· Newest Member: christianbalee
View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] Teams HQ
 Print Thread
[PCT] Xero Racing '23 | Awards
jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

September Review | Hell Yeah
September had three huge races for us in the form of Balkans International, GP Lugano and Milano - Torino. It also contained the annual PTHC cobbles double-header, which we haven't missed since its inception and always takes place on the manager's birthday. Back in the Rowe/Debesay days we pulled out some great results in those races, but now its just hoping for a breakaway to platform some points, otherwise it could be a 0-pointer from two of our last remaining chances to score.

i.imgur.com/XLAtaNM.jpeg

Who else can be trusted to turn up in such a situation but Jamalidin Novardianto? The team legend was a key part of the 12-man breakaway, and ended up finishing 32nd in the Rheden GP, in a deep field of cobblers. Vermeersch acted as our leader in the peloton and just missed the points in 52nd.

i.imgur.com/2QVUSdL.jpeg

Hours later in the Tour of the Battenkill, we missed the breakaway and began to think a double-points day might be a tough battle for van Zyl. In the end our veteran South African road captain rode one of the finest classics of his career and finished a brilliant 16th. An awesome day with points out of two races we weren't expected to gain them!

i.imgur.com/aglspfN.png

Two days later it was a PCT punchy double header. Last year at the GP Lugano Hugo Houle was 4th, winning the sprint behind the late attackers. This time out he was 8th, coming 2nd in the sprint behind a bigger group of late attackers! A solid result, even if he might have dreamed of a win if the race came our way - hard to do with our best support squad with Areruya south of the border!

i.imgur.com/1IsxSdF.jpeg

So far in Areruya's classics campaign, he'd won at Strade Bianche, before the other riders showed great cooperation and tactics to tire him out and beat him into third at the GP Wallonie. Back in Italy, though, and he was back to winning ways - not with his usual attacking panache, but with a dominant sprint, leading it out and never looking like losing. Feels safe to say its his favourite country to race in so far, ever since his fantastic 2021 at Tirreno-Adriatico, the Giro d'Italia and Giro di Lombardia, and in 2023 making it 2/3 of the Italian PCT classics. A chance to sweep them in Emilia next month.
Rider of the Month
Four wins, 396 points, and the team's first PTHC GC victory...

i.imgur.com/bZODsAx.jpegSecuring the GC in style - Balkans International, Stage 6

Joseph Areruya
Total RoTM Wins | 9
RoTM Wins This Season | 2
Rankings
1pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lph.pngLos Pollos Hermanos4250
2pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/jur.pngJura GIANTS3642
3pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ino.pngIndosat Ooredoo3141
4pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/aab.pngAssa Abloy3088
5pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/brs.pngBralirwa - Stevens Bikes3045
6pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing2926
7pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/fas.pngFastned2910
8pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lpu.pngLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam2858
9pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/sfi.pngSony - Force India2759

Finally the boost in the rankings we'd been chasing, with nearly 500 points in our 14 RDs this month, and our meteoric rise into the promotion spots is almost complete, with Bennett in the Tour of Japan (won last appearance), Houle in the Euskal Bizikleta (won last appearance), and three Areruya classics (is a beast), it might be a stretch to say we can finally breathe, but we can certainly attack the month with some swagger, and true belief that this miracle comeback, from the bottom half of the table halfway through the season to the Top 5, is really, truly, possible.

AbhishekLFC
Results and points keep getting better month to month and the opportunity is ripe to make the final push towards direct promotion in October Pfft

Ad Bot
Posted on 19-09-2024 18:04
Bot Agent

IP: None  
jandal7
AbhishekLFC wrote:
Results and points keep getting better month to month and the opportunity is ripe to make the final push towards direct promotion in October Pfft

Absolutely - we knew we backloaded the calendar but not like this! Momentum is there but still have a ways to go yet!

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

October Review Pt.1 | Surely Not?
One of the biggest months in team's history kicked off with one of the team's historically best races: the Tour of Japan. Bennett won each of the last two editions of the race in 2019 and 2020, taking three stage wins and winning both of the Points and KOM jerseys. He entered this edition as one of the top favourites, and for his last race at the peak of his powers, we were greatly looking forward to this race. He had a great team around him, with Fouche and Pidcock both here to support and chase the U25 jersey.

i.imgur.com/G48Yz8Z.jpeg

It started perfectly, with Nils Schomber grabbing yellow with his third prologue victory of the season. We made damn sure the team didn't repeat the mistake of treating him as our new GC leader like in California in our team briefing after the stage.

i.imgur.com/80n08sb.jpeg

Just kidding, they absolutely did do that again and Bennett lost a minute to many GC riders and two minutes to Higuita. What the fuck. I am going to jump in front of a bullet train.

Bennett showed his form with a solid 5th place on the MTT. He still had two minutes' deficit to the top GC riders but maybe a chance of some redemption on Stage 5.

i.imgur.com/0soC5h0.jpeg

Just kidding, he barely did anything on Stage 5 and then lost three more minutes on the final flat stage. He ended 17th on GC, one spot behind U25 winner Pidcock. A final hearty WHAT THE ABSOLUTE FUCK for a season of what the fucks.

i.imgur.com/NaMeZx5.jpeg

Hopefully at the Grand Prix Cycliste, Areruya could get our month back on track at a hilly classic. Billed as Part 2 of a PTHC trilogy fight this year with newly minted deadly rival Miguel Angel Lopez after the Balkans International, it was living up to that reputation as they sat side-by-side for most of the race before Lopez' teammate Polanc kicked off the attacks, and then they both followed the first big move by Skujins.

i.imgur.com/EW7ZkDw.jpeg

Lopez countered that move hard and nobody could follow, the Colombian quickly gaining a minute's lead which looked unassailable.

You'll never get an answer out of Areruya until the day he died for why he did what he did next. Was it a Cannibal-like desire to win absolutely everything, or was it just a need not to see Lopez win over him, but he chased hard, attacking and leading the group for kilometre after kilometre, long after everyone else had started thinking of second place, determined to chase down the lone leader. Eventually he had chasing company from Buchmann and Paez. Eventually they roped in Lopez as well as breakaway stragglers.

i.imgur.com/xQg71aY.jpeg

However this didn't leave anyone involved in that business left with much energy for the final sprint, with Areruya finishing 11th the best of the riders mentioned thus far, with Lopez falling out the back of the group and ending up 17th for his efforts. Perhaps the very definition of a Pyrrhic victory for Areruya in their burgeoning rivalry, and a second straight awful result from a race we thought would be a key source of points in our promotion chase, our two key leaders, our greatest ever rivals, stumbling as we come around the bend onto the finishing straight.

After doing so well to put ourselves in a position to see this comeback through, were we really going to throw it all away now?

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Euskal Bizikleta
12-15th of October | Top 5 Race Goal | C1
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/mg_euskal.jpg

After stumbling in the first two races of October, we had three more left in our promotion bid. Areruya had a PTHC and HC classic, but first it was time for Hugo Houle, finishing a disappointing season, to defend his GC title in the Basque Country.

i.imgur.com/aWtYJnx.jpeg

He missed out on bonus seconds but looked in sharp form on the first stage, as he and old rival and race favourite Arnaud Demare finished 4th and 5th respectively. On Stage 2, Demare would grab 12 bonus seconds while Houle could only manage 11th.

i.imgur.com/PBR9h0W.jpeg

On the tougher Stage 3, Houle made a final selection of 17 but could not manage much in the sprint. Going into the final stage, which he won in an upset last season on the hilltop finish, he sat tied with 10 others in 4th on GC, 20 seconds back of the yellow jersey Hayakawa.

i.imgur.com/dXHuLVZ.jpeg

Stage 4 saw a win for ex-Xero man Meurisse, as a large group of riders finished together, including Lagane, who would win the GC as the only rider who was ahead of the Houle group on GC heading into the stage. Houle was passed by Dzamastagic for the top of the s.t. group on stage countback, but still managed a very solid 3rd on GC to finish his season with a great result and his head held high. Some crucial points for us too as we hand the reigns over to Joseph Areruya for our final two races of the campaign.
Result
1Christopher LaganePodium Ambition15h05'05
2Mark DzamastagicLampre - Pinarello+ 8
3Hugo HouleXero Racings.t.
33Hodei Tesfaye HilargiXero Racing+ 2'44
41Johann Van ZylXero Racing+ 2'54
111Felix EngelhardtXero Racing+ 6'29
135Yacine HamzaXero Racing+ 9'35
170Jhon Stiven RamirezXero Racing+ 18'10

redordead
Houle with a really nice performance in what could've have been his last race for Xero Smile

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

AbhishekLFC
Houle doing a great job to get the promotion push back on track!

jandal7
@red - If it is to be so, it would have been a great one to go out with, yes Wink

@Abhi - Can always trust our Canadian legend to turn up big when it matters!

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Japan Cup
13th of October | Top 5 Team Goal | PTHC
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/c0_japancup.jpg

Hugo Houle had got us back on course, and now possibly the biggest race for us left was the Japan Cup, not least of all because it was actually our final Goal Race of the season. As it was an OR option with winning the Benelux Challenge, which we would have achieved, safe to say it would be a disappointment not to achieve it. We had a discussion with Areruya about energy management after the events in Canada, and we were good to go.

i.imgur.com/5DFymqZ.jpeg

On the third-to-last climb, it was once again Areruya and Lopez animating the race, trading respective attacks and neutralising the other.

i.imgur.com/3YOlpOg.jpeg

Vansevenant was the most active in the race, attacking twice and getting away with Beltran, being dropped by Beltran, caught by a favourites' group and attacking again to try and catch Beltran, which was matched by Areruya as everything came back together on the final circuit.

i.imgur.com/bGqLHU9.jpeg

Areruya set a high pace in the closing kilometres, and it looked like it would be a sprint after the descent.

i.imgur.com/qBSWCqZ.jpeg

He was on the front row coming out of the descent but was forced on the outside of the final corner, as Sagan lead from Lopez just ahead of our Rwandan champion.

i.imgur.com/1pxRI6f.jpeg

And Lopez would finally get some measure of revenge for the Balkans International as he overhauled Sagan to win, with Areruya only managing third. A solid finish in a PTHC field, our goal achieved and a big dose of points to our total, which moved us into a still-not-quite-real-feeling third place in the PCT with one race to go. Last year Areruya had a poor showing in the Giro dell'Emilia to drop us to 12th with 8th on the table at the end of the season. This time around, it was time for his redemption through securing our promotion.
Result
1Miguel Angel LopezEvonik - ELKO5h57'37
2Peter SaganBinances.t.
3Joseph AreruyaXero Racings.t.
68Salim KipkemboiXero Racing+ 5'18
93Alan BoileauXero Racings.t.
104Corbin StrongXero Racing+ 7'46
125Ilan Van WilderXero Racing+ 12'57
136Oier LazkanoXero Racing+ 19'23
141Kees DuyvesteynXero Racing+ 22'16

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Giro dell’Emilia
18th of October | Win Race Goal | HC
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/c0_emilia.jpg

The traditional PCT season closer of the Giro dell'Emilia saw Areruya put up his worst performance since he fully developed as a rider in last year's edition, over-extending himself, finishing 8th and losing multiple ranking positions in the process. This time we feel fairly confident our rankings goals will be achieved as we sit 3rd in the division with a small cushion to the promotion barrier - however we will need to be absolutely sure, and there's no better way to do that than for our man to get a little redemption here.

i.imgur.com/Qaj1hLq.jpeg

Areruya went for an opposite approach to last year, keeping his powder dry as his the team set a high pace in the peloton which saw next to no attacks. Kipkemboi's day was done at the foot of the final climb, leaving Areruya in good position in a group of 27.

i.imgur.com/lWqj9U7.jpeg

Under the red kite everyone opened their best sprint, and Areruya sat in a great position alongside the Sony past and present of Kelderman and Benoot, with Buchmann also on the front row.

i.imgur.com/oQg7tJ8.jpeg

With 500m our promotion looked secure as Areruya lead the sprint comfortably and would surely not miss the podium, however he more than anyone would want to do it in style, could he hold on? Buchmann and Benoot didn't look like cracking, Kelderman predictably did.

i.imgur.com/ol0l1m3.jpeg

Oh yes he can! For the 13th time this season, Areruya takes victory, and this is one of the sweetest of them all - our rankings position secured, a final sweet victory taken, the team back into the Pro Tour, and our main man sailing past 1500 points to cap off one of the greatest seasons the division has ever seen. What a man, what a moment!
Result
1Joseph AreruyaXero Racing4h40'31
2Emanuel BuchmannTeam UBS - Tissots.t.
3Tiesj BenootSony - Force Indias.t.
28Salim KipkemboiXero Racing+ 2'36
41Johann Van ZylXero Racing+ 3'39
65Henzo Tesfaye HerrariXero Racing+ 5'48
66Alan BoileauXero Racings.t.
107Kees DuyvesteynXero Racing+ 8'18
113Corbin StrongXero Racing+ 10'19
122Oier LazkanoXero Racing+ 11'46

redordead
I never saw this coming Pfft

Congrats on promotion. I'm sure Areruya will terrorize the PT in a not too dissimilar fashion as well Grin

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

Dippofix
Congrats on promotion, what a way for Areruya to cap off a beast season in style. Hopefully he can carry the good form into the Pro Tour!

jandal7
@redordead - Well, we'll give all the predictors their usual credit or shaming in the next post Pfft I'm not sure I can fairly give the same expectations to Areruya as you do looking at the calendar and the quality of competition - but I'd love to be proven wrong Grin

@Dippofix - Thank you! Grin

jandal7
i.imgur.com/65G7f15.png

2023 End-of-Season Rankings

The second season of our second stint in the Pro Continental Tour has come to an end, and despite being in the bottom half of the table halfway through the season, the team staged a remarkable comeback to become part of a very exciting promotion fight.

1pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lph.pngLos Pollos Hermanos4475
2pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/jur.pngJura GIANTS3938
3pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing3391
4pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/fas.pngFastned3271
5pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/aab.pngAssa Abloy3233
6pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ino.pngIndosat Ooredoo3225
7pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/brs.pngBralirwa - Stevens Bikes3170
8pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/sfi.pngSony - Force India3134
9pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lpu.pngLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam3067
10pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ubt.pngTeam UBS - Tissot2870
11pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lmp.pngLampre - Pinarello2867
12pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/p4e.pngTeam Popo4Ever p/b Morshynska2823
13pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/mck.pngMcCormick Pro Cycling2330
14pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/dev.pngDuckDuckGo - Everesting2265
15pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/trg.pngTryg - Gobyk2257
16pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/spr.pngSauber Petronas Racing2213
17pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/kmm.pngKraftwerk Man Machine2130
18pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/zal.pngDK Žalgiris2088
19pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/coc.pngColombini Cycling2066
20pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/zpc.pngZwift Pro Cycling1992
21pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/gla.pngGlanbia1804
22pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/tlt.pngTrans Looney Tunes1601
23pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ghn.pngGenii Hyundai N Cycling1308
24pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/snz.pngSpark-BNZ Racing1088

And while everyone knew from a long way out that there was no catching Los Pollos Hermanos out in front on their rebound back to the Pro Tour, or the Jura GIANTS in the runners-up spot on their back-to-back promotion charge, Xero Racing actually managed to overturn every single team in the scrap for the remaining promotion spots, securing the final spot on the podium, truly embodying the third-place meme. This is the team's highest finish in any division, a truly special achievement for a special squad, who also broke team records for total victories, classic victories, and stage wins.

