PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] Teams HQ
 Print Thread
[PCT] Xero Racing '23 | Awards
jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Viana do Castelo
4th of February | Win Race Goal | C1
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/mg_vianacastelo.jpg

A race we won last time we were here with a spectacular team display lead by a fantastic Xandro Meurisse solo victory, now we were up against many of our beloved stars from that day in Meurisse (who had since added another victory here), Debesay and Rowe as well as another former Xero in Higuita, plus some other great riders, notably Benoot from our friends at Sony. For us though we still thought we had an ace to play in the form of Thomas Pidcock, whose multi-discipline skills are perhaps nowhere better suited on the road than a race with a steep cobbled descent every lap.

i.imgur.com/KBoWmBQ.jpg

After going from midway through the race in 2020 and 40km out in 2022 we suspected our friend Xandro would be making a long-range attack again this year, and Pidcock was quick to respond and even pass him when he did it from a similar mark this year. Johann van Zyl remained in the favourites' group as it whittled down to 21 and then to 9.

i.imgur.com/zni97sy.jpg

It was Pidcock and the great young puncheur Schmid who overhauled the breakaway and rode together for a long while, taking a lead going into the final lap. Meanwhile behind. However things were kicking off behind, and Benoot was in hot pursuit.

i.imgur.com/JEL41XX.jpg

There was no matching the Belgian today, a supreme favourite on this route living up to his billing. However Jorgenson from Zwift was having the ride of his life and also passed the former leaders.

Pidcock used his descending to his advantage and dropped Schmid, inching closer and closer to the American on the descent. The gap was still closing inside the final kilometre...

i.imgur.com/coSmhD8.jpg

but it wasn't quite enough as our man settled for the bottom step of the podium. A great ride that didn't quite come off but felt like it so could have on a different day, maybe one where the Sony team got locked in the hotel. A very solid result for the team with van Zyl finishing a very respectable 9th.

With Debesay (5th), Meurisse (6th), and Higuita (11th) there were 5 Xero alums int he top 11, plus four other riders we had entered deep discussions or FA bidding on at one time or another. We know ball.

1Tiesj BenootSony - Force India5h28'42
2Matteo JorgensonZwift Pro Cycling+ 48
3Thomas PidcockXero Racings.t.
9Johann Van ZylXero Racing+ 2'49
44Alan BoileauXero Racing+ 9'59
71Yacine HamzaXero Racing+ 14'12
81Oier LazkanoXero Racing+ 17'05
83Kees DuyvesteynXero Racings.t.

AbhishekLFC
Great result from Pidcock and Van Zyl in Viana!

Fabianski
You're kind to call Schmid a "great young puncheur", let's hope he'll indeed have a great future in MG Smile
Well done by Pidcock anyway, really a rider I'd love to have - a shame he has so few RDs...

jandal7
@Abhi - Yeah with the two combined we can't really be hating the haul from the race even if we wish it ended in glory Smile

@Fab - Call 'em how I see 'em Wink Yeah it's tough the RDs on Pidcock, even if other classic Xero "OVL too high" guys like Meurisse have been proven that maybe they live up to it I'm not sure Pidcock will. Still very very early days though.

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

February Review | I mean cobbles aren't that bad if they're not so flat...
The other two races in February, Le Samyn and Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, passed with little to write home about save for Hamza's breakaway appearance in the former. Safe to say that we are giving ourselves a Herculean task to fight back in the rankings
Rider of the Month
He was ably backed up by van Zyl but for another month it's...

i.imgur.com/KBoWmBQ.jpgOn the move with his first taste of leadership - Viana do Castelo

Thomas Pidcock
Total RoTM Wins | 2
RoTM Wins This Season | 2

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Vuelta al Pais Vasco
5-10th of March | Stage Win + Top 10 + Top 15 Race Goal | C1
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/top_pvasco.jpg

Never our most successful race but with Fouche, Houle, Pidcock and a great supporting cast here we had a lot of hope they could do some good things here. A solid 6th in the opening team time trial was a solid start to the race.

i.imgur.com/13dqwSK.jpg

Stage 2 looked like one of our best opportunities for Houle or Pidcock to grab a stage win. The Brit felt better on the day and so Houle and van Zyl controlled the pace to reel in the breakaway and discourage any attacks. With 2km to go Kipkemboi hit the front with Pidcock in his wheel, looking to surprise the quicker sprinters.

i.imgur.com/rbRrL5m.jpg

The plan worked to perfection and Pidcock never looked in doubt of delivering his first ever professional victory, and our first of the season. A fantastically taken win with contributions from the whole team.

i.imgur.com/q9GQeTb.jpg

Stage 3 similarly looked like one where our hybrid duo could deliver something and once again we were the quickest in the bunch, this time in the form of Houle. However unfortunately the late attacker Calmejane just held off the charging peloton as we settled for 2nd. To make things worse, everyone but Houle lost 20 seconds. We slipped further down the GC on Stage 4's individual time trial, with Morne in 15th our best positioned rider, though Pidcock and Houle both sat at around a minute down and van Zyl and Fouche were both within two minutes of the lead as well.

i.imgur.com/S2zBMoT.jpg

The decisive stage 5 ended on a tough uphill finish and Pidcock and Fouche were our strongest riders, working together to try and shut down attacks from the favourites group. They couldn't follow the strongest puncheurs on the final slopes and settled for the first major group, moving to a very credible 5th and 11th on GC respectively, as well as running 1-2 in the U25 category.

i.imgur.com/kLjldgJ.jpg

Stage 6 was ridden fast but wasn't decisive enough and so in the final hilltop sprint we looked like contending for another stage win - however the elite climbers Oomen and Beltran proved just too strong for young Pidcock's acceleration as he settled for third - still enough to raise him to a fantastic 4th on GC as he kept hold of the U25 jersey. Fouche was a very good 7th which allowed him to break into the Top 10 on GC as well, capping off a very well executed and good-scoring race for our team.

1Sam OomenLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam16h25'57
2Fausto MasnadaJura GIANTS+ 38
3Eddie DunbarIndosat Ooredoo+ 49
4Thomas PidcockXero Racing+ 1'06
10James FoucheXero Racing+ 2'09
37Johann Van ZylXero Racing+ 7'59
54Hugo HouleXero Racing+ 11'01
58Salim KipkemboiXero Racing+ 11'32
92Florian VermeerschXero Racing+ 18'08
109Morne Van NiekerkXero Racing+ 20'41
178Nils SchomberXero Racing+ 44'37

Ad Bot
Posted on 19-09-2024 18:10
Bot Agent

IP: None  
jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Strade Bianche
18th of March | Win Race Goal | HC
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/mg_stradeb.jpg

A season debut for our man Joseph Areruya, fresh from his expensive off-season training camps and with expectations to win nearly every race he competes. He's a top favourite here, but he's actually never won a puncheur's classic - or a classic of any kind, with his only podium in fact coming here last year. The lights are bright - how will he react?

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/HC/StradeBianche/PCM0006.jpg

As should be expected by now, the pressure really means nothing to Areruya (or at least does nothing to temper his aggression) as he and local lad Tesfaye Herin launched a double-attack with 35km remaining, sending the peloton into a scramble.

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/HC/StradeBianche/PCM0007.jpg

After around 15km the groups that resulted from the splits and counterattacks eventually rejoined together, now just 46 riders strong and with the breakaway in sight.

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/HC/StradeBianche/PCM0009.jpg

With 10km left in the race that was still too many companions for Areruya, who attacked with much more power this time, with only Moscon following. However over the next hill he shook off the Italian and with seven kilometres until the line in Siena, it was Areruya against the world with 26 seconds on his side.

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/HC/StradeBianche/PCM0014.jpg

The peloton were working together decently well but Areruya proved he was by far the strongest today and took victory - a special start to his season and a special day for us, as he was followed home by not one, not two, but three straight former Xero neo-pros in Stannard, Meurisse and Higuita. We love to see our boys doing well - and proving how undervalued they went on the transfer market!
1Joseph AreruyaXero Racing5h00'22
2Robert StannardDuckDuckGo - Everesting+ 52
3Xandro MeurisseLampre - Pinarellos.t.
4Sergio HiguitaLos Pollos Hermanoss.t.
44Salim KipkemboiXero Racing+ 3'45
45Hluigi Tesfaye HerinXero Racings.t.
94Johann Van ZylXero Racing+ 6'30
121Corbin StrongXero Racing+ 7'32
130Ilan Van WilderXero Racings.t.
149Kees DuyvesteynXero Racing+ 12'45
162Oier LazkanoXero Racing+ 14'22

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

March Review | Oh no...
From the Pais Vasco and Strade Bianche recaps you may have guessed it was a turnaround month for the team, but two shockers in huge races meant it was one of the worst in team history outside of those races.

George Bennett flashed his worst form in years at the Vuelta a Colombia, finishing absolutely nowhere in the GC, while the entire team collapsed in our home race at the Tour of South Africa, despite our usual squad there running it back we found neither stage nor GC joy and barely avoided a 0-pointer with Houle finding a fourth on the opening stage. Nevermind the GP Izola and Lillestrom GP - not exactly banner races for us but 0-pointers only softened by breakaway appearances from Ramirez and Hamza.
Rider of the Month
I've never seen anything like this but with a fantastic GC performance and our first win of the season, taking advantage of quiet months in his first three with the team it's...

i.imgur.com/rbRrL5m.jpgFirst of many? - Vuelta al Pais Vasco, Stage 2

Thomas Pidcock
Total RoTM Wins | 3
RoTM Wins This Season | 3

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Giro d'Italia
3-23rd of April | Top 5 + Stage Win + Win U25 Race Goals | GTM
i.imgur.com/1t2FEC8.png

Not our most suited Grand Tour or the one we wanted to attend as a wildcard - that would be La Vuelta, with less flat ITT kilometres and the potential for Bennett and Areruya to co-lead. However we were awarded entry into the Giro. After Areruya had his crack in 2021 (finishing 8th, winning the U25 and 2nd in the KoM, a major animator and nearly stage-winner), he went to defend his crown in Poland and left the Giro duties to George Bennett, with an able squad around him, including U25 jersey contender Fouche, former Giro stage winner Novardianto, prologue wonder Schomber, home hero Tesfaye Herin, and the multi-talented Pidcock. Not a race that would make any difference to our final rankings, but obviously one of the most prestigious races in the sport and a huge deal for us - and Bennett's final crack over three weeks while at his peak.

i.imgur.com/TDgsM7y.jpeg

Schomber was the first of those names to make his presence felt on the big stage, but could only manage fourth in the prologue. Bennett was 133rd, but over such a short distance that meant the worst damage was 13 seconds to Haig.

i.imgur.com/KOiIpBg.jpeg

Stage 3 was the first chance at any GC action, but the final climb proved too easy to cause any separation and the battle for first was left to the lighter sprinters - Bennett finished 7th, just ahead of GC favourite Dombrowski and the best of the climbers.

i.imgur.com/2IgWZCb.jpeg

Stage 6 was a tough one, with a huge amount of elevation gain over many shorts climbs. On this kind of short uphill finish Bennett is one of the best among the climbers, and he certainly felt it was a huge chance for a stage win. He lead the sprint early...

i.imgur.com/2owZORA.jpeg

But Dombrowski and Haig, the clear two top riders in the race, proved slightly too strong, and our man had to settle for third. Still, a marker of strength as he was the only rider to stay in touch with that duo, earning him third on GC going into the first mountain stage. Meanwhile Pidcock was 12th and took over the white jersey, while Fouche had a tough day, conceding five minutes already and sitting 9th in the U25 competition.

i.imgur.com/JKY6OML.jpeg

If the short climbs are Bennett's specialty, then the kind of long, steady climb that is Blockhaus is, if not a weakness, not quite where Bennett can make his mark usually. However, 14th was still a huge disappointment on an off-day for him, tumbling to 8th on GC. A better but still subpar stage for Fouche in 30th, who moved to 3rd in the U25s, while Pidcock fell to fourth.

To make matters worse, Stage 8 was the race's long, flat, individual time trial. Schomber held the hot seat for a while as the best of the early runners. Bennett fell to 12th on GC, which isn't terrible with only climbs to go, but over three minutes now separated him from Galta's third spot on the podium. Fouche and Pidcock both fell ever so slightly in the GC, but closed the gap to under two minutes to Schmid in the white jersey. Things weren't going our way.

i.imgur.com/DEc9oR7.jpeg

Stage 10 was the inversion of Stage 3 - an easier uphill finish we expected to go to a sprinter. However on an earlier categorised climb splits formed in the peloton, and Bennett was the strongest in the pack at the end - however not strong enough to quite chase down the late attack of Amezawa, settling for 2nd place. Unfortunately one of the biggest GC losers from the gaps was Fouche, who conceded three minutes, now five minutes down in the U25 competition and 41st on GC.

i.imgur.com/ZJBZne6.jpeg

If a climber looks down and out on GC then it's time to attack - and the 100km mountain stage to the beautiful Montvergine di Mercogliano looked a great prospect to gain some time from a breakaway and maybe fight for a stage win. Fouche snuck into the 22-rider breakaway, which quickly gained a gap which wasn't to be recovered by the peloton. However with U25 1st and 2nd Schmid and Johannessen also present, there was still work to be done in that department.

i.imgur.com/PrB11Mi.jpeg

However while the 6+ minutes would be a great gain over the peloton to vault Fouche back towards the Top 20 on GC, the his first professional win would have to wait as a four-man group went clear of the breakaway with 6km to go on the final climb.

i.imgur.com/ZXMTU2G.jpeg

Behind, Bennett is always one to keep fighting when he's down and he too was on the front foot today, kicking off the festivities in the GC group, followed by Amezawa. He got a lot of camera time, but it's time to go back to the breakaway to see who will be taking the stage win...

i.imgur.com/bmQ1mzR.jpeg

And it's James Fouche, who has attacked the chasing group, rode through the leaders, caught and dropped the soloing Vosekalns, and is now solo with a lead going under the red kite!

i.imgur.com/OZEfcau.jpeg

We can't quite believe it, but it's a fantastic come-from-behind victory - the first of James Fouche's career and it's at the Giro d'Italia on a mountaintop finish, what a way to do it! He went to 17th on GC, and 3rd in the U25s, now with 2'07 to Schmid in 1st and 30 seconds to Johannessen in 2nd.

i.imgur.com/MWLCQKt.jpeg

Behind, Bennett and Amezawa were caught by a handful of GC favourites, which meant a stalemate with many of the Top 10 as he slipped up to 9th in the standings at the halfway point of the race. Much work still to be done - but Fouche has shown the blueprint on how to do it - get on the front foot, and let's attack!

TO BE CONTINUED...

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Giro d'Italia
3-23rd of April | Top 5 + Stage Win + Win U25 Race Goals | GTM
i.imgur.com/1t2FEC8.png

We pick up at Stage 12, with ten stages to go and some work left to be done for us to have fully satisfied ourselves at this Giro d'Italia. Jams hopped in what was not to be another successful Giro breakaway for him on a flat transitional day.

i.imgur.com/7TzLP0m.jpeg

Stage 13 was a finish on Etna and both of our GC men were on the offensive - Fouche in the breakaway, and Bennett in the peloton. Bennett was animating the race among the favourites, and ended up a slightly disappointing 6th, gaining time on some of the others in the Top 10 but losing a place in the GC. Meanwhile Fouche had a similarly mixed result - moving down to 24th on GC, but having by far the best day among the young riders and finally moving into the white jersey, which he hoped to keep until Venice.

i.imgur.com/mzLjQIq.jpeg

Stage 14 also finished on the Montebello, this time an MTT. Both riders kept their GC positions and made incremental gains - Fouche extended his white jersey lead to almost two minutes, while Bennett still sat 9th but with just 64 seconds to 6th, which looked a very reasonable target.

However, we still felt in the fight for at least 4th place - just three minutes ahead. A huge target with some formidable opponents in the fight behind Dombrowski and Haig who looked in a class of their own. Galta sat in the middle of the two groups in the final podium position - no better a rider historically than most of the other riders in the Top 10, but with a four minute advantage over the group around Bennett going into the final week.

i.imgur.com/P6Vzkvp.jpeg

Stage 16 was a transitional stage but with some deceptively hard climbs in the run-in, we looked to get on the front foot. Unfortunately, while Bennett made the first move, it would be the second one that stuck, as Carthy, Godoy, Hirt and Giannoutsos gained two minutes on the Xero-led peloton, moving Bennett down to 11th on GC. Dammit! It was going to take some huge rides in the mountains to salvage our GC fight. Johanessen and Arensman also gained time back on Fouche, drawing to just a minute behind in the U25 standings.

i.imgur.com/5B898r1.jpeg

First, though, Pidcock took advantage of some tired sprinters to take 5th on the final sprint stage before the mountain finale. A quiet but solid race from him so far - some minor stage placings, 31st on GC, 4th in the U25 competition and technically still well in contention among those better climbers, just two minutes behind Fouche.

i.imgur.com/JID3dkO.jpeg

Fouche was in the breakaway for Stage 18, taking in the Gavia before a finish at Bormio 2000. He couldn't fight for the stage win among a group of climbers who hadn't ridden their guts out each day fighting for the GC (plus Amezawa and Giannoutsos, who were in the GC fight and had huge gains), but he effectively wrapped up the U25 jersey - he had a great day in the breakaway, and the other contenders had a poor one, and he opened his lead to almost eight mintues. In fact, Pidcock also managed to move past the other two to give us a 1-2 in those standings.

Bennett finished solidly on what was a bit of a quiet day for the favourites, but well another two spots due to the breakaway raid. Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

i.imgur.com/v9CPmiu.jpeg

On Stage 19 Bennett was a man on a mission. He lead the breakaway attacks, and lead over all the mid-stage KOMs - not necessarily his target, he was just pushing the pace. He did earn the KOM jersey by the end of the day, but that's not what brought him to this breakaway.

i.imgur.com/mIEQvLJ.jpeg

Over the penultimate climb an elite selection formed in the breakaway, with Bennett joined by Godoy and Stussi, also on a GC raid and from a better starting position, as well as Pinot chasing the stage win. However, Godoy looked by far the strongest on the day as he pulled away over the summit. Bennett just kept his tempo. Going into the final ascent of the Passo Lavaze, Godoy was due to move into pink - while Stussi and Bennett was going to 4th and 5th respectively, past everyone but Dombrowski and Haig, and by a margin.

i.imgur.com/5A1qNuC.jpeg

Unfortunately those gains were not to be made flesh thanks to Godoy's presence - perhaps Gazelle and Amaysim would have let Stussi and Bennett have their fun, but Godoy was going to mess with their 1 and 2 - let's hope they didn't waste their efforts chasing the breakaway today with still one day to go! Bennett was the strongest of the chasers and came home 1'22 down on Godoy, and 3'15 up on the first of the peloton. This only moved him to 9th, but there was less than a minute up to a clearly tiring Stussi in 5th, which had to be the goal with Bennett looking by far the strongest climber (even if he wasn't timing everything right) in the last week outside of the Top 4.

Fouche and Pidcock each lost a spot - now sat 25th and 31st respectively, and 1st and 3rd in the U25s with Pidcock losing 5 minutes and his GC spot to Johannessen (this time a different Johannessen than the one competing for most of the rest of the race), who was still seven minutes behind Fouche.

i.imgur.com/KdbuecC.jpeg

Stage 20 had the profile of an epic, and after the past few days none of the Top 10 were allowed in the breakaway. We had decided Fouche or Bennett would go together (which we slightly preferred to be able to maybe defend the KOM jersey - or not at all. It would be the latter - the highest major rider in the GC allowed in the group by Gazelle and Amaysim was Shikai in 11th, 7'18 down. We would have been a bit stricter, but what do we know about winning Grand Tours? Meanwhile 7th place Giannoutsos was allowed in despite only being four minutes down - insert Breaking Bad "he can't keep getting away with it" GIF here.

i.imgur.com/2eNsmpe.jpeg

Bennett - resplendent in his blue jersey, though he had mathematically already lost it - was always going to attack on the penultimate climb - not crazy far out, but giving it his everything not just for the Top 5, but for the podium. However, with Shikai holding an 11 minute lead on the peloton, it made Bennett seem like to only sane rider there as he put his heart and soul into opening up a solo gap, mopping and dropping breakaway stragglers.

With 12km to go - a short descent then the final climb - he had visions of the Top 5 - he would need to hold this gap. Shikai was out of sight, but if he could catch and pass a tiring Giannoutsos - still minutes ahead, 4th was even on the table. However, with all the might of the peloton now waking up, it would be a hard ask. The snow began to fall, and it was an epic quest for Mr. Xero on these cold, desolate, Alpine slopes.

i.imgur.com/5cnVwWO.jpeg

Halfway up the climb things were looking good, really good - above our dreams, provisionally in the fight for 3rd on GC, looking somewhere between Dombrowski and Haig, still behind Giannoutsos and definitely not catching Shikai, who really looked like he was going to do the impossible and take pink from 11th at the start of the day. He needed to not blow up and keep riding as fast as the peloton which kept speeding up to find his way to the podium, and just stay steady to at least secure the Top 5.

