jph27, TheManxMissile, fjhoekie

· Total Members: 161,013
· Newest Member: JasonPaump
View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] Teams HQ
 Print Thread
[CT] Duvel-Tsingtao 2024 | "Nunc est Bibendum"
Booker
@Fabianski - What does that say about the current crop of MG managers? Far fewer financial institutions and insurance companies (e.g. RBC / UBS), we're all focused on doom spending and drinking! The kind of people that know how to have a good time - that Podium Ambition manager knows how to really get after it, judging by the GIFs in his 'voted best' thread Pfft (wink, wink)

@Dippofix - This guy is a connoisseur of Belgian brews. I have to confess I haven't had Zinnebir, but it looks nice from a cursory search. To be honest, even just a nice Hoegaarden with an orange wedge is a nice one.

Onto the MG, looking further into the post-renewals DB, I can't see a world in which we're not in each other's hair for the scraps of Chinese riders out there. One of us will have to focus on the domestic a little less in this first season, and I'm not sure Tsingtao will allow us to ignore their prescriptive quota. Top down diktats are a very common practice for Tsingtao and though the executives are very happy to share their free samples, they expect their money to be used for the betterment of Chinese cycling.

Their CEO is a keen fan of Chen Shikai, so the directeur-general of Duvel-Tsingtao has been trying to figure out a respectful way of letting the CEO know that spunking half the budget on 1 guy won't be the way to go.

kandesbunzler26
Welcome (back, though we never raced against each other) to the MG! Good to see some experienced and already pretty active manager returning. I'm pretty sure we'll talk in transfers (I'll make that sure anyway Wink), so best of luck and see you there!
i.imgur.com/77VDWQo.jpeg

i.ibb.co/PC3Kfz9/Signature2020.pngi.ibb.co/Hpc4z3S/FINALUSER.pngpcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/mostimproved-bk26.png

DarkWolf
Fabianski wrote:
(or even in the riders' bottles, who knows ^^)

Oh, damn, that's why they didn't share bottles during races. Grin

Booker wrote:
@Fabianski - What does that say about the current crop of MG managers? Far fewer financial institutions and insurance companies (e.g. RBC / UBS), we're all focused on doom spending and drinking!

I am really mad on @Nemolito, he could bring another great addition to the table with a true Mexican producer and not some lousy fried chicken thing. Wink I'll leave this for example. Grin

sftequilashop.com/cdn/shop/collections/montelobos-mezcal-202873.jpg

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/newmember21.png

Booker
remeng.rosselcdn.net/sites/default/files/mediastore/1558707042_logo-ardennais.jpg

(10th August 2024 - Libremont, Belgium)

Meeting in a small brasserie in Libremont, just one town away from the Duvel-Tsingtao cycling team's headquarters, Jean Wauters, the Directeur Sportif, met with L'Ardennais to elaborate on the team's formation and objectives for its debut season in 2024.

Arnaud Lambert, L'Ardennais: Thank you for meeting with us today. As you can imagine, the launch of Duvel-Tsingtao has caused quite a stir in our region, with locals hopeful of yet another competitive Belgian team heading into the upper echelons of the MG. Can you tell us a bit more about how the team came to be?

Jean Wauters, Duvel-Tsingtao: Yes of course, and thanks for having me. Funnily enough, the directeurs of the team were initially approached by Tsingtao, who have major interests in a number of breweries and what could be classed as gastropubs in emerging suburbs in China. They have been seeing an increase in awareness around pollution and environmental impact of combustion engines in transportation, and a clear move towards more sustainable mobility, whether that is with electric vehicles or even in many places, cycling. Many people will arrive at these gastropubs on bicycle, and Tsingtao has seen the success of Rapha's cycle cafes in the West. They are interested in exploring that model, but of course with some light beer options as well!

Tsingtao approached us to locate the team in Belgium and specifically the Ardennes, given the country's iconic heritage in cycling and the world-class talent available in this part of the world. Tsingtao believes the pedigree and training set-up offered in Belgium is an ideal launchpad for China to take a greater role in cycling. I believe the CCP has also gotten behind this mission and sees Tsingtao as a palatable, no pun intended, representative company into the global MG landscape.

AL: Thanks for explaining the rationale, but that doesn't explain why there's a partnership with Duvel? Surely there's competition between the two sponsors, both being beer sellers?

JW: I don't know the full details, but when Tsingtao representatives came to Belgium to look around, they had meetings with a number of prospective partners. I was told that the meeting with Duvel was the most raucous and lasted well into the night, so make of that what you will. Also, with Duvel's history of research and development, Tsingtao believes it could even work together with Duvel to develop further products related to cycling for the Chinese market.

AL: What sort of products? You mean like beer-flavoured gel?

JW: I couldn't possibly comment!

AL: Very interesting. But moving onto goals for this coming season and specifically how the team is thinking about roster composition, are you able to give any clues away to the fans?

JW: Wouldn't the other CT managers like to know?! As you can imagine, I can't say too much, but I'd be happy to give a little bit of insight on what we're look for.

The medium-term mission is to develop talent from both partner nations, with a strong emphasis on expanding China's roster of top level riders. But thankfully, both partners recognise the best place to develop talent from is a position of strength, and the short-term aim is to get promoted to the PCT division as rapidly as possible.

This season in the CT division, Duvel-Tsingtao will need to build a competitive roster. We aim to be versatile across terrains, and draw on the Belgian heritage of being a strong squad across the pavé, but also with genuine leadership on the mountains and in the hills. We also see some potential for Chinese leadership in certain disciplines, which would be an added bonus.

There is a clear desire for at least half of the squad to be made up of Chinese and Belgian riders, and we think with riders being made available either in free agency or listed on the transfer market, we will be able to accomplish this goal.

But as I say, the primary aim is to get promoted at the first time of asking - I don't believe I will be allowed to stay on as Directeur Sportif if this main objective isn't satisfied, and I would expect both sponsors to say the same thing.

AL: Thank you for providing that detail Jean, very interesting. Best of luck with the upcoming team building and for the season ahead.

jandal7
Looking forward to seeing how you balance that regional focus and wanting to get straight into PCT - definitely very doable for you but do expect a strong field of managers all also looking at promotion this season. Excited for it Grin
24/02/21 - kandesbunzler said “I don't drink famous people."
15/08/22 - SotD said "Your [jandal's] humour is overrated"
11/06/24 - knockout said "Winning is fine I guess. Truth be told this felt completely unimportant."

[ICL] Santos-Euskadi | [PT] i.imgur.com/c85NSl6.png Xero Racing

i.imgur.com/PdCbs9I.png
i.imgur.com/RPIlJYr.png
5x i.imgur.com/wM6Wok5.png x5
i.imgur.com/olRsxdu.png
2x pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/funniest21.png x2
2x i.imgur.com/TUidkLG.png x2

Ad Bot
Posted on 19-09-2024 22:17
Bot Agent

IP: None  
Booker
@kandesbunzler26 - We look forward to talking, especially if we have no choice in the matter!

DarkWolf - I fully agree on Nemolito. Surely agave is the national product, stop taking the US' main export product! Though if he added in a waffles element with the fried chicken, the road conditions might turn a bit too slick with all the salivating from the peloton Pfft

jandal7 - You've hit your quota on engagement on my HQ Wink We will not be intimidated by all this hype for other 'strong' managers! We will be lobbying for other managers to take it nice and easy this transfer season, play the long-game, go for a full roster of home-grown development talents! And our team budget has already included 'entertainment costs' for free beer giveaways just before the transfer season opens, hopefully that'll help...

Booker
FIRST SIGNINGS ARRIVE

Duvel-Tsingtao is absolutely delighted to begin its maiden season with a set of five signings to begin laying the foundations for the initial CT roster.

Without further ado, please be introduced to the team's new additions:

Quinten Hermans
29yo
€50,000
FLMOHITTSTRSRCCBSPACFGDHPR

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/C1/ToA/S9/ToAS9_46.png

Hermans earning himself the KoM jersey in last year's Tour of America

Quick analysis: How did Duvel-Tsingtao manage to pick Hermans up for €50,000? Management is excited to see Hermans in both baroudeur and domestique capacities in the 2024 season, excelling in the Ardennes classics, ideally.

