sergio2091, TheManxMissile, Ezeefreak

· Total Members: 161,009
· Newest Member: christianbalee
View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] Teams HQ
 Print Thread
[PCT24] Tryg - ENI - Démare
seancoll
Loving this jersey! Favorite part has to be the ring on the back. It's just a great pop and I can't wait to see this on many podiums throughout the season!
MG Manager - SEE Turtles

Ad Bot
Posted on 19-09-2024 17:31
Bot Agent

IP: None  
liefwarrior
A SURPRISE GAMBLE
GCN analyses Tryg - ENI's incoming transfers for 2024

Every Autumn managers across the MGUCI assemble plans for the coming season. Some will devote hours to scouting out talents hidden in the furthest corners of the world; the process of others is more streamlined, identifying only what is necessary. Whatever method is devised, these plans exist for a heartbeat or two; then the transfer window opens.

What was the plan for Nikolas Maes this year? During an interview in the immediate aftermath of his appointment he had indicated an intention to build around the core of the team that secured promotion in '22. Instead, he pulled off quite the coup by bringing Arnaud Démare into the fold. This time round there were two names alluded: one explicitly mentioned while the other was only implied. The decision not to renew Danny Summerhill left a glaring absence in the squad; evidently Maes had William Blume Levy and Biniam Girmay lined up as potential replacements.

That is what one might have been forgiven for thinking, at least. It is certainly the direction that media speculation headed. Yet when the time came to put one's money where one's mouth is, nothing was forthcoming from the Tryg - ENI camp. There were early reports that Carlsberg had engaged Blume Levy in negotiations, having been the subject of much speculation prior to being thwarted the year prior. The future flandrien has yet to be signed, so we can't comment too much, only to not that it seems that there wasn't any contact between the Dane and his former employer at any point.

The fact that Biniam Girmay did not find himself moving north is less surprising. Given the interest in this future superstar, combined with the investments that had already been made in him, he was always going to command an exorbitant price. It would appear that Maes did put out some feelers; him and half the known universe. In the end it was Bralirwa - Cegeka that was willing to stump up the most cash, meaning that Rwanda rather than Randers was to be Bini's new home.

If not Blume Levy and not Girmay, then who was to take the place of Summerhill? Perhaps the American was to make a surprise reappearance? Alas not. Despite some significant travails, including a renegotiation following on from a final hour bid by a rival, Tryg - ENI was able to secure the signature of Alexandr Ovsyannikov. Who? Given the team's history with the pavés the expectation was that somebody of the same calibre as Nikolas Maes and Danny Summerhill would be announced. Instead, those who haven't dived deep into the depths of various race results, and especially those who were not around for the hype that surrounded him during his development, probably haven't heard of Ovsyannikov before. His palmarés are limited to a handful of U25 classifications: lacking the technical skills to be a true flandrien and just not quite as rapid at the finish as his rivals, Ovsyannikov's story is thus far one of unrealised potential.

It would not be wise to lose faith in Maes just yet though, it very rarely pays to be so hasty. This is, after all, the man who managed to get Démare in a Tryg jersey. One might also do well to remember Maes's own career in the saddle. He was, for many years, one of the peloton's best when it came to navigating the pavés. One of our sources has informed us that he has booked the team some time in Flanders during the pre-season. It doesn't take much to put two and two together. Maes is in search of a flandrien for his squad. He has already invested a reported €400.000 in this man. He has a vast depth of technical knowledge to draw from. Is that much of a stretch to suggest that come the Spring classics we might see a rejuvenated Ovsyannikov, especially given he is only a step or two away from greatness as it stands?

Alexandr Ovsyannikov | 27 years old | €370,000 | Flandrien
i.imgur.com/GmTIO5z.jpeg
FLMOHITTSTRSRCCBSPACFGDHPR

Given the amount of expenditure it is inevitable that the acquisition of Ovsyannikov will be the primary focus of those who have been watching Tryg - ENI's movements during the window. But to be the primary acquisition is not to be the only acquisition. Even prior to transfers, Maes had made no secret of his desire to bring in some experienced leadout riders. All too often Démare's stature would make other teams unwilling to cooperate and his squad of unsuited domestiques would be incapable of delivering him to the finish. Obviously internal development should mitigate the issue somewhat, but the arrival of Casper Pedersen should eliminate it entirely. Pedersen is no stranger to the team, being a product of their development programme. He was one of the casualties of the relegation in '21, with subsequent efforts to secure his return only now having come to fruition. It is a shame that his return came at the cost of Andreas Kron's departure, but the move is quite understandable given the surplus of puncheurs in the squad.

Casper Pedersen | 28 years old | €80,000 | Leadout
i.imgur.com/Q5iMFcO.jpeg

The agreement with Rabobank was a two-for-one trade. It secured a strong leadout for Démare, Rodenberg and Ovsyannikov. It meant that Kron would have an opportunity to ride in the ProTour. It also meant reinforcements for the climbing department with the addition of Asbjørn Hellemose. Hellemose is equally capable of gritting his teeth in order to hold on throughout longer climbs as well as keep up with the rapid accelerations up shorter slopes. He has the lightweight build of the true grimpeur, so one can't be expecting too much from him when it comes to fighting against the wind, on both the TT and road bike. Nonetheless, he should be capable of offering solid support to both Schlegel and THJ whenever the terrain goes up.

Asbjørn Hellemose | 25 years old | €50,000 | Climber
i.imgur.com/l428MMr.jpeg

The final permanent signing that Maes has secured thus far is Rasmus Søjberg Pedersen. The class of incoming Danish neo-pros is quite a talented one and we have doubt that Maes will have wanted to onboard all of them. Unfortunately, Tryg - ENI operates under a wage cap and the needless inflation of Ovsyannikov's salary meant that Sojberg is set to be the only one graduating directly into Tryg's ranks. As is (almost) always the case with those entering into their first year in the professional peloton, the Dane isn't expected to light the world on fire with immediate effect. Instead what will have attracted Maes to him is his potential. Expert predictions suggest that he will have much to learn from Mathias Norsgaard, that he might even one day supplant his countryman as the squad's premier timetraillist. That day is a long day off for now but given Tryg - ENI's history of successful development we are eagerly anticipating this young man's future.

Rasmus Søjberg Pedersen | 22 years old | €120,000 | Timetriallist
i.imgur.com/HFKBmGz.jpeg

It wasn't only the locals who were interested in what Tryg - ENI had to offer. Three more riders have agreed to join the team on loan. The most promising is Fred Wright. The Briton is set to have a very busy year as he will be needed to ride as the first man in Démare's sprint leadout, make up the numbers in THJ's team timetrials, and protect Ovsyannikov once others are attritioned by the cobbles. He'll be able to commune with fellow English-speaker Ricardo Broxham when they ride together in the TTT squads. The most questionable arrival is Matias Malmberg. Nothing in his previous outings suggests he will be capable of making much of an immediate contribution and should he develop into the kind of leadout that some have predicted it won't be Tryg - ENI that benefits. He is, however, a Danishman in need of a ride.

LoaneesFLMOHITTSTRSRCCBSPACFGDHPR
F. Wright74697169727370697172766769
R. Broxham68696971686868606767676571
M. Malmberg66585861606862586769605868

TheManxMissile
Some great pick-ups. Big fan of Ovsy, and Pedersen is ideal for your team. Nice work.
i.imgur.com/UmX5YX1.jpgi.imgur.com/iRneKpI.jpgi.imgur.com/fljmGSP.jpgi.imgur.com/qV5ItIc.jpgimgur.com/dr2BAI6.jpgimgur.com/KlJUqDx.jpg[/img[img]]https://imgur.com/yUygrQ.jpgi.imgur.com/C1rG9BW.jpgi.imgur.com/sEDS7gr.jpg

jandal7
Four awesome signings, great additions to the team. Well done Smile
24/02/21 - kandesbunzler said “I don't drink famous people."
15/08/22 - SotD said "Your [jandal's] humour is overrated"
11/06/24 - knockout said "Winning is fine I guess. Truth be told this felt completely unimportant."

[ICL] Santos-Euskadi | [PT] i.imgur.com/c85NSl6.png Xero Racing

i.imgur.com/PdCbs9I.png
i.imgur.com/RPIlJYr.png
5x i.imgur.com/wM6Wok5.png x5
i.imgur.com/olRsxdu.png
2x pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/funniest21.png x2
2x i.imgur.com/TUidkLG.png x2

Luis Leon Sanchez
Some great signings and I'm happy to see Ovsya get his pay day at a team that will, from the sounds of it, invest into him to help him fulfil his potential. Given the interest in him, I regret not holding onto him to sell but I'm glad you've got him and can't wait to see how he looks now and into the future!

kandesbunzler26
I have to echo the others, with the plans for Ovsya shining through he could already be a big thread in this year's cobbled classics. Also some nice talents you gathered there!
i.imgur.com/77VDWQo.jpeg

i.ibb.co/PC3Kfz9/Signature2020.pngi.ibb.co/Hpc4z3S/FINALUSER.pngpcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/mostimproved-bk26.png

quadsas
Better not be a bait and switch. Ovsya was gonna get training for me, I hope to see that. Can NEVER go wrong with a Žalgiris Academy graduate
deez

Nemolito
Sojberg Pedersen as another nice regional talent for Tryg, don't let this one go though Pfft Ovsya could indeed be a very dangerous rider this season already, curious to see what you plan to do with him.
www.pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/newmember.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgreporter21.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2022/mgtoty.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/moty-cunego.png

AbhishekLFC
Ovsya is a fun rider to have around with his verstatility. Always liked him. Will be interesting to see how you go with him. Some nice regional pickups otherwise as well.

redordead
Yes! A cobble trained Ovsya would definitely be fun something fun to see Grin

Looks like my guy Fred Wright has a big season ahead of him. I'll follow your team for that reason as well Smile

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

liefwarrior
The Few Final Finds
Tryg - ENI rounds out their squad with three minor acquisitions
www.feltet.dk/octo_cms/files/Feltet.dk/U17_DM_sejr_Adam_Holm_Jorgensen.jpg
Having already scored themselves a marquee signing for the season in the form of Alexandr Ovsyannikov, Tryg - ENI's options for further movement were quite seriously curtailed. It was necessary to mobilise a not insignificant number of resources in order to secure the Kazakh star. Despite a number of interesting propositions and some light sprinklings of speculation, absent the departure of one of the squad's key components all that remained was to smooth out the sharp edges.

The first potential pitfall to be filled in was the lack of a leadout train. The arrival of Casper Pedersen had provided one building block and the development of Rasmus Iversen into a capable rouleur had conjured up another, but it was only once the team had secured the signature of Fabio Silvestre that Démare's supporters could become confident that he'd have the support he needed for the coming campaign. At 34, Silvestre is entering the twilight of his career; having spent nearly a decade as one of the top sprinters in the peloton, he has a wealth of experience to draw upon when shepherding Démare into the closing kilometres.

Nor is the Portuguese limited to just one note. In addition to his duties as a leadout man, we wouldn't be too surprised to find him spending a raceday or two in the saddle of a TT-bike. Considering this selection in conjunction with the arrival of Scott Davies, who has joined on a temporary loan from Lidl Cycling, it is evident that Maes has managed to put together a rather well rounded TTT squad. It is a discipline which is relatively unfamiliar to the former flandrien but after the disaster at the Tour of South Africa - where Démare, who had been on track for an easy overall victory, lost more than five minutes in a single stage - it was readily apparent that it was not sustainable to simply ignore the issue. Although they might not be staffed with the biggest names and, thus, might not be capable of topping the charts, this new crew ought to be better at maintaining the cohesion necessary to keep the leadership on the straight and narrow.

Whereas Davies and Silvestre can slot into the timetrials with immediate effect, the team's final signings was one for the future. A promising young rouleur, Adam Holm Jørgensen is the latest Dane to enter Tryg's development programme. Already he and the earlier-arrived Rasmus Søjberg Pedersen are already drawing comparisons to another Danish duo: Tryg - ENI's very own Rasmus Iversen and Mathias Norsgaard. Denmark were just one step away from victory in the TTT at the 2023 World Championship; is it that much of a reach to imagine they will make it to the top once Holm Jørgensen and Søjberg Pedersen have matured? With potentially half the team riding for Tryg - ENI as well, exciting stuff!

Even if the fanfare hasn't been quite as significant for this trio as for the earlier signings, that shouldn't diminish their impact. Maes has done very well to round off the team with some quality domestiques, adding much-needed depth and character to the squad. In Silvestre there is a chance to wipe away the memory of Kump; of slightly lesser renown, but perhaps slightly better performance. In Holm Jørgensen there is one for the future. In Davies there is the added layer of protection needed to ensure Tobias Halland Johannessen's return is a successful one. Not long now before we get to see the lads in action.