He kept grinding, kept gaining, never out of the wind, and finally under the red kite caught Giannoutsos and co. With 12 bonus seconds available for 2nd, he would still need to find 23 seconds in just 1000m, and so rather than resting after finally finding companions, he attacked hard as soon as he made the catch. He also needed to scrap for every second - 3rd or even 2nd seemed unlikely, but right now he did have it.

i.imgur.com/CgLySyU.jpeg

He stopped the clock way too far behind Shikai, but far enough ahead of Giannoutsos that he knew he would be no worse than 4th. He sat, and waited, as first Dombrowski crossed the line - a minute ahead, time to spare. Was third possible? The seconds ticked down... as Haig nudged across, 14 seconds in hand. What felt crushing in the moment - seconds away from a Grand Tour podium - was soon dissipated as the achievement of 4th in the Giro d'Italia, from 13th two days ago, sunk in. Another heroic effort in the career of George Bennett, which is filling up with them.

i.imgur.com/LYvfwOI.jpeg

Behind Fouche stayed steady in 25th, while conceding just three minutes to a flying Johanessen, securing the U25 jersey. A jersey now a little bit associated with Xero perhaps, with two wins in three years? His mission for the race achieved, and his brilliant stage win making up for a disappointing GC overall.

Pidcock lost just one place to end up 32nd on GC, and also securing us 3rd in the Teams classification, which we would have never expected pre-race! A brilliant GC finish from a non-climber, and 7th on the final stage in Venice as well a cool capstone.

A team effort, to be sure, but the story of the race for us is George Bennett - Mr. Xero himself - with 4th in his last effort at his peak in a Grand Tour, the absolute talisman of this team from the Continental Tour to now seven seasons later. We perhaps didn't give him all the chances at a Grand Tour he deserved for a rider who does so well over three weeks. New Zealand's best ever Grand Tour finish - a historic ride for that reason alone. 4th in the GC, 7th in the Points, 5th in the KOM, and, if we can indulge in cliche, 1st in our hearts.

1Chen ShikaiPolar77h16'53
2Joseph DombrowskiGazelle+ 4'43
3Jack HaigAmaysim Australia.com+ 5'32
4George BennettXero Racing+ 5'46
25James FoucheXero Racing+ 33'30
32Thomas PidcockXero Racing+ 44'47
106Hpaolo Tesfaye HerinXero Racing+ 2h19'04
154Florian VermeerschXero Racing+ 3h48'15
160Jamalidin NovardiantoXero Racing+ 4h08'26
166Yacine HamzaXero Racing+ 4h23'15

Now MGUCI, where are our 827 points? You know we earned them fair and square. You're trying to cover up the fact that a crappy little PCT team beat all but two of your beloved PT teams - well we're not having it, and we're letting the people know, and we demand justice! Rectify this in the July rankings update or we will go to CAS!

Nemolito
A very nice read-up of a crazy Giro. Sad for the opponents what happened on that final mountain stage, but obviously lovely for you and other Kiwi's to see Bennett do what he did there. Pidcock doing very solid in an attempt to win every rider of the month award, but Fouche's stage win is definitely a great milestone as well.

Good guy Schomber letting somebody else win a prologue just makes him an even nicer guy than he already was.
www.pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/newmember.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgreporter21.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2022/mgtoty.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/moty-cunego.png

redordead
The weird race that was the Giro this season. I didn't realise you did so well, so I guess I can say thanks for 'scoring' each of those 827 points Pfft

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

jandal7
@Nemo - Yeah Pidcock loaded his early season up well to get a few rider of the months. Very happy with that Giro, obviously gutting for the top two teams the way things shook out with Shikai but when looking at the race as a whole I don't feel too guilty about Bennett ending up 4th in that field especially with the form he showed.

@red - It was definitely an odd one, even ignoring the final stage I think it was full of strange AI choices for a lot of the GC riders and even some funky stuff on transitional days. Abhi did a great job wrangling it into the reports. And yes if we were PT it would have been a great race for us in the rankings Pfft Happy to help Grin

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

Tour de Pologne
12-18th of April | Win Team Goal | HC
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/top_pologne.jpg

Last year we set Areruya a Win Goal, and he came home with the GC, two stages, and the points classification. Not to be unreasonable taskmasters about it, but that's really the minimum standard he's gotta hold himself to on this parcours - preferably this time without the heart attack of almost losing to Lucas freaking Hamilton on the last stage and being bailed out by an Andreas Paez bike-throw. A far tougher field this year though, with some top climbers attending now including Meintjes, Higuita, Penasa, Yates, and Olivier, as well as most of the division's best puncheurs.

i.imgur.com/PqTP1dc.jpeg

With Schomber chasing pink in Italy, our focus for the prologue was purely on Areruya keeping his losses to a minimum. He finished 40 seconds down on the winner, and 30 on Bobridge, the fastest of the GC hopefuls. Perhaps more than we wanted, but should be achievable.

i.imgur.com/AdJULi6.jpeg

Areruya won Stage 2 last year and it looked like a perfect springboard in his title defence to try and repeat. With 1km to go on the final climb he was four rows back and looked out of it.

i.imgur.com/4kLD7X2.jpeg

With 600m to go though he'd somehow managed to find his way to the front with extraordinary technique and burst of speed and lead the sprint as the wet gravel road continued higher.

i.imgur.com/Qun39Nt.jpeg

And he held of Meintjes to repeat his stage win here in remarkable fashion, barely even visible when the sprint opened up and ending up taking the win just a kilometre later, a fantastic win. He moved to 7th on GC, 17 seconds down on the new leader Faglum Karlsson, and took over the green jersey, which he'd end up losing to our guy Meurisse who somehow took two sprint stage wins because he's a certified dawg. Can't be too unhappy to see him doing well.

i.imgur.com/x2J16kp.jpeg

Stage 5 was an uphill sprint - Areruya didn't quite have the kick of the front three, with Guerreiro denying Stannard, Meurisse and Areruya a Xero alumni 1-2-3. No bonuses but a leg loosener ahead of the decisive final two stages.

i.imgur.com/WU4wD45.jpeg

On the final climb of Stage 6 Higuita and Buchmann jumped clear of the peloton early. Sensing that would be the winning move, Areruya joined Olivier in bridging across.

i.imgur.com/57gBQzN.jpeg

Areruya is never one to miss an opportunity to attack, and was only ever interested in a winning move of 1 - so as soon as they made the catch he was gone, and it was clear nobody was in a position to follow.

i.imgur.com/URLRFNZ.jpeg

He quickly got a gap, but perhaps overdid himself with still around 2.5km to go, and the gap never really opened up anymore as the chase reorganised. The commentators pronounced him as "looking dead", but he recovered to take the win, and the GC lead with 20 seconds in hand over Meintjes, who was again his runner-up. He'd equalled his race from last year with two stages, the points - he just needed to tie up the GC.

i.imgur.com/pZrL78p.jpeg

Things kept remarkably civilised until the final climb - perhaps with everyone so tight together on GC everyone knew it would only take one climb to make all the difference to their race. Areruya was isolated, but even if he wasn't there was no question that when Yates made the first move, he was going to do what the yellow jersey does and close it down himself.

i.imgur.com/1WvRZSo.jpeg

Not only that, but he effectively took Yates as the world's most overqualified leadout man, and sprung into a monster sprint as the red kite approached. This would be an awful tactic if he lost from here - but right now it just looked like a show of dominance.

i.imgur.com/OsooLdv.jpeg

Three stages, the GC, the points, nobody compared to Joseph Areruya this week. Quickly becoming his favourite stomping ground, he goes back-to-back in Poland with an emphatic sprint, even opening up a gap worthy of record despite the flat finish! Sometimes we feel that, because he's such a favourite with such high expectations, we don't properly celebrate Areruya's wins - well here we go: Oh my God he's so freaking good I can't believe Joseph Areruya rides for our cycling team! It's been clear for a few years, but our boy has very much become a man, and a dominant force in the PCT. First goal of the season well and truly achieved.

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/HC/Pologne/S7/24.jpg

1Joseph AreruyaXero Racing26h53'38
2Louis MeintjesBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 52
3Daan OlivierFastned+ 1'02
43Johann Van ZylXero Racing+ 15'01
44Salim KipkemboiXero Racing+ 15'22
88Corbin StrongXero Racing+ 24'06
90Alan BoileauXero Racing+ 25'15
93Ilan Van WilderXero Racing+ 26'07
118Kees DuyvesteynXero Racing+ 34'10
147Oier LazkanoXero Racing+ 44'36

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

April Review | Signs of Life
From the Pais Three other races left in April, classics in which we had good-to-very-high hopes, with mixed results. Beginning with the Badaling International, which Hugo Houle was hoping would once again end in a sprint finish. It did, and he was 2nd - but there were 23 riders ahead of the peloton. Shoutout to Meurisse who continues his stellar season over at Lampre with a win here. Meanwhile Houle was even worse, failing to score in the Lisbon Classic.

i.imgur.com/xRXTM9t.jpeg

The GP Wallonie was only entered with one goal in mind: an Areruya win. In the end he never found his form to create a gap, and had to spend a lot of time chasing down other attacks due to being isolated. A masterclass in how to beat a dominant rider from the other teams, hats off. The flatter finish saw Ackermann and Stannard too quick in a small group sprint, with our man having to settle for the lowest step of the podium - his first race loss this year. His bad days still look alright. Tesfaye Huart made the fans happy with a 22nd place and a few points.

Still looking quite poor in the rankings, but can't deny the kickstart of those Pologne points. A shame the MGUCI refused to add the Giro haul we rightfully earned in the latest rankings. We appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, but they said that they are only interested in overturning justice done against teams that have done wrong, not overturning injustices against teams being unfairly treated. If only we had that Emirati money.
Rider of the Month
Two very strong contenders as our climbing leaders both started their seasons. Both with historic results for different reasons, in the end it's...

i.imgur.com/xRXTM9t.jpegMaking his big move - Giro d'Italia, Stage 20

George Bennett
Total RoTM Wins | 11
RoTM Wins This Season | 1

AbhishekLFC
Nice outing in the Giro for the team with Areruya delivering perfectly in Poland. Great stuff!

jandal7
AbhishekLFC wrote:
Nice outing in the Giro for the team with Areruya delivering perfectly in Poland. Great stuff!

Definitely a brilliant race each from our dynamic duo making for a special stretch of the season Smile

redordead
I still have PTSD from last year's Pologne. Nice to see Areruya doesn't have those issues, in fact the seems to be a model of consistency Smile

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

jandal7
redordead wrote:
I still have PTSD from last year's Pologne. Nice to see Areruya doesn't have those issues, in fact the seems to be a model of consistency Smile

Happy for him to keep that consistency and clinicality for a long time in Pologne. Such a well-suited race for him obviously.

jandal7
i.imgur.com/4OQVv4J.png

May Review | Signs of Life
From the Pais The month started with the Cheshire Cycling Tour - a race that Rowe and Debesay used to enjoy in its stage-race format, and that we are forced to ride as a classic. Jams made his way into the break and ended up 42nd, while Vermeersch was just ahead in 41st. Bare minimum of a breakaway and points - achieved.

i.imgur.com/NIXYFE4.jpeg

Next was the Tour de Romandie - historically a very good hunting ground for Bennett, with a 2nd and 3rd in his last two attempts. Jams continued his good start to the month with 4th in the Stage 2 sprint, and Bennett lined up a very good race with a classic stage win on a hilltop finish on day 3. He looked good value for a strong GC finish but had the worst day of his career and finished 89th on the MTT, as the 4th-ranked favourite for the stage. What the fuck.

The Tour of Lithuania proved too tough for Hugo Houle on both the flat stages and the hills, and after a mediocre TTT we didn't hold a lot of hope for any points at all. However when we lose hope in a Houle race it's usually one name who steps up, and to the adoration of his home crowd Henrikas Tesfaye Houda made the most of his opportunity in the final day's breakaway to hang on to the favourites group and finish 12th on GC to salvage something for us.

Houle did slightly better in the Tour of Norway, with 12th, 6th and 3rd on the stages which suited - unfortunately not putting in a great ITT or hilly performance and only managing 3rd on GC.

All in all another poor month and promotion seems almost impossible, we are well below mid table. It would take some seriously good racing to see us even in the fight from here.
Rider of the Month
The two usual suspects of performing when our leaders fail both turned up, but for doing it multiple times its

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/C1/Romandie/S2/18.jpgIn the mix in the Swiss

Jamalidin Novardianto
Total RoTM Wins | 4
RoTM Wins This Season | 1

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content