View Thread
 Print Thread
The Politics Thread
Ad Bot
Posted on 16-09-2024 10:25
Bot Agent

IP: None  
Crommy
Well, this is just a thread primarily for me and issoisso, but others are free to join in. Given your strong views issoisso, I'll let you choose the first topic to argue, sorry, I mean discuss Wink
emoticons4u.com/happy/042.gif

issoisso
sorry. I prefer not to. trust me, it'll turn violent. I'm a bit too pationate on some of the world's issues (read: wars)

I'll try to stay away from this thread Crommy. sorry.

Crommy
Come on, I love debates, and I really don't mind if you get violent - it just shows how much you care about somthing Grin

CrueTrue
Well, actually I dream of becoming a politician so I have some views too Pfft Just need a subject.

http://www.pcmdaily.com
Crommy
Lets start off with a fairly hard topic, great for discussion, and something that I've wanted to debate for a while.

Can true (yes, true communism, not that Soviet rubbish) actually work?

I believe that it both can and cannot. The problem is, I don't feel it can work on a large scale, as for everyone to be equal, everyone must have an equal say in running affairs, and organising that kind of level of equality for thousands or millions would be impossible. Well actually, not possible, but extremely hard, and very time consuming, nothing would get done. On a small scale, it of course could work, as it's easy to decide what to do as you only need a quick vote, making it a fair, communist decision. But how can you do it for a whole country - you can't have a ruler or leader, that isn't true communism - everyone must decide on all policies the government makes. It just wouldn't work

Crommy
hmmm, nobody seems to want to debate. Its strange, we can always debate randomly in a topic, but when asked to think of a topic to be discussed that everyone wants to join in, we're stumped. Grin
Seriously, and ideas for debated welcome, I'll join in straight away

SportingNonsense
In theory Communism would work well, in practice it just didn't. Thats human nature for you.
farm8.staticflickr.com/7458/9357923136_f1e68270f3_n.jpg

sakai5
Don't know if u read something about Maslow. But in his theory of people priorities it appears own ambition as one. What i mean is that want needed to be praise, to be good in something more than others. How can an hard worker can be equal of a lazy one. Equal justice is OK. But equal status is different and even more complex.

Crommy
Thank you sakai, that was a much clearer and more eloquent version of what I wanted to say

Karl_rab
Maybe you should focus on a political scandal in cycling seeing as the majority of the forum is interested in cycling and not politics Pfft.
Maybe start with the Landis Arbitration panels decision, its coming up soon.
img144.imageshack.us/img144/1006/millwallsigiv0.png
img213.imageshack.us/img213/1690/ubda1880wh5.gif
img137.imageshack.us/img137/2175/ubd4608al5.png
img148.imageshack.us/img148/543/ubd4858xj8.png

Polti
In my view, communism can't work by definition. people respond to incentives. and in communism you don't have any incentives to to study or something. you don't have incentives to work hard and give your best. one possibility would be to make some parameters for different jobs or something like that, but that would be the opposite of the communism-thought and too time wasting.

Crommy
Yes, but in communism, if everyone is equal, there is some incentive - the harder you work, the more you produce, and the more you get. It's difficult though, that would only work on a local level. Theoretically, for communism to work, you'd have to pslit whole countries down into thousands of independent communes. However, the human population would then stagnate - no technological advances or anything

Polti
hmm, i can't follow you; why do you think that in communism you get more, the harder you work?

Crommy
Everything has to be shared equally. Therefore the more there is in total, then the more each person gets. I know this can't work for most goods, but for items like food, it would work. However, it would rely on all people working hard, which requires trust. Trust is fundamental to communism, and is why it will probably never work on a global scale

Polti
yes, thats the point. there cannot be a choice of a society. every individual makes his own decision and every individual has different preferences. that turns into the famous free-rider problem when someone thinks that its no problem that i don't work hard and the others do and so i have more food for example without working hard. and because the most or even all do think so you have the problem of communism.
Edited by Polti on 11-07-2007 17:12

Crommy
Boris for mayor of LondonGrinGrinGrin
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politic...897028.stm
How great would that be, bumbling Boris actually given power. Funny for all outside of London, awful for those living inside

Dan_Grr
At last, I discovered this precious. I shall burn this thread into oblivion, because I AM...

i9.tinypic.com/6btk57m.png

IFF
Crommy wrote:
Everything has to be shared equally. Therefore the more there is in total, then the more each person gets. I know this can't work for most goods, but for items like food, it would work. However, it would rely on all people working hard, which requires trust. Trust is fundamental to communism, and is why it will probably never work on a global scale

but if we were to look at each small community and not on a global scale , then with the community working together, the community could, in theory at least, work well as communists

or something to make in those sort of words

rodda
elections to be called in australia soon (not that anybody cares)
www.thecoolwebsite.co.uk/images/userbars/moderator.gif

www.thecoolwebsite.co.uk
Crommy
Then we would be going backwards, not forwards as a human race

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?