· Newest Member: MauriceRayer
View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] Teams HQ
 Print Thread
[PCT] Bralirwa | Season Recap
cunego59
a
Rest in peace, Tijl De Decker

Along with the rest of the cycling world, we have been deeply saddened by the passing of Tijl De Decker five days ago following a training accident. Even if his presence in the ManGame and with our team is just the tiniest aspect in all of this, we would like to extend our condolences to his family, his loved ones and everyone else affected by this tragedy.

pbs.twimg.com/media/F4XzCHoWQAEiE89.jpg

In consultation with the MGUCI, we've agreed that Tijl will no longer be part of the game. The roster spot, including skill points, wages and all that comes with it, will instead be filled by Jago Willems. Even if he wasn't originally intended to enter the ManGame, and despite the circumstances which have changed that, we welcome Jago to the team with open arms and hopes of a long future together.

Tijl's memory will live on in many people's minds and hearts for a long time. And, insignificant as it might be in the grand scheme of things, so too will it in this little corner of the internet.
o

cunego59
redordead wrote:
You should be more than safe this season, but with the ages of your leaders you'll probably need to add some new ones again next year.

I didn't pay any attention to talents this year (PT sucks Pfft), but it seems like everyone got some really good riders Smile

Going through planning, I'm fairly confident to be safe, too, but lots of teams looking pretty strong this year in PCT. Tough to really assess the year for me. Meintjes at least has one more year at max and Stallaert should still be a solid rider even after one year of decline, depending on his salary demands. But yeah, another small rebuild will be coming. The talents I've signed will hopefully reduce that necessity in a few years.

TheManxMissile wrote:
Van Eetvelt is a steal at 200k imo. Not quite the total overhaul I thought was coming, but the talents are in, relegation is far far behind you. All very settled and positive.

I'm very happy with Van Eetvelt! I'm always glad to read optimistic views of my roster, so thanks Grin

Laurens147 wrote:
I'm jealous of your new pool of talent Smile I've looked at all 4 of them, but I couldn't join the bidding war.

Like always a cool combination of African talent with foreign leaders. And now with Meintjes as GC leader it looks even better Grin All the best!

Thank you! Getting Meintjes is really cool, might be the best African rider I can reasonably expect to get my hands on for a bit, except perhaps for the ones I'm gonna be developing myself ...

Fabianski wrote:
Meintjes is a perfect fit for you, although I'd obviously have preferred getting him myself Pfft
Picking up Habimana was a given as well, I didn't even bother bidding against you there. Van Eetvelt obviously is fantastic, even though I didn't expect you to be going for him Wink

Overall, I think you don't have to worry about relegation. Stallaert and Meintjes should bring you close to safety already, and you've got enough depth riders to secure the missing points. From nothing to a solid TTT core is impressive as well, should be pretty valuable! And we shouldn't forget about Silvestre, despite his first decline. In any case, looking forward to be racing against you again Smile

Didn't love that interjection in the Meintjes transfer, but you can't blame someone for trying Pfft And indeed, Habimana would have ended up on the team no matter what, too. Good to get another confident read of the team, putting me more at ease. And I'm looking forward to racing you as well Smile

Fabianski
cunego59 wrote:
Didn't love that interjection in the Meintjes transfer, but you can't blame someone for trying Pfft

Yeah, sorry for that. I don't usually hijack deal threads, but I was already talking to jph about Meintjes - and just as I told him I'd go for 1.4m, he had put up the thread some seconds before. Otherwise I guess he'd have opened the thread with 1.5m right away Pfft

Looking forward to some Stallaert vs. Theuns battles, hopefully not always with the better end for the former Wink

cunego59
Fabianski wrote:
cunego59 wrote:
Didn't love that interjection in the Meintjes transfer, but you can't blame someone for trying Pfft

Yeah, sorry for that. I don't usually hijack deal threads, but I was already talking to jph about Meintjes - and just as I told him I'd go for 1.4m, he had put up the thread some seconds before. Otherwise I guess he'd have opened the thread with 1.5m right away Pfft

Looking forward to some Stallaert vs. Theuns battles, hopefully not always with the better end for the former Wink

Don't worry, jph was very open about other negotiations happening, I thought it was a fair process. By "didn't love" I really just meant I wasn't happy because I had to pay a bit more, not that I thought it was in bad faith or anything Smile

In that sense, I also really didn't love the Theuns addition to the division, as I said in your thread Pfft Should be very interesting to see their battles.

Ad Bot
Posted on 21-09-2024 18:40
Bot Agent

IP: None  
cunego59
i.imgur.com/3QlWqTI.jpg

Season Calendar & Goals

Plans can often change, but these won't: After much deliberation, we have the 2023 PCT Season for Barlirwa - Stevens all mapped out. Getting all of our preferred bands in the PTHC and HC categories as well as our favorite C2 races, we have no excuses to not perform well.

In addition, we have also received entry to six PT races via wild cards. While those will be used for development purposes for our youngsters, we also bring our leaders to challenge the PT teams. Fabio Silvestre leads us at the Tour of Qatar for the second year in a row, and in sprint stages at Paris - Nice, where Louis Meintjes will compete in the GC. Louis is also in contention at the GP Liechtenstein, while Joeri Stallaert will get a chance to prove himself at the highest level at Strada Appia Antica, Macskako Kerekparverseny and the E3 Prijs.

Have a look at our full calendar (shoutout to Fabianski for the assist):
StartEndRaceCategory
09-Jan Down Under ClassicHC
17-Jan22-Jan Tour of QatarPT
25-Jan27-Jan Hong Kong ChallengeC1
---
01-Feb08-Feb Volta a PortugalPTHC
04-Feb Omloop Het NieuwsbladHC
10-Feb GP HerningC2
10-Feb Le SamynHC
13-Feb20-Feb Paris - NicePT
26-Feb Kuurne - Bruxelles - KuurneC1
--
03-Mar Isle of Man TTTC1
05-Mar10-Mar Vuelta al Pais VascoC1
17-Mar20-Mar Tour of GuadeloupeC1
18-Mar Strade BiancheHC
20-Mar Strada Appia AnticaPT
22-Mar27-Mar Tour of South AfricaHC
23-Mar Macskako KerekparversenyPT
27-Mar E3 PrijsPT
30-Mar Lillestrom GPC1
---
01-Apr03-Apr Tour du FasoC2
12-Apr18-Apr Tour de PologneHC
20-Apr GP LiechtensteinPT
23-Apr Roma MaximaPTHC
25-Apr GP WallonieHC
28-Apr Veenendaal - VeenendaalPTHC
28-Apr Lisbon ClassicHC
---
03-May08-May Tour de RomandieC1
13-May16-May Tour of LithuaniaPTHC
19-May 1 Jour de DunkerqueC1
27-May31-May Tour of NorwayHC
---
01-Jun02-Jun Franceville ClassiquePTHC
01-Jun Hanko ClassicC1
04-Jun Pro Hallstatt ClassicHC
09-Jun13-Jun La Tropicale Amissa BongoC1
22-Jun28-Jun Tour of CaliforniaHC
23-Jun Monterrey TTTC2
---
01-Jul Torshavn GPC1
03-Jul06-Jul Arab TourHC
09-Jul11-Jul Tour of EritreaC1
13-Jul18-Jul Benelux ChallengeHC
25-Jul29-Jul Tour of SloveniaPTHC
25-Jul29-Jul Tour d'AndorraC1
---
02-Aug06-Aug Deutschland TourPTHC
10-Aug15-Aug Tour du MarocC1
20-Aug GP KigaliC1
23-Aug31-Aug Tour de l'AvenirU23
---
01-Sep05-Sep Tour of BritainC1
02-Sep Riga - Jurmala GPPTHC
08-Sep13-Sep Balkans InternationalPTHC
24-Sep Chrono d'ArenbergPTHC
26-Sep Rheden GPPTHC
---
01-Oct06-Oct Tour of JapanHC
09-Oct Grand Prix Cycliste de QuébecPTHC
18-Oct Giro dell'EmiliaHC
One fact that we're especially happy with is that we compete in every single African race on the entire MGUCI calendar, from the Franceville Classique in PTHC down to the Tour du Faso in C2. That also includes a debut at the Tour of South Africa, which is certainly fitting, given our new team leader.

One African race also made it to our season goals:
Cat.RaceGoal
HCOmloop Het NieuwsbladWin
C1Kuurne - Bruxelles - KuurneWin
PTHCRheden GPTop 5
PTHCFranceville ClassiqueTop 5
PCTTeam StandingsTop 15
We're all in for Joeri Stallaert here, unsurprisingly perhaps. He has won both Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne twice in a row, so we hope he can do it again. He also finished 2nd and 1st in Franceville these last two years, although the race is different this year. Finally, we're making our team debut at the Rheden GP, but Joeri is no stranger to this race: He won it in 2015 and came 6th in 2020, still riding for Volvo.

Given that we didn't know how big a rebuild we might be heading into prior to transfers, we went conservatively with our team standings goal. Top 15 is hopefully achievable and we'll consider the season a success if we make it.

Our leaders' schedules will be discussed soon, otherwise this post will get way too long. Stay tuned!
o

Fabianski
I see, PCT really is a crowded division Pfft
Obviously lots of Stallaert vs. Theuns clashes incoming (I can see why you don't like the latter's arrival in PCT, but Stallaert should still be easily superior in most races Wink), unfortunately not in Franceville which should make quite a big scoring difference.

It's also a lot of TTT clashes, which I'm not as happy about as last year Wink Will be interesting to see who you're sending to those races, but I guess my climbers will mostly be no match to Meintjes. Curious to find out if (or rather: how often) you use him in hilly races! I can't really imagine you using Izagirre as your main puncheur tbh...

Btw, KBK is C1, not HC as stated in the goals section Wink
When speaking of goals, you obviously have the perfect rider to achieve them. All of them look pretty realistic, although especially the win goal obviously always requires some luck. Team standings might be too conservative with this team, but better take those points than narrowly miss out on a higher goal Smile

redordead
I approve of those wildcards for the cobbled races. Go go Stallaert!! Grin

I don't feel quite the same about Qatar, Paris-Nice and Liechtenstein Pfft

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

cunego59
Fabianski wrote:
I see, PCT really is a crowded division Pfft
Obviously lots of Stallaert vs. Theuns clashes incoming (I can see why you don't like the latter's arrival in PCT, but Stallaert should still be easily superior in most races Wink), unfortunately not in Franceville which should make quite a big scoring difference.

It's also a lot of TTT clashes, which I'm not as happy about as last year Wink Will be interesting to see who you're sending to those races, but I guess my climbers will mostly be no match to Meintjes. Curious to find out if (or rather: how often) you use him in hilly races! I can't really imagine you using Izagirre as your main puncheur tbh...

Btw, KBK is C1, not HC as stated in the goals section Wink
When speaking of goals, you obviously have the perfect rider to achieve them. All of them look pretty realistic, although especially the win goal obviously always requires some luck. Team standings might be too conservative with this team, but better take those points than narrowly miss out on a higher goal Smile

I don't share your "optimism" with regards to Theuns and Stallaert Grin Those five points in Res, not to mention the big uphill advantage, could well tip the balance in Theuns' favor. We should get some very entertaining battles out of it at the very least, though. Meintjes really was a tricky one (see below) and I'm not confident I got it 100% right. My big issue was that I wasn't sure how the AI would treat him in pure puncheur races. I hope it works out for the most part, and with Izagirre, too. Oh and thanks for the correction Smile

redordead wrote:
I approve of those wildcards for the cobbled races. Go go Stallaert!! Grin

I don't feel quite the same about Qatar, Paris-Nice and Liechtenstein Pfft

I doubt Pog will have much to fear from Meintjes at P-N with the TT, though some stages do indeed suit him well. Liechtenstein could be an interesting one for Louis as well. Not sure Silvestre is much of a thread in Qatar anymore Grin

cunego59
i.imgur.com/3QlWqTI.jpg

Leader Schedules

It's time to wrap up the off-season with one of the more anticipated posts: presenting the schedules of our leaders. We're going to take a look at four riders in particular: Our two returning leaders, Joeri Stallaert and Fabio Silvestre, and two of our new signing, Ion Izagirre and of course, most importantly, Louis Meintjes. But let's start with the former two, out of habit:

Joeri Stallaert
04-Feb Omloop Het NieuwsbladHC
10-Feb Le SamynHC
26-Feb Kuurne - Bruxelles - KuurneC1
20-Mar Strada Appia AnticaPT
27-Mar E3 PrijsPT
30-Mar Lillestrom GPC1
23-Apr Roma MaximaPTHC
28-Apr Lisbon ClassicHC
19-May 1 Jour de DunkerqueC1
01-Jun02-Jun Franceville ClassiquePTHC
01-Jul Torshavn GPC1
13-Jul18-Jul Benelux ChallengeHC
20-Aug GP KigaliC1
26-Sep Rheden GPPTHC
No big surprises for the most part here: Joeri takes on every cobbled race available, leaving only Battenkill and Cheshire on the table because of PTHC band choices. In addition, he's our sprinter at the Lisbon Classic, the Tour of Eritrea and the Tour du Maroc, while supporting Fabio Silvestre in our Wild Card race in Qatar and at the Torshavn GP.

Fabio Silvestre
09-Jan Down Under ClassicHC
17-Mar20-Mar Tour of GuadeloupeC1
27-Mar E3 PrijsPT
28-Apr Veenendaal - VeenendaalPTHC
13-May16-May Tour of LithuaniaPTHC
01-Jun Hanko ClassicC1
01-Jul Torshavn GPC1
03-Jul06-Jul Arab TourHC
02-Sep Riga - Jurmala GPPTHC
When Fabio was a focal point of our season planning in the past two years, we tried to attend as many sprinter-favored races as possible. After his first decline, our priorities shifted and it shows in his and our calendar. The number of sprint classics is down to 5 from last year's 9, similarly the Tour of Guadeloupe is the only pure sprinting stage race, compared to 3 of those last year.

More race days are now spent in stage races where he won't be able to go for the GC, but hopefully still perform well, even with the occasional chance for a yellow jersey on day one. This includes PTHC stage races in Lithuania, Slovenia and Germany, as well as in Romandie, Norway, Gabon and the UAE at HC/C1 level. Those combine for 17 sprint stages, so hopefully enough opportunities for Fabio to score valuable points.

Louis Meintjes
01-Feb08-Feb Volta a PortugalPTHC
12-Apr18-Apr Tour de PologneHC
20-Apr GP LiechtensteinPT
04-Jun Pro Hallstatt ClassicHC
01-Oct06-Oct Tour of JapanHC
This wasn't an easy selection to make. With his strong puncheur qualities, Louis would have been a good fit for a whole bunch of races, but his race days, unfortunately, are limited. Ultimately, we tried to select races that gave him a chance to exploit his punch versus the other strong climbers in the division and avoided long, flat ITTs as much as possible. This excluded races like the Tour of Andorra or the Tour of California and lead to the schedule above.

The Tour de Pologne is the only pure puncheur race on it, as it's been kind to strong puncheur-climbers before. The Tour of South Africa as well as the Balkans International were certainly considerations, but ultimately we decided profiles such as Romandie (with our hopefully solid TTT setup) and Maroc (with actual mountains but punchy finishes) suit him the best. Japan might be the most questionable choice, but concerns about how the game treats him in a race where pure puncheurs are the favorites on paper ultimately played a role, too.

Ion Izagirre
25-Jan27-Jan Hong Kong ChallengeC1
05-Mar10-Mar Vuelta al Pais VascoC1
18-Mar Strade BiancheHC
22-Mar27-Mar Tour of South AfricaHC
25-Apr GP WallonieHC
01-Sep05-Sep Tour of BritainC1
08-Sep13-Sep Balkans InternationalPTHC
09-Oct Grand Prix Cycliste de QuébecPTHC
18-Oct Giro dell'EmiliaHC
Ion is the big unknown in our calculations of what to expect from this season. The scoring potential of puncheurs who can time trial well is huge in PCT, but his atrocious speed and mid backup stats call into question how good of a puncheur Ion actually is. That will determine if races like Hong Kong, Pais Vasco, South Africa, Norway, Slovenia and Britain can be as good as we think might be possible, or if they are just a string of disappointments.

The same goes for the pure puncheur races, although our expectations are simply much lower there. In those, which include the classics plus Balkans International, we'll have Valens Ndayisenga and Natnael Tesaftsion as punchier options, too. Ion will ride a bunch more races, especially those with TTTs, but these are the ones he'll lead us in.

The Rest
10-Feb GP HerningC2
03-Mar Isle of Man TTTC1
01-Apr03-Apr Tour du FasoC2
22-Jun28-Jun Tour of CaliforniaHC
23-Jun Monterrey TTTC2
03-Jul06-Jul Arab TourHC
25-Jul29-Jul Tour d'AndorraC1
24-Sep Chrono d'ArenbergPTHC
These are the races where none of the above are our leaders. Those include first our C2 schedule. Matthew Teggart will lead us in the GP Herning and the Tour du Faso, the latter alongside Tesfom Okbamariam (we made a bit of an error in overlooking the clash of GP Herning with Le Samyn, so Tesfom will be helping Joeri for the latter), and we have 4 74-75 time trialists eligible for Monterrey, hopefully scoring us some points alongside our youngsters.

La Tropicale Amissa Bongo, the Arab Tour and the Deutschland Tour will be decided on time trials, which means our leaders will be Nils Politt and Carlos Verona. We can't expect any top results, but hopefully some depth points - same for the Isle of Man TTT. In Arenberg, Darren Young should be able to score a few points, too.

Finally, the Tour of California and the Tour d'Andorra are the two mountaineous stage races on our schedule without Louis. In Andorra, we hope for some aggressive KoM and stage hunting by Valens Ndayisenga and Mektel Eyob. Meanwhile, Bonaventure Uwizeyimana can hopefully compete for an okay GC rank in California thanks to his all-around decent skillset in mountains, hills and time trials.

Finally finally, we should note that Natnael Tesfatsion is a Top-10-ish young puncheur in CT and PCT. Depending on his rivals' schedules and a bit of luck, we're hoping for some U25 points in the Vuelta al Pais Vasco, the Tour of South Africa, the Tour de Pologne and potentially, though less likely, even in Eritrea or the Balkans International.
o

Fabianski
It looks like we clash a lot. At least with two of your leaders.
Stallaert was pretty obvious - there just aren't enough cobbled races to avoid the other cobblers of the division, unlike in mountains or hills. Whereas I guess Stallaert will mostly beat Theuns - and therefore clearly outscore him - I still hope we can be successful in a couple of races Wink
Silvestre obviously is in many races we participate as well, but whereas he should easily defeat Page, I hope Bol can beat him from time to time. Silvestre doesn't look great energy-wise, but in all previous PCM versions I feel like this could be ignored, at least for sprinters. It has to be the same for him in PCM22 to still be successful, we'll see how that goes.
For Meintjes, the only race I'd have liked to avoid him is Romandie Pfft In all the others, we shouldn't have any podium chances anyway, but where there's a TTT, I'm a bit more hopeful. He will be a fun rider to watch anyway, though Smile
And it looks like we'll have Izagirre in pretty much all of our hilly races, plus the TT ones - his OVL (and hence his numbers of RDs) is actually a joke for a 79 puncheur, especially given that backup stats really weren't that important in PCM20. If that's still the same, he could be a big scorer for you - but if energy stats or acceleration somewhat matter, that could also be 170k thrown away. And it might be the difference between promotion and "just" staying for you.

Looking forward to racing against you again, will hopefully be a fun season for both of us Wink

cunego59
Fabianski wrote:
It looks like we clash a lot. At least with two of your leaders.
Stallaert was pretty obvious - there just aren't enough cobbled races to avoid the other cobblers of the division, unlike in mountains or hills. Whereas I guess Stallaert will mostly beat Theuns - and therefore clearly outscore him - I still hope we can be successful in a couple of races Wink

Theuns easily should have the upper hand in Kigali, Dunkerque, Benelux at the very least, while only being at a small disadvantage in the flat races (if at all), so I'm way less sure about Stallaert outscoring, but we'll see Wink Wouldn't mind your prediction coming true, of course ...

Fabianski wrote:
Silvestre obviously is in many races we participate as well, but whereas he should easily defeat Page, I hope Bol can beat him from time to time. Silvestre doesn't look great energy-wise, but in all previous PCM versions I feel like this could be ignored, at least for sprinters. It has to be the same for him in PCM22 to still be successful, we'll see how that goes.

Honestly, I think Page has a decent shot at beating Silvestre regularly, too. But all three are somewhat close, so it might be a classic sprint coin flip most of the time Pfft Overall, you're obviously in a nice position with those two sprinters, being able to divide the schedule nicely between them.