⮩ TMM, LLS, quadsas, Nemolito, Abhi, redordead: Ovsyannikov!

Nice to see the number of fans Ovsyannikov has already. I think that the (not at all veiled) allusion is as far as I can go on confirming what kind of personal development Ovsyannikov might be undergoing over the off-season, at least until the finalised training lists are released. I'm hoping that the slight decline in quality on the pavés will be enough to secure the immediate impact some of you have predicted. If it was last season and we had to compete against Stallaert and Theuns at the height of their powers I don't think much would come of it. As it stands, though? There is some slight hope.

⮩ TMM: Pedersen!

We would've loved to have had Pedersen last season as well, but given we didn't acquire him yesteryear the next best moment has to be this year. It really is perfect: we have the history, we have the nationality, and we have the need.

⮩ jandal7, kandesbunzler26, Nemolito: Søjberg Pedersen!

Given the success we have had with Norsgaard (thinking particularly of his efforts to secure us promotion back to the ProContinental Tour) it was really a no brainer to go after Søjberg. I'm surprised he didn't end up more expensive, although the decision to let go of Blume Levy (and the resultant bidding war) might have played a part in that. With this one I'll be sure to hold on tight.

⮩ redordead: Wright!

I think Wright is the class of our loan-ins this year. Can only say that I have been very grateful to have his name on the teamsheet whilst I've been planning the squads for the coming season. Apologies for not having as complete coverage of the guys on loan; they'll be sure to receive some highlights once the season-proper begins.

liefwarrior
National Champions
The departure of Similo Nyoni means that the world will have to miss out on the beautiful Swazi jersey that the team at Gobik had been cooking up. Fortunately, Costa Seibeb did stick with the team following his double in the Namibian National Championships; this means he will ride in the national colours in both road and timetrial stages. We also secured another national champion from the transfer market: Fabio Silvestre being the Portuguese representative in this year's peloton.

Namibian National Road Race Champion
Costa Seibeb

i.imgur.com/38pNcE8.png

Namibian National Time Trial Champion
Costa Seibeb

i.imgur.com/520nEeV.png

Portuguese National Road Race Champion
Fabio Silvestre

i.imgur.com/aHXMsXV.png

Laurens147
A great young core with THJ and Ovsy Shock Added with Demare and some Danish dynamite, should be an interesting season once again.

Looking forward to race against your team!
MG - Lotto - Caloi
[MG] New Manager of the Year - PCM.daily Awards 2022

DarkWolf
Those are some nice champion jerseys! I am looking forward to spot them in the peloton. Good luck in the new season!
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/newmember21.png

liefwarrior
Arnaud Démare
(palmarès will be filled out throughout the season)
i.imgur.com/nXp4AoH.png
Tour Down Under (2.1)