Previous team: Simba Cement - Tanga Fresh

Tosh Van der Sande
34yo
€50,000

dgalywyr863hv.cloudfront.net/pictures/athletes/1750959/2125685/6/full.jpg

Quick analysis: After a season chained to the CT sidelines, like his teammate Stan Dewulf, on the previous Mercatone roster, Van der Sande is the veteran of the new team. He will provide much needed maturity and experience for the expected influx of younger riders, especially given Tsingtao's stated ambitions to develop talent from China. He's got more than enough stamina in those ageing legs to last some of the challenging sprint stages, and hopefully lead out the soon-to-be-named sprint leader.

Previous team: Mercatone Uno - Weba

Stan Dewulf
27yo
€50,000

d2779tscntxxsw.cloudfront.net/606028aebb4ba.png

Quick analysis: The youngest of Duvel-Tsingtao's first crop of signings and another ex-Mercatone rider, Dewulf at least had one ride in 2023, in the season opening GP Gisborne. Management is confident it can fill out Dewulf's schedule in 2024, and is interested to see if his excellent resistance stat leads to a breakaway challenge or two.

Previous team: Mercatone Uno - Weba

Christophe Noppe
30yo
€50,000

www.wielerflits.be/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Noppe--scaled-e1635169353115-1200x576.jpg

Quick analysis: Joining from disbanded PT side, Binance, Noppe is a domestique with varied qualities (sensing a theme here?). From the flats, to cobbles, to quasi-leadout abilities, Noppe is another useful minimum wage addition.

Previous team: Binance

Timo Roosen
31yo
€50,000

d1lk6qpkbduawh.cloudfront.net/_1701x927_crop_center-center_85_none/Roosenbanner.jpg

Quick analysis: The first foreigner of the Duvel-Tsingtao roster, but not deviating too far from home. The Dutchman will certainly fly on the cobbles and he's got an aggressive streak in him. Also joining with PT experience in hand, Roosen will be the key support on the cobbles this season.

Previous team: Rabobank

DOMESTIC QUOTA COUNTER: 4 / 5 (80%)

Edited by Booker on 05-09-2024 12:25

kandesbunzler26
Some great regional signings, all on minimum wage give you a nice ground to further build on! I could swear you're not new to this game Wink
i.imgur.com/77VDWQo.jpeg

i.ibb.co/PC3Kfz9/Signature2020.pngi.ibb.co/Hpc4z3S/FINALUSER.pngpcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/mostimproved-bk26.png

Jakstar22
Great start! Almost like you have previously made a MG team before :lol:

Great signings though! Keen to see how the team continues to develop

knockout
Love all those versatile rider signings. Team is off to a good start.
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

liefwarrior
A very nice start with several riders who should be very good value at their wages; not something that will necessarily reflected in their own scoring but should prop up whatever leaders you end up bringing in.

alexkr00
Good signing with Roosen. Perhaps going on minimum wage in the FA market will teach him not to ask for so much in renewals Smile
i.imgur.com/S1M3OtV.png
i.imgur.com/wzkfv39.png
i.imgur.com/Uhicj1C.png
i.imgur.com/Ie56lsQ.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/avatar21.png

AbhishekLFC
Very nice start to transfers with all those min wage pick ups Smile

Nemolito
Echoing the others, some very nice regional and versatile riders Smile
www.pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/newmember.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgreporter21.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2022/mgtoty.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/moty-cunego.png

jandal7
Great great start to transfers for you with a bunch of great quality minimum wage pickups, big fan of all of the signings Grin
24/02/21 - kandesbunzler said “I don't drink famous people."
15/08/22 - SotD said "Your [jandal's] humour is overrated"
11/06/24 - knockout said "Winning is fine I guess. Truth be told this felt completely unimportant."

[ICL] Santos-Euskadi | [PT] i.imgur.com/c85NSl6.png Xero Racing

i.imgur.com/PdCbs9I.png
i.imgur.com/RPIlJYr.png
5x i.imgur.com/wM6Wok5.png x5
i.imgur.com/olRsxdu.png
2x pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/funniest21.png x2
2x i.imgur.com/TUidkLG.png x2

Caspi
Quinten Hermans is a great signing, congrats. We wanted to renew his contract, but he wouldn't accept anything close to what you've signed him for. I'm wondering what made him change his mind.