1Joseph Areruyapcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing1511
2Eddie Dunbarpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/ino.pngIndosat Ooredoo1076
3Matti Manninenpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lph.pngLos Pollos Hermanos1052
4Alberto Dainesepcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/aab.pngAssa Abloy1050
5Marlen Zmorkapcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/lph.pngLos Pollos Hermanos948
23Thomas Pidcockpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing573
40George Bennettpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing401
78Hugo Houlepcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing257
112Nils Schomberpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing170
138Henok Tesfaye Heyipcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing126
143James Fouchepcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing115
178Jamalidin Novardiantopcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing82
187Johann van Zylpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing75
316Salim Kipkemboipcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing26
375Florian Vermeerschpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing13
380Ilan van Wilderpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing12
408Alan Boileaupcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing8
425Morne Van Niekerkpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing6
438Yacine Hamzapcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing5
450Corbin Strongpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing4
451Kees Duyvesteynpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing4
457Oier Lazkanopcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing3
-Jhon Stiven Ramirezpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing0
-Edgar Andres Pinzonpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing0
-Felix Engelhardtpcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Micros/xr0.pngXero Racing0

Speaking of records, although this is very much a team achievement there is one man above all else who made this happen, kicking off the comeback in Dauphine and delivering big down the stretch in Milano-Torino, Balkans International and Giro dell'Emilia - Joseph Areruya is our first ever Individual Standings winner, after being beaten into 2nd by Ahlstrand last year (Anthony Roux was also a narrow runner-up in the 2017 CT). And he did it in ridiculously dominant fashion - the gap from him to 2nd place Eddie Dunbar was larger than the gap from 2nd to 21st. What a season for our homegrown hero - 1511 points is a 70% increase on last season's already pretty large total. Not only did he step up his peak ability, but his clinicalness and consistency were light years improved from last season.

Without stepping on the toes of our end-of-season rider reviews, we should just note the vastly improved depth of our team this season (quiet you laughing in the back row!) - this promotion may have been built around a star turn, but he would only have beaten two other teams by himself. The often-criticised Nils Schomber provided 170 points - about the gap between us and non-promotion, while behind him were Tesfaye Heyi, Novardianto and van Zyl all finishing inside the Top 200 and providing non-leader scoring that we sorely lacked last year. Thomas Pidcock may not have quite met his wage (neither did any of our leaders), but still had an excellent first season in Xero colours with another off-season of development to come.

Now, time for the annual hindsight awards - our usual unserious review of pre-season predictions made about our team. Better than usual, but nobody got it right so there's something to criticise everywhere!

Predictions
MacC - 1st - Way over-ambitious. He had a "TT factor" as part of the statistical mumbo-jumbo and when he made it more powerful, it still only put us down to 2nd. Hint: The PCT needs a way stronger "TT factor" than even the most extreme prediction models seem to manage!
cunego59's H2H sweepstakes - 2nd - Not his opinions, but his creation - does he deserve credit? Probably not!
knockout - 4th - Wasn't expecting the Fall of the MALamo in Balkans ("...even if Areruya wants to try to compete with Miguel Angel Lopez for the Balkans victory" ), otherwise perfect <3
redordead - 4th - The only full-on PCT preview this year, his comments weren't too accurate but the ways he was wrong balanced out to make his prediction pretty good!
Ulrich Ulriksen - 5th - Thought we'd score about 800 points less than we actually did, but I guess he did predict us to promote still.
Croatia14 - 5th - Idiot, non-managers don't know enough about the MG to comment on such matters.
kandesbunzler26 - 10th - The old moral question of can we make fun of a predictor who openly blames a shitty model he made and is the only one forcing himself to abide by? Yes we can, this sucked!
Fabianski - 10th - What does he know about the 2023 PCT? Shoutout for saying "even 5th" as our wild best case scenario.
whitejersey - "On paper it should be hard for Areruyra to have a stronger year than last year" - That's right we're digging up random HQ comments because this made me laugh reading back. This was post-training, to be clear.
AbhishekLFC and jandal7 - Too lazy to write anything about the PCT this year huh boys?

Love you all Wink

Croatia14
<3 imagine how great this team would've been with a properly trained Thomas Pidcock
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/moty.png

redordead
jandal7 wrote:

redordead - 4th - The only full-on PCT preview this year, his comments weren't too accurate but the ways he was wrong balanced out to make his prediction pretty good!

Even with a 'glowing' review like that, if I do decide to write another preview this year, you can rest assured there won't be anything "wrong" written about your team.

jandal7
@Croatia - Not sure a 75/78 MO/HI guy could have scored enough points behind Areruya at nearly every race to get us to Jura or LPH - from next year you're definitely right though!

@redordead - That's an impressive claim Shock Looking forward to it Smile

jandal7
i.imgur.com/8vX7tw3.png

2023 Season Review - Goals

Xero have never been ones to fulfill more than 2 or 3 of their goals. In 2016 the choices were poor. In 2017 their leaders crashed to a ridiculous degree all season, particularly honing in on goal races. In 2018 they picked all cobbles goals then signed nobody above 75COB. In 2019 and 2020 they did a little better but their leaders still seemed to underperform a little bit when the spotlight was on them. In the PT in 2021 they aimed low and achieved lower, gaining only one success. 2022 saw some near misses and some far ones, with only one goal achieved as the team set high goals to pay off their renewals fine. This year they also aimed for the maximum heights, but perhaps refined their goals for the better (all three Areruya stage races and a classic).

Win Tour de Pologne - 1st, Joseph Areruya
i.imgur.com/BERJDSa.jpeg

The team had two returning goals and another returning goal race, this being the first repeated goal as it was the only one that was achieved in 2022! And while last year this was achieved by the skin of Joseph Areruya's teeth, in 2023 he dominated the competition, winning three stages, the GC and the points in confident fashion. Read our full recap here.

Win Criterium du Dauphine Libere - 2nd, Joseph Areruya
i.imgur.com/RcSgfYr.jpeg

An agonising defeat here, denied by a couple of bonuses won by a wheel length on the final stage after gaining another three stage wins in fine style which also saw him win the green jersey. In the high mountains for a guy like Areruya to lose to a huge name in Lachlan Morton by such a small margin is a pretty awesome achievement, and while losing is never nice, especially missing out on a goal, this was still a real turning point in our season, coming along with Pidcock's GC win in Benelux and kicking off our comeback in the rankings. Read our full recap here.

Win Balkans International - 1st, Joseph Areruya
i.imgur.com/xKZmJiO.jpeg

Our other repeating goal, last year Areruya struggled for much of the race before beasting the final stage to claim a stage win and 4th on GC. This year, despite the looming Lopez threat, we chose to repeat the goal believing we should at least be 2nd here. What happened was even better than that - he claimed yellow with a stage win after a superb finish on Stage 3, then on the climactic Stage 6 chased down a powerful Lopez attack alone, overhauled the Colombian and repeated his win from last year to seal a magnificent GC victory along with his two stages and once again the Points jersey. Read our full recap here.

Top 5 Japan Cup - 3rd, Joseph Areruya
i.imgur.com/K319QT2.jpeg

This was our choice in our OR goal, and since it came after we would have already achieved its alternate option (Pidcock winning the Benelux Challenge), there was added pressure on Joseph Areruya in the midst of the promotion fight to achieve this one. As Alan Shearer would say though, pressure is for tyres and although he couldn't beat MAL again, Areruya claimed his first podium in a PT or PTHC classic with a solid ride and made it 3/4 goals achieved by him this season. Read our full recap here.

Top 5 Team Standings - 3rd, Xero Racing
i.imgur.com/3NxIaf4.jpeg

And our season was completed by becoming by far our most successful season in goals to date, with 4/5 achieved and the other missed by just four seconds. Despite looking like this goal was down the toilet at the end of June, we came back strong and even made the final podium after a great effort across the board, from Areruya's superstar showing to the efforts of our domestiques to somehow score points in flat and cobbled classics in the back half of the season. Read our full recap here.

quadsas
Without Schomber you finish 4 points shy of promotion. Where are the haters now
deez

kandesbunzler26
Congrats to promotion! It was nice to report Areruyas win in Emilia that sealed it for you. Also good to see Boileau added some points though they weren't that crucial Wink I hope he learned some things from Areruya on the way.
i.imgur.com/77VDWQo.jpeg

i.ibb.co/PC3Kfz9/Signature2020.pngi.ibb.co/Hpc4z3S/FINALUSER.pngpcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/mostimproved-bk26.png

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
Cyclist Viewer 3
Cyclist Viewer 3