from Quebec. Just look at SpiderTech for example. Gilbert, Lacombe, Roberge, Boivin.... so I think you should add some french lastnames. French first names are becoming more uncommon but I wouldn't know for sure since I dont live in a particularly french part of Canada.

MrDemus
bombe32 wrote:
Some of the first Spanish names' (Idk the English word: trykstreger (Danish)) are placed wrong, I think. Never saw anyone called Lopéz, it's López. Otherwise, Spanish people wouldn't place them at all.
López
Martínez
Sánchez
Gómez
Hernández
Pérez
Jiménez
Álvarez
Mendez (I don't think it uses it) - Agreed. Mistake by me

Italy: typo, VIlla (capital I), DOnati, - Well, I'm bound to make a few Pfft

USA probably could use some more last names, like Robinson and the likes, ending with -son. - US last names are made from a list of the 1000 most common last names, so those in the list are the most used.

And I saw my last name wasn't among the Danish names, but that's ok, as it's German and present there Smile Very nice job, but are there first names too? I might have missed them, it's a pretty long list. - First names are at the bottom of the list

MrDemus
valverde321 wrote:
The french/english canadian problem is that most of Canada's cyclists come from Quebec. Just look at SpiderTech for example. Gilbert, Lacombe, Roberge, Boivin.... so I think you should add some french lastnames. French first names are becoming more uncommon but I wouldn't know for sure since I dont live in a particularly french part of Canada.

I will look into this, and see if there's a solution. Most likely I will just add some french canadian surnames, and hope that they won't look weird combined with the first names Grin

MacC
Excellent, some of the irish names have a "irish-american" spelling like "o'riley, kavanaugh" but thats not a big deal

MrDemus
MacC wrote:
Excellent, some of the irish names have a "irish-american" spelling like "o'riley, kavanaugh" but thats not a big deal

That's the way they were spelled on the list I had, and to be honest I can't tell the difference Grin Oh, and I remembered to remove Siobhan

MacC
MrDemus wrote:
MacC wrote:

That's the way they were spelled on the list I had, and to be honest I can't tell the difference Grin Oh, and I remembered to remove Siobhan

its excellent work, thanks

MrDemus
MacC wrote:
MrDemus wrote:
MacC wrote:

its excellent work, thanks

Thanks for the feedback Grin

MrDemus
I am working on a version 1.1 with the corrections from the feedback, plus some added names from countries I felt were a bit short.

To be released: At some point today

bombe32
One of the things that usually annoys me the most is the multiple first names. I would think that in most cases, a person would only be called one of the names.

Especially the Danish ones are not so realistic (Jeppe Lynge, Jesper Top etc, you get it), and also names like Jacob F. and so on... I think this is also present in some of the German first names Smile

MrDemus
bombe32 wrote:
One of the things that usually annoys me the most is the multiple first names. I would think that in most cases, a person would only be called one of the names.

Especially the Danish ones are not so realistic (Jeppe Lynge, Jesper Top etc, you get it), and also names like Jacob F. and so on... I think this is also present in some of the German first names Smile

This is due to two things. 1) To avoid to many of the same names 20 Jakobs could be annoying, but if they had middle names, it increases the diversity. And it is actually used (Thomas Vedel Kvist, Chris Anker Sørensen to name a few) 2) Some of them are put there by Cyanide, and I haven't redone everything. For some countries I have only removed the obviously stupid.

MrDemus
Version 1.1 released. See first post for details on changes

MrDemus
I am still trying to get regions to work properly, so I can divide Switzerland into German, Italian and French parts namewise, but it doesn't seem to work.

MrDemus
New version up. Found a stupid error

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots