View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Cont-Man-Game] General
 Print Thread
Le Samyn Discussion
seancoll
Le Samyn
200.2km

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/mg_samyn1.jpg

It’s a continuation of the cobble season as our PCT teams meander the streets from Mons to Dour in Belgium. Babymetal Cycling will be holding up the fort for the CT teams as the only representative of the division. We count 21 separate cobble sectors, many of which are grouped together to create longer periods of tough racing. The climbs in Le Samyn are very gradual, so we will see whether attempts are made on the ascents or whether the longest sectors will be the challenge. The finish should be an uphill sprint, so maintaining composure not to jump too early should be important.

With an almost identical favorites list to Omloop, let's see how the change in terrain impacts the tactics for these favorites.

History

Le Samyn is a relatively new fixture in the MG schedule with only 4 previous appearances. Sam Bewley, Danny Summerhill, Joeri Stallaert, and Jermoe Baugnies have each taken the crown, with Stallaert and Summerhill here this year to become 2-time winners. Stallaert took his victory on a 4 second gap which meant his sprint was too powerful for his counterparts. Summerhill ended on the same time in his 2020 win, holding off a 26 man chasing group. Whether for the victory or for the minor podium spots, Le Samyn has always ended with a group sprint, so those with the ability to kick should make good on their RD here if they time things correctly.

Favorites Preview

The top cobblers will be the major favorites for this race as is always true. If you can’t make it over the major sections in the top group, there is simply no way for a proper result. While you’ll also need some sprint, the best cobblers will be most consistent and have the chance to break away for the win, too.

NameFLHISTRSCBSPACFG
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ubt.png Spengler7467747383627067
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lph.png Zepuntke7269797282726566
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/brs.png Stallaert7767766881797667
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/fas.png Van Hooydonck7371757481617264
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/trg.png Summerhill7671736981687079
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/jur.png Theuns7274767380777664
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lmp.png Daniel7369767680767269

Spengler is the best cobbler as he was in Omloop, but this race has given him more of a challenge. Spengler finished 15th in 2019. In that instance, Spengler finished last of the front group which is certainly a risk as his sprint falls below the other favorites. He should be hoping to push away and keep the front group as small as possible.

Zepuntke has two finishes in 16th from 2019 and 14th in 2020. His stamina and comparatively decent hill rating should also allow him into the top group, but again his sprint could let him down if he tries to take others to the line. When he came to the finish in a group, he might struggle to beat the majority.

Stallaert has to be the clear favorite with his strong sprint. He is by far the best sprinter with over 75 cobble and he’s shown why you can’t go to the line with him. He’s a beast on the pure flat too, so gapping him between sectors is a problem as well. The best chance for someone to get away is to punch a climb as hard as possible and hope it makes separation. Still, Stallaert is the man to beat, but we’ll see if others collaborate to put him behind. There’s a reason that Stallaert has won his only appearance at this race.

Van Hooydonck does not arrive with any history at this race. He’s one of the better hill riders in this grouping, but he’ll need to join a group attack to get away as he probably can’t hold up on the flat alone. That’s equally troublesome as his sprint is the worst of all favorites, so he may be the person to reserve energy and bank on a major result without looking for the win. Maybe he can push away like he did in Omloop.

Summerhill is back on a slight decline at 34, but his cobble skill is still unmatchable from the peloton. He should be looking to repeat his 2020 assault and break away from the favorite. This time, a later attack might be the best move after the last cobble sector and hope that the remaining favorites look at each other to close the gap. This was Summerhill’s only trip here was his victory so at least one of Stallaert and Summerhill will take their first loss here.

Theuns is my personal 2nd favorite of this group, as the second best sprinter. He has never come to this race, but an uphill sprint seems to suit him well. He’s already found a win this season and this could easily become his second if he plays his cards right. If this comes down to a group sprint like, I expect both Stallaert and Theuns to be in the group. Positioning, fatigue, and tactics could make the difference.

Daniel might be one of the most consistent riders in the history of this race with two 8th places, while many riders haven’t attended frequently. He’s the best of the rest behind the two legitimate sprinters of the favorites. He’s also one of the strongest with the ability to hold on for as long as possible. We’ll see what support he gets and whether someone else’s move triggers Daniel into a strong 2 or 3 man group to the line. Sadly, Daniel may also end up supporting teammate Van Keirsbulck come the sprint but the multiple options are good for Lampre – Pinarello.

Ready to Surprise Preview

NameFLHISTRSCBSPACFG
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/coc.png Blythe7363716679736869
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/kmm.png Zubov6863706979616967
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lpu.png Gamper7766777779637172
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/dev.png Debesay7574757979697873
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ghn.png Fenn7160736978696771
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lmp.png Van Keirsbulck7271757378706871
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/sfi.png Ringheim7267757178737566
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/tlt.png Moulingui7471717178656864
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ubt.png Jacobs7669777678676771
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/sfi.png Kuroeda7463727377747863
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/p4e.png Manamalage8159716477575664
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ubt.png Bohli7468797577746866
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/tlt.png Kolev7562737177626771
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lph.png Ulloa7270737277686868
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/spr.png David7374757377697267

Everyone in this grouping will need to find a way to survive to the top grouping on the cobbles for a strong result, but the path to a top podium slot differs.
Van Keirsbulck will be working alongside Daniel to try to play team tactics. Blythe will be relying on his past success to keep him calm and composed as others make their moves.

A standout here may be Manamalage who could make the difference on the flat after the final sector if and only if he hasn’t lost too much energy. Saya Kuroeda is another one who should make the best of his skills. He’s a high quality sprinter for the group that may come in together for 6th or 7th. Teammate Shiki Kuroeda could do the same thing having just missed this list. Both can sprint well to take a high position in a later group.

We won’t go into the riders we expect to see in the breakaway, because the likelihood of those riders making it to the end will be unlikely. Still, expect to see a Babymetal Cycling jersey amongst those in the early stages. Assa Abloy will also likely attempt to make the early break.

Full Startlist:
Last nameFirst name2023 Team
HooleDaanAssa Abloy
GougeardAlexisAssa Abloy
MatsumotoYosukueAssa Abloy
Bergstrom FriskErikAssa Abloy
MagnussonKimAssa Abloy
Van AertBernardAssa Abloy
AskeyLewisBabymetal Cycling
DrouinDavidBabymetal Cycling
ArashiroYudaiBabymetal Cycling
FretinMilanBabymetal Cycling
JansRoyBabymetal Cycling
ItamiKenjiBabymetal Cycling
NiuYikuiBabymetal Cycling
WelchPatrickBabymetal Cycling
StallaertJoeriBralirwa - Stevens
OkbamariamTesfomBralirwa - Stevens
YoungDarrenBralirwa - Stevens
MugishaSamuelBralirwa - Stevens
HadiJanvierBralirwa - Stevens
EyobMektelBralirwa - Stevens
BlytheAdamColombini Cycling
De BondtDriesColombini Cycling
BonelloDanielColombini Cycling
MartinoStanColombini Cycling
SprengerFelixColombini Cycling
AquilaniAndreaColombini Cycling
BorgLukeColombini Cycling
JeleKwaneleColombini Cycling
DebesayMeksebDuckDuckGo - Everesting
VahtraNormanDuckDuckGo - Everesting
ZegklisNikolaosDuckDuckGo - Everesting
PonceJoelDuckDuckGo - Everesting
Diaz SuarezAndy AlihonayDuckDuckGo - Everesting
KusiClementDuckDuckGo - Everesting
OroscoKempDuckDuckGo - Everesting
KulikovskiyAlexandrDuckDuckGo - Everesting
Van HooydonckNathanFastned
Van der HoornTacoFastned
RobeetLudovicFastned
BovenhuisJasperFastned
DuricDordeFastned
RenardAlexisFastned
PluimersRickFastned
van SintmaartensdijkRoelFastned
FennAndrewGenii Hyundai N Cycling
JarcAljazGenii Hyundai N Cycling
SelimovicHuseinGenii Hyundai N Cycling
UhiriweRenusGenii Hyundai N Cycling
StoenchevValentinGenii Hyundai N Cycling
BechkovAleksGenii Hyundai N Cycling
HerreraErickGenii Hyundai N Cycling
HenttalaJoonasGenii Hyundai N Cycling
DunneConorGlanbia
EatonDanielGlanbia
McKennaSeanGlanbia
BennettSamGlanbia
McCambridgeKevinGlanbia
RyanArchieGlanbia
WadeAaronGlanbia
HealyBenGlanbia
VenturiniClementIndosat Ooredoo
FirdausPrasetyoIndosat Ooredoo
WolfJustinIndosat Ooredoo
WibisonoRachmad NokaIndosat Ooredoo
AhmadFirdausIndosat Ooredoo
KochetkovMikhailIndosat Ooredoo
TheunsEdwardJura GIANTS
KosicNejcJura GIANTS
TediashviliGiorgiJura GIANTS
Bakke ChristophersenCedricJura GIANTS
StehliFelixJura GIANTS
PageHugoJura GIANTS
DaviesScottJura GIANTS
RaugalaGustasJura GIANTS
ZubovMatveyKraftwerk Man Machine
ZhupaEugertKraftwerk Man Machine
De BuystJasperKraftwerk Man Machine
ColomboFilippoKraftwerk Man Machine
SommerJanKraftwerk Man Machine
UhligHenriKraftwerk Man Machine
TheorpanousStavrosKraftwerk Man Machine
MathisMarcoKraftwerk Man Machine
DanielMaximeLampre - Pinarello
Van KeirsbulckGuillaumeLampre - Pinarello
KumaraAmith UdayaLampre - Pinarello
ThwaitesScottLampre - Pinarello
RoweLukeLampre - Pinarello
RiesebeekOscarLampre - Pinarello
MedvedevSergeyLampre - Pinarello
AntonelliMichaelLampre - Pinarello
GamperPatrickLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam
VerwilstAaronLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam
BiermansJentheLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam
SiddikovDilmurdjonLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam
Van AertWoutLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam
CalzoniWalterLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam
PiccoloAndreaLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam
WeemaesSashaLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam
ZepuntkeRubenLos Pollos Hermanos
UlloaJose GerardoLos Pollos Hermanos
NareklishviliBekaLos Pollos Hermanos
HollmannJuriLos Pollos Hermanos
AbolajiFatiuLos Pollos Hermanos
MoutsiosMartinosLos Pollos Hermanos
QuispeAlainLos Pollos Hermanos
Aguilar MendezJose PabloLos Pollos Hermanos
NaudPatrickMcCormick Pro Cycling
SimmonsQuinnMcCormick Pro Cycling
MohammadFikri AzkaMcCormick Pro Cycling
QuinnSeanMcCormick Pro Cycling
MostovZekeMcCormick Pro Cycling
MatteCharlesMcCormick Pro Cycling
DavidTomSauber Petronas Racing
GhaniMuhammad SuhaimiSauber Petronas Racing
SchoonbroodtBobSauber Petronas Racing
MarzukiNur AmirulSauber Petronas Racing
RossiDiegoSauber Petronas Racing
GiuliettiLuigiSauber Petronas Racing
PuttiRiccardoSauber Petronas Racing
MaccagliAndrea EnricoSauber Petronas Racing
RingheimJo KogstadSony - Force India
KuroedaSayaSony - Force India
KuroedaShikiSony - Force India
HavikPiotrSony - Force India
KooistraMartenSony - Force India
Van DijkeTimSony - Force India
HayterLeoSony - Force India
AlbenEsowSony - Force India
MuhindoJimmySpark-BNZ Racing
ErdenesurenMunkhtulgaSpark-BNZ Racing
BaterdeneNarankhuuSpark-BNZ Racing
MudgwayLukeSpark-BNZ Racing
PereraMadushankaSpark-BNZ Racing
BattsengelAmartuvshinSpark-BNZ Racing
MarryattJakeSpark-BNZ Racing
RodriguezCarlosSpark-BNZ Racing
ManamalageNipuna ShiraTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska
HorvatZigaTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska
VargaPeterTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska
PluchkinAleksandrTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska
KachurDmytroTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska
BilyiMaksymTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska
ParashchakYaroslavTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska
ZumerMaticTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska
SpenglerLukasTeam UBS - Tissot
JacobsJohanTeam UBS - Tissot
BohliTomTeam UBS - Tissot
Van AsbroeckTomTeam UBS - Tissot
DillierSilvanTeam UBS - Tissot
StöckliJanTeam UBS - Tissot
BrunNilsTeam UBS - Tissot
MoulinguiClenne MorvanTrans Looney Tunes
KolevIliyanTrans Looney Tunes
CentroneIvanTrans Looney Tunes
Lecourt De BillotOlivierTrans Looney Tunes
PengYuan TanTrans Looney Tunes
SobreroMatteoTrans Looney Tunes
MurnBostjanTrans Looney Tunes
TulettBenTrans Looney Tunes
SummerhillDannyTryg - Gobik
Blume LevyWilliamTryg - Gobik
KumpMarkoTryg - Gobik
HonoreMikkelTryg - Gobik
KaloniatisGeorgiosTryg - Gobik
FrisonFrederikTryg - Gobik
PedreroAntonioTryg - Gobik
CurrieLoganTryg - Gobik
VermeerschFlorianXero Racing
Van ZylJohannXero Racing
NovardiantoJamalidinXero Racing
HamzaYacineXero Racing
RamirezJhon StivenXero Racing
DuyvesteynKeesXero Racing
StrongCorbinXero Racing
GirmayBiniamZwift Pro Cycling
WeltenBramZwift Pro Cycling
SilvaNihalZwift Pro Cycling
PickrellRileyZwift Pro Cycling
JussaumeTristanZwift Pro Cycling
CanalCarlosZwift Pro Cycling
RyukiUgaZwift Pro Cycling
StrollLewisZwift Pro Cycling