i.imgur.com/gxRgCT9.png
Tour Down Under ∣ General
i.imgur.com/w76ABZX.png
Tour Down Under ∣ Points
i.imgur.com/cb2oPoX.png
Tour Down Under ∣ Mountain
firstcycling.com/img/mini/Flatt.png
Tour Down Under ∣ Stage 1
firstcycling.com/img/mini/Smaakupert.png
Tour Down Under ∣ Stage 2
Tour Down Under ∣ Stage 3
firstcycling.com/img/mini/Smaakupert-MF.png
Tour Down Under ∣ Stage 4
Tour Down Under ∣ Stage 5
Tour Down Under ∣ Stage 6
Tour of Guadeloupe (2.1)
i.imgur.com/O0pPrwA.png
Tour of Guadeloupe ∣ General
i.imgur.com/w76ABZX.png
Tour of Guadeloupe ∣ Points
i.imgur.com/vgJBRDx.png
Tour of Guadeloupe ∣ Mountain
Tour of Guadeloupe ∣ Stage 1
Tour of Guadeloupe ∣ Stage 2
Tour of Guadeloupe ∣ Stage 3
Tour of Guadeloupe ∣ Stage 4
Tirreno - Adriatico (2.PT)
i.imgur.com/k1XiINN.png
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ General
i.imgur.com/9vg10b7.png
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Points
i.imgur.com/w76ABZX.png
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Mountain
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Stage 1
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Stage 2
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Stage 3
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Stage 4
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Stage 5
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Stage 6
firstcycling.com/img/mini/Tempo.png
Tirreno - Adriatico ∣ Stage 7 (Epilogue)
Milano San Remo (PTM)
Milano San Remo
Tour of South Africa (2.1)
i.imgur.com/k1XiINN.png
Tour of South Africa ∣ General
i.imgur.com/P8vYcCP.png
Tour of South Africa ∣ Points
i.imgur.com/w76ABZX.png
Tour of South Africa ∣ Mountain
Tour of South Africa ∣ Stage 1
Tour of South Africa ∣ Stage 2
Tour of South Africa ∣ Stage 3
Tour of South Africa ∣ Stage 4 (TTT)
Tour of South Africa ∣ Stage 5
Tour of South Africa ∣ Stage 6
Strade Bianche (1.HC)
Strade Bianche
Tour of Lithuania (2.PTHC)
i.imgur.com/O0pPrwA.png
Tour of Lithuania ∣ General
i.imgur.com/Ps4dFva.png
Tour of Lithuania ∣ Points
i.imgur.com/w76ABZX.png
Tour of Lithuania ∣ Mountain
Tour of Lithuania ∣ Stage 1
Tour of Lithuania ∣ Stage 2
Tour of Lithuania ∣ Stage 3 (TTT)
Tour of Lithuania ∣ Stage 4
GP Wallonie (1.1)
GP Wallonie
Vuelta a España (GT2)
i.imgur.com/Ps4dFva.png
Vuelta a España ∣ General
i.imgur.com/w76ABZX.png
Vuelta a España ∣ Points
i.imgur.com/cb2oPoX.png
Vuelta a España ∣ Mountain
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 1
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 2
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 3
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 4
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 5
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 6
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 7
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 8 (ITT)
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 9
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 10
firstcycling.com/img/mini/Fjell-MF.png
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 11
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 12
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 13
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 14
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 15
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 16
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 17
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 18
firstcycling.com/img/mini/Fjell.png
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 19 (ITT)
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 20
Vuelta a España ∣ Stage 21
Euskal Bizikleta (2.1)
i.imgur.com/O0pPrwA.png
Euskal Bizikleta ∣ General
i.imgur.com/w76ABZX.png
Euskal Bizikleta ∣ Points
i.imgur.com/Ps4dFva.png
Euskal Bizikleta ∣ Mountain
Euskal Bizikleta ∣ Stage 1
Euskal Bizikleta ∣ Stage 2
Euskal Bizikleta ∣ Stage 3
Euskal Bizikleta ∣ Stage 4
GP Lugano (1.HC)
GP Lugano
Tour of Britian (2.1)
i.imgur.com/k1XiINN.png
Tour of Britain ∣ General
i.imgur.com/P8vYcCP.png
Tour of Britain ∣ Points
i.imgur.com/w76ABZX.png
Tour of Britain ∣ Mountain
Tour of Britain ∣ Stage 1
Tour of Britain ∣ Stage 2
Tour of Britain ∣ Stage 3
Tour of Britain ∣ Stage 4
Tour of Britain ∣ Stage 5

Edited by liefwarrior on 16-09-2024 22:41

Fabianski
Well, now I can see why PT managers want to abandon wildcards for PCT teams Pfft
Démare definitely isn't an opponent I'm looking forward to meet in Tirreno, MSR or the Vuelta...
I guess his PCT calendar is pretty nice, though. He still won't like the TTTs in South Africa and Lithuania (mistakenly labelled as ITT), but in particular in ToSA he's been doing great as a stage hunter last year. And the modified course in Britain with the ITT gone (although you still have it in your calendar) might also suit him now - unsure whether S5 is too hard for him, though. But with TDU and Euskal he still has two stage races he should actually win even post-decline (and maybe even next year still). Exceeding last year's total wouldn't be a surprise at all, given that even as a declined version he's still PCT's best hilly sprinter by far. Just the competition in plain sprinter races hasn't necessarily gotten easier with Coquard's arrival, but I suspect the two French legends won't clash a lot - maybe not even at all outside Guadeloupe?

knockout
I love to see those PT appearances by Demare. Every sprint stage won by a PCT rider is a good one and Demare deserves some high profile successes towards the end of his iconic career Grin
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
Sheep! Yummy!
Sheep! Yummy!