Fabianski wrote:
For Meintjes, the only race I'd have liked to avoid him is Romandie Pfft In all the others, we shouldn't have any podium chances anyway, but where there's a TTT, I'm a bit more hopeful. He will be a fun rider to watch anyway, though Smile
And it looks like we'll have Izagirre in pretty much all of our hilly races, plus the TT ones - his OVL (and hence his numbers of RDs) is actually a joke for a 79 puncheur, especially given that backup stats really weren't that important in PCM20. If that's still the same, he could be a big scorer for you - but if energy stats or acceleration somewhat matter, that could also be 170k thrown away. And it might be the difference between promotion and "just" staying for you.

Looking forward to racing against you again, will hopefully be a fun season for both of us Wink

I think in addition to Romandie, Japan is the obvious race where Stüssi should have the upper hand over Meintjes with his TT skills. Which really only leaves Hallstatt (and Paris-Nice) as head-to-heads, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stüssi comes out ahead in those Grin That also indicates to me that I did a decent job of avoiding the ITT-heavy stage races Pfft

I think at 170k, Izagirre is an okay bet from a value standpoint. That amount typically shouldn't sink a season on its own. Then again, as I've said before, in my estimation Izagirre working or not is more the difference between staying comfortably and fighting relegation, which I could well see us do if those 170k are indeed thrown away. But Izagirre, like Madrazo last year, is simply a rider the likes of which we haven't had on the team before and that'll ideally make us competitive in races we weren't able to really target before. So yeah, hopefully a fun season is ahead Smile

Fabianski
cunego59 wrote:
Theuns easily should have the upper hand in Kigali, Dunkerque, Benelux at the very least, while only being at a small disadvantage in the flat races (if at all), so I'm way less sure about Stallaert outscoring, but we'll see Wink Wouldn't mind your prediction coming true, of course ...

Good news for you, I'm not in Benelux Wink
But yeah, I hope the hill stat makes some difference in a couple of races. It didn't seem to matter in Kigali, though, and Stallaert won in Dunkerque in 2021, so I guess it might be more a matter of daily form. We'll see Smile

cunego59 wrote:
Honestly, I think Page has a decent shot at beating Silvestre regularly, too. But all three are somewhat close, so it might be a classic sprint coin flip most of the time Pfft Overall, you're obviously in a nice position with those two sprinters, being able to divide the schedule nicely between them.

Indeed, except for the races where we didn't consider it to be useful enough (Hong Kong, Pais Vasco, South Africa, Slovenia, Britain), we have a sprinter in every stage race. So I sure hope they'll use their opportunities for some good stage results. But as you say, none of Silvestre, Page or Bol are PCT heavy-hitters, so it'll come down to some lucky dice rolls Pfft

cunego59 wrote:
I think in addition to Romandie, Japan is the obvious race where Stüssi should have the upper hand over Meintjes with his TT skills. Which really only leaves Hallstatt (and Paris-Nice) as head-to-heads, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stüssi comes out ahead in those Grin That also indicates to me that I did a decent job of avoiding the ITT-heavy stage races Pfft

I don't think Stüssi will have any kind of TT advantage in MTTs, where it seems to be pure climbing speed that counts. Especially in Japan, I expect Meintjes to do really well, given the hilly stages. And the modified Romandie profile with an additional MTF should suit him, too. But I clearly won't refuse Stüssi beating him Pfft

cunego59 wrote:
I think at 170k, Izagirre is an okay bet from a value standpoint. That amount typically shouldn't sink a season on its own. Then again, as I've said before, in my estimation Izagirre working or not is more the difference between staying comfortably and fighting relegation, which I could well see us do if those 170k are indeed thrown away. But Izagirre, like Madrazo last year, is simply a rider the likes of which we haven't had on the team before and that'll ideally make us competitive in races we weren't able to really target before. So yeah, hopefully a fun season is ahead Smile

If Stallaert has a normal season, and Meintjes (who I think is pretty well planned), I don't think you should be in relegation danger. With your Rwandan and Eritrean climers, you have some uphill depth I can just dream of. Silvestre will get his points, and so will Politt. I think a lot has to go wrong for you to relegate - and I sure hope you'll rather be leaving the division in the other direction Wink

jandal7
Well, in every post-Portugal PCT race we have some sort of Meintjes clash as is to be expected. Him vs Bennett hasn't happened for a while but historically was always a good battle. Pologne is a very good pick for him I think considering how Bennett did there in 2020 dominating the road stages then failing in the ITT which is now just a prologue. Makes me glad I got the Areruya training done Pfft

As you say Izagirre is a very interesting proposition, the calendar is there but who knows if he still has the legs. I think he was definitely worth a flyer.