apologies for the delay

Croatia14
We wanna see some Stallaert magic.
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/moty.png

MacC
We're here because we're here

cunego59
Croatia14 wrote:

We do indeed! Fourth in OHN is obviously not a terrible result, but it would be great if he improved on that. Last year, Joeri was 9th here I believe, a repeat of that would be rather bad. I think mostly, we just need to be tactically sound and hopefully Okbamariam can provide better support. Let's see what happens!

Fabianski
Croatia14 wrote:

Sure, as long as he finishes behind Theuns, I'm fine with whatever magic he does Pfft

On a more serious note, Stallaert is obviously the top favorite again, as in every HC/C1 race he enters. He's great on the cobbles, he's a great sprinter - but we've seen in Omloop that he's human.
Back-to-back wins for Theuns would be fantastic, and the course should really suit him. He's the best puncheur among the top cobblers (alongside Debesay) - and the second best sprinter, so that's a nice combo. But surprises can always happen, so I'll take any Top 5 result. Lower would be disappointing. Plus, unlike in Omloop, he's got his standard support present with Tediashvili and Kosic. So, no excuse for not delivering.

Thanks for the preview, and good luck to everyone!

whitejersey
Thanks for the preview, just praying for no puncture for Daniel.

Jakstar22
Obviously we aren’t expecting much from this race. Will be interesting to see how we go though! If Perera can make it over the cobbles maybe he can do something. And potentially Muhindo or Erdenesuren. It will be interesting either way!