Booker
@kandesbunzler26, Jakstar22, knockout, AbhishekLFC, Nemolito, jandal7 - Cheers guys, I was expecting a little more competition for some of these signings (but of course less competition for others ones being lost out on), overall very happy with the first couple of days of this transfer window. And thanks for the positive notes!

@liefwarrior - I could maybe be looking at things through beer-coloured goggles, but I actually think a couple of these could be useful (read: annoying) breakaway riders at times, especially Roosen, Dewulf and Hermans. I agree with your sentiment that these guys will ultimately be helpers and thanks for the feedback, but I actually hope we get some sneaky scoring from the fight/resistance/stamina combos.

@alexkr00, Caspi - I won't say the barn keg party at the start of free agency had nothing to do with it, but I did see Roosen and Hermans off to the side drunkenly complaining about their previous managers, before doing belly shots off each other. That felt like the right time to bring out the contracts and pens for signatures. Pfft

redordead
I'm excited to see what other arrivals are on the way, but I'm getting some recent Crabpack vibes from the first batch Smile

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

Booker
TRANSFER UPDATE (2/3)

With the transfer window more than halfway through, Duvel-Tsingtao management is pleased to provide an update on further signings as it builds out its maiden roster, including team leaders arriving:

Dion Smith
31yo
€150,000

www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2018/07/tour-de-france-dion-smith-in-survival-mode-after-carnage-on-the-cobbles/_jcr_content/par/video/image.dynimg.1280.q75.jpg/v1531721348917/Dion_Smith_Getty.jpg

Transfer fee: €500k from DK Zalgiris

Quick analysis: Duvel-Tsingtao's leader in the mountains/stage races this season, Dion Smith is a punchier alternative to the Jorgenson/Carapaz's of the CT division, but certainly no slouch across terrains. The Kiwi will be overmatched in races with a TT, but his fighting spirit and recovery will do him well, and he's another who brings PT experience to the roster.

Previous team: DK Zalgiris

Bert Van Lerberghe
32yo
€80,000

www.soudal-quickstepteam.com/images/team_rider/s_c/1200x1200/1412694391_1661457928.jpg

Quick analysis: Another rider signed on a relatively cheap wage, Bert Van Lerberghe could be a problem for the CT division in bunchy sprints after challenging cobbled segments. Van Lerberghe was a key budget target for the team, and we're delighted to pick him up.

King Lok Cheung
33yo
€70,000

slyvi-hosting.s3.amazonaws.com/teampages/1527584372481/images/imported/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/18cheungittasia.jpg

Quick analysis: A Hong Kongese rider on a Chinese team? A political statement for sure.

Cheung is yet another rider who joins with a PT pedigree, and will become a key TTist for team trials and individually, though the CT division looks to have gotten much stronger in this discipline. Management doesn't see huge value for money in the TT discipline, but is eager to see what Cheung can do.

Previous team: Polar

Xianjing Lyu
26yo
€200,000

cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/EjJVpM63B9tzsX9fk6H2ge.jpg

Transfer fee: €300k from Lidl Cycling

Quick analysis: Lyu, while only a young rider with time to further develop, is already a very interesting addition to the CT division puncheur contingent. His versatility across hills and mountains is something management sought out, with the hope that his stamina and acceleration will put in him position to take some sneaky stage and race winds. Management is under no illusions about Lyu's capabilities and views him a future super domestique, but for Duvel-Tsingtao's first season, he will lead the group tackling the hilly races - we also view his price as a bargain longer term.

Previous team: Lidl Cycling

Frederico Figueiredo
33yo
€50,000

portuguesecyclingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/WhatsApp-Image-2022-08-10-at-17.13.42-1180x787.jpeg

Quick analysis: The third former Binance rider on the Duvel-Tsingtao roster, Figueiredo is a stage race domestique supreme for the CT division, signed on the minimum wage. Another rider that management is very pleased to have join, the Portuguese will accompany Dion Smith to his races and blaze a trail for the main man to launch from. A major pickup for the roster, despite beginning his decline.

DOMESTIC QUOTA COUNTER: 6.5 / 10 (65%)

Edited by Booker on 05-09-2024 12:06

redordead
The team is coming together very nicely. Van Lerberghe looks like a steal at 80k. Dion Smith should also do very well at this level.
It's easy to see you've done this before Pfft

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
Ivanov winning
Ivanov winning