Haven't taken much of a deep look at all the teams yet but as said in my HQ I think we both could hope to move up by staying still a bit due to the weaker top half of the division - like Fabianski says I think you're far more likely to exit through the top than the bottom if that's any concern to you Wink
24/02/21 - kandesbunzler said “I don't drink famous people."
15/08/22 - SotD said "Your [jandal's] humour is overrated"
11/06/24 - knockout said "Winning is fine I guess. Truth be told this felt completely unimportant."

[ICL] Santos-Euskadi | [PT] i.imgur.com/c85NSl6.png Xero Racing

i.imgur.com/PdCbs9I.png
i.imgur.com/RPIlJYr.png
5x i.imgur.com/wM6Wok5.png x5
i.imgur.com/olRsxdu.png
2x pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/funniest21.png x2
2x i.imgur.com/TUidkLG.png x2

Nemolito
Manninen vs. Stallaert showdown in Eritrea Cool

Guess the most interesting (or well, least predictable) calendar was Meintjes' one. Most of the time he's meeting Aular, and most of the time I'd give Meintjes a bigger chance to finish above the other Pfft Looking forward towards the Higuita-Meintjes duels in Pologne and Japan.
www.pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/newmember.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgreporter21.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2022/mgtoty.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/moty-cunego.png

redordead
cunego59 wrote:
Not sure Silvestre is much of a thread in Qatar anymore Grin

Qatar should be 7 threads including the preview :lol:

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

cunego59
d
i.imgur.com/CTZ7wu1.png

January Preview
The season is about to start and the plan for our HQ presence is to preview and recap each month as the year progresses. There have been issues with consistency here, that's undeniable, so let's cautiously start and see how it goes.

Anyway, it's going to be a simple look at the race profiles, the teams we're sending there and our expectations. In January, Bralirwa participates in three races, though one of them is a wild card race with no points on the line. The other two could well provide some good insights into the team's strength going forward.

Down Under Classic | HC
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/hc_duc.jpg
FLMOHITTSTRSRCCOSPACFIDHPR
F. Silvestre77606672686972557979696276
M. Teggart73626958767371767270556465
T. Okbamariam73666559707367767268657859
M. Mugisha67717562647471606373806461
J. Habimana69657062697063706671716766
L. Van Eetvelt67706961737165576668636459
J. Willems68576362717360557272666665
W. Berhe67686766696668606166676464
The Down Under Classic will always have a special place in our team's history. Two years ago, Fabio Silvestre started off our first PCT season with a win, setting us on a path that would eventually lead us to very solid Top 10 finish in the team standings. Fabio followed that up with a decent sixth place last year, but now aged 33, the expectations are more limited.

That said, with many of the top PCT sprinters present, we might get a decent picture of how competitive Fabio still is. He has the tools to still crack the Top 10 on a good day, but the variance and negative outliers will increase. We will be happy with a Top 10 result here, anything outside of the Top 15 still has to be considered a disappointment even with Fabio's decline.

Unsurprisingly, we don't bring a leadout, but Tesfom Okbamariam and new signing Matthew Teggart should provide enough support to keep Fabio in a decent position and well supported throughout the race. Speaking of new signings, all four of our neo-pros make their debut here.

Tour of Qatar | PT
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/t0_qatar.jpg
J. Stallaert77606758766880817976676658
N. Tesfatsion67757661667173606876726362
N. Politt73636678707372605965696676
C. Verona71546277727567596263606677
For the second year in a row, we enter the Tour of Qatar as a wild card team. It's a fairly straightforward setup: Joeri Stallaert joins Fabio Silvestre as they try to get a result or two from the sprints, while all three of Fabio, Nils Politt and Carlos Verona try their luck in the prologue lottery on the concluding day. Everyone else is just along for the ride (and the XP).

Hong Kong Challenge