Ad Bot
Posted on 28-09-2024 22:33
Bot Agent

IP: None  
Eden95
Finally, we get to race! Just a shame that it’s a cobbles race and we probably don’t even have a squad worthy of the BOTD. Venturini is a very interesting rider and could, if the race were non-selective and he was feeling like a god , do something. But to say we have zero expectations is an understatement.

Thanks for the preview.
Indosat - ANZ HQ

"This Schleck sandwich is going to cause serious indigestion for Evans" - Phil Liggett

cunego59
Well, Stallaert did much better to manage his energy and not attack early, but then as the report said his positioning going into the finale was just poor. Unfortunate, but 3rd is still a decent result. Would love to see him break through in KBK later this month.

Congrats to Fabianksi again, very strong start for Theuns! And to Abhishek as well, what a day for Ringheim!

Jakstar22
Well I was never expecting much. I'm not a cobbles team :lol:

Congrats to Theuns! Great report!!

Nemolito
Was not expexting much of Zepuntke, as this parcours seemed to be quite un-selective, also looking at his previous results here.

When he first missed that attack of six and then went with another eleven riders to the finish line, I could see him easily finish outside of the top-10. So it was a very pleasant surprise to se him finish fourth in that group, definitely a happy manager here!

Theuns on fire though! Congratulations Fab. Maybe not going for cobbles all those years is the only thing that stood between you and winning the PT title Pfft

Also glad to see Jo Ko Ono and Big Joeri on the podium! Thanks for a great report again, sean Smile
www.pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/newmember.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgreporter21.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2022/mgtoty.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/moty-cunego.png

Ulrich Ulriksen
Congrats to Fab, Theuns proving to be a great acquisition.

Nice to see Naud active, hope he is this active in the flat classics, which are his real target.

Thanks for the report.
Man Game: McCormick Pro Cycling

Fabianski
Wow, what a stunning finale by Eddie, what a way to get back-to-back wins in his home country! Two cobbled classics, two wins - and in both races it was himself who launched the winning move, displaying an awesome feeling of race situations. At least I could say that IRL, I guess in MG it's a lot of luck - and part of that luck was that his puncture (hopefully the only one of the season) came early enough in the race to not have a negative impact.
I definitely didn't expect him to hold on when the others got so much closer on the final meters - and I did even less expect Ringheim to be his closest opponent, big congrats to Abhi, it's so far looking like that guy was a fantastic signing!

Which of coruse has to be said of Theuns as well. Despite some hesitation - I don't really like to have 32y.o. riders on my team - I thought it was worth it, and so far it looks like that's indeed the case Smile Eddie is just continuing to write history - not only did he get our first cobbles win, cobbles now are also the only terrain where we got more than one classic win - within just a few days! It feels great (although renewals won't Pfft), and I enjoy it as long as it lasts - unfortunately, HC cobbles are already over for my team, but I hope Eddie will enjoy the other categories just as much Wink
And last but not least, kudos to Bakke and Kosic for their attacks, and to Tediashvili for getting a strong 25th place finish!

Thanks to seancoll for preview and report! And thanks for all the congrats Smile
@cunego, I'll talk to Eddie, but unsure what he'll think about leading out Joeri in KBK...

Gustavovskiy
Antoher great result from Theuns. This could be Jura's year. Congrats Fab!

Good race from Debesay. We need more of this stuff. Cool result from Vahtra as well. Thanks for the report, seancoll!
Manager of Everesting

redordead
Watching from afar it seems like it's been a fun cobbled season in PCT so far.

Theuns looks to be the new king on the block. Not unexpected since I thought he would be very good, but you never expect back-to-back classics wins Smile

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

AbhishekLFC
Fantastic result from Ringheim. We got only small depth points this time, but the 2nd place more than makes up for it!

Congrats to Fab and thanks for the report seancoll Smile

TheUlamog
Clearly the team has a big weakness in the cobbled races. Our riders still have to grow alot to keep up with the experts. I do believe in Fretin and Askey to get there. Thanks for the nice report seancoll!!

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
Kirchen wins the Milan-Torino
Kirchen wins the Milan-Torino