Eden95, Mresuperstar

· Total Members: 161,032
· Newest Member: dimbiloid
View Thread
PCM.daily » Off-Topic » Other sports
 Print Thread
Rugby union
craig324
The IRB will implement 'no tackling' next at this rate, I can name worse tackles This world cup that only received a yellow. all of which are similar to this instance.

Crommy
craig324 wrote:
The IRB will implement 'no tackling' next at this rate, I can name worse tackles This world cup that only received a yellow. all of which are similar to this instance.

What you've just stated is hyperbolic nonsense.

The reason this kind of tackle is dealt with so strictly is that it can cause extremely severe neck/spinal injuries. Trying to prevent that is good, and it in no way impacts on the physicality of rugby.

EDIT: also - give video evidence of similar tackles if you want the point taken seriously
Edited by Crommy on 15-10-2011 12:10
emoticons4u.com/happy/042.gif

rorzcp
Who does everyone think will win the AllBlacks vs. Wallabies?

wackojackohighcliffe
Crommy wrote:
craig324 wrote:

The reason this kind of tackle is dealt with so strictly is that it can cause extremely severe neck/spinal injuries. Trying to prevent that is good, and it in no way impacts on the physicality of rugby.

EDIT: also - give video evidence of similar tackles if you want the point taken seriously

They did show a lot of examples on the ITV coverage...

craig324
https://www.brisba...tedImage=0

If you look at this picture (it was hard to find the instance and i am tired) it is similar looking, the Tongan player recieved 10 minutes in the sin bin as he did drop him on his back, I am all for making the sport safe Crommy but there is a difference between INTENTIONAL and ACCIDENTAL you can tell that the tackle in the Welsh game was an accident as he did not follow through.

EDIT- 18 of 19 is the picture I am talking about.
Edited by craig324 on 15-10-2011 12:25

sutty68
craig324 wrote:

If you look at this picture (it was hard to find the instance and i am tired) it is similar looking, the Tongan player recieved 10 minutes in the sin bin as he did drop him on his back, I am all for making the sport safe Crommy but there is a difference between INTENTIONAL and ACCIDENTAL you can tell that the tackle in the Welsh game was an accident as he did not follow through.

Totally agree Craig, Sam Warburton is by no way a dirty player, but rules are rules and he fell fowl to a good and strict referee. On another day i bet that type of tackle would have gone unpunished.

Still im PROUD of the way WALES have played in the world cup !!!!!

Crommy
craig324 wrote:

It's not whether it was intentional or accidental. The rules are that as soon as you take a player into the air, it is your responsibility to make sure he hits the ground safely. If you don't, the rules are clear, it's a red. In this case, Warburton makes a complete mess of the tackle, loses control of the guy in the air, and he lands on his head. Which is a red.

And yep, that is a similar case. And I completely agree it would be better to have consistency. But the consistency should be a red card.

Crommy
wackojackohighcliffe wrote:
Crommy wrote:
craig324 wrote:

Sorry, I can't watch ITV when they go back to the studio. Something about Steve Rider trying to talk about rugby makes me want to smash my forehead into my desk Pfft

mb2612
I thought it was a harsh decision, but if you spear tackle someone then it's a red, and it was a spear tackle.

Plenty on players have recieved bans of several weeks for tackles like that, so it's not an outrageous decision.

That said, France have been so awful this world cup and are still in the final, just like England in 07

i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/Gustavovskiy/microjerseys/PT/std_zpsb6c2f350.png[url=www.pcmdaily.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=33182]Team Santander Media Thread[/url]i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/Gustavovskiy/microjerseys/PT/std_zpsb6c2f350.png

Please assume I am joking unless otherwise stated

wackojackohighcliffe
Crommy wrote:
Crommy wrote:
craig324 wrote:

Sorry, I can't watch ITV when they go back to the studio. Something about Steve Rider trying to talk about rugby makes me want to smash my forehead into my desk Pfft

Yeah - although the commentary is even worse...

And I digress on my earlier point - it's a stupid ruling but he was following the letter of the law (not that he does for much else :sigh: ) and it's that that needs to be looked at. Feel sorry for Warburton because it was quite evidently unintentional.

mb2612
Turns out the IRB view is stauncher than I thought:
https://www.rugbyr...s-Red-Card

Guess I don't have any complaints now

i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/Gustavovskiy/microjerseys/PT/std_zpsb6c2f350.png[url=www.pcmdaily.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=33182]Team Santander Media Thread[/url]i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/Gustavovskiy/microjerseys/PT/std_zpsb6c2f350.png

Ad Bot
Posted on 21-09-2024 11:00
Bot Agent

IP: None  
Crommy
Crommy wrote:
Crommy wrote:
craig324 wrote:

And I digress on my earlier point - it's a stupid ruling but he was following the letter of the law (not that he does for much else :sigh: ) and it's that that needs to be looked at. Feel sorry for Warburton because it was quite evidently unintentional.

I have to disagree. This is a good law. When you pick someone up, you immediately become responsible for that guy getting on the ground safely. Remember, these guys are 16-20 stone, and that's a lot of pressure to put on the neck/spine if you land directly on it. It's not about intention (that's when you get multiple game bans, not just the red), it's all about safety.

wackojackohighcliffe
Crommy wrote:
Crommy wrote:
Crommy wrote:
craig324 wrote:

I have to disagree. This is a good law. When you pick someone up, you immediately become responsible for that guy getting on the ground safely. Remember, these guys are 16-20 stone, and that's a lot of pressure to put on the neck/spine if you land directly on it. It's not about intention (that's when you get multiple game bans, not just the red), it's all about safety.

Yes, but a yellow card would be enough to teach someone when it's accidental.

SportingNonsense
Gutted. Red card deserved or not, Wales deserved to go through more than France - who rarely threatened despite the huge advantage of no Warburton, and Adam Jones having been taken off injured very early. 1 damn point - and Wales had the kicking opportunities. And if it had only been a yellow, rather than red, then Wales would have easily won imo.

Also, how hard is it to appoint a completely neutral referee for a World Cup semi final? Surely there's a top level referee somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere?
The referee today, Alain Rolland, is half-French. He may be one of the best and unbiased referees in the World, but being appointed in charge one of the biggest games in Rugby, which features a country he undeniably has links with, is that really a good move by IRB?

The atmosphere inside the Millenium Stadium watching it was awesome at least, even if the result wasnt: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sumofmar...774754863/
farm7.static.flickr.com/6042/6246863808_f806a84f60_s.jpgfarm7.static.flickr.com/6179/6246872154_da6360de53_s.jpgfarm7.static.flickr.com/6043/6246845776_939c1bec42_s.jpg
farm8.staticflickr.com/7458/9357923136_f1e68270f3_n.jpg

mb2612
SportingNonsense wrote:
Gutted. Red card deserved or not, Wales deserved to go through more than France - who rarely threatened despite the huge advantage of no Warburton, and Adam Jones having been taken off injured very early. 1 damn point - and Wales had the kicking opportunities. And if it had only been a yellow, rather than red, then Wales would have easily won imo.

Also, how hard is it to appoint a completely neutral referee for a World Cup semi final? Surely there's a top level referee somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere?
The referee today, Alain Rolland, is half-French. He may be one of the best and unbiased referees in the World, but being appointed in charge one of the biggest games in Rugby, which features a country he undeniably has links with, is that really a good move by IRB?

France have been shocking this world cup, as have Aus.

If that is the final then this has been the worst WC ever.

As far as Rolland goes, he is bilingual, so is the obvious choice if France are playing, assuming he isn't biased, which one could only tell by looking at past results with him reffing France.

Crommy
mb2612 wrote:
SportingNonsense wrote:

France have been shocking this world cup, as have Aus.

If that is the final then this has been the worst WC ever.

As far as Rolland goes, he is bilingual, so is the obvious choice if France are playing, assuming he isn't biased, which one could only tell by looking at past results with him reffing France.

2007 wasn't exactly great either. But this will be quite a drab end to the WC Frown

craig324
Even the "impartial" commentators in New Zealand were supporting Wales and making digs at Rolland for instance when the French went off-side he did not penalise them he only told them "no" or "go back" Richard Low (ex All Black) was saying that Rolland was acting more of a coach for France rather than a referee.

roturn
When does the match start tomorrow in what time zone? Already missed the quarters due to a wrong time. Wink

For some reasons the German sportschannel showed ~10 matches from the group phase but don`t show the semifinals or even the final. This totally sucks.

The red might be according to the rules but still a very hard decision. Probably 4/5 other refs wouldn`t have given this one.
But now really looking forward to tomorrows match. Probably more interesting match than France - NZ in the possible final, if France can`t find some better form.

craig324
In New Zealand the game kicks-off at 9 p.m, so 8 a.m in Germany?

wackojackohighcliffe
It seems incredible that France only played well for about 10 minutes this whole World Cup and are in the final. Surely they can't win, but you never know with the French.

Tomorrow should be a good game. Hope New Zealand choke.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
Pinot attacking... on the Descent?!?
Pinot attacking... on the Descent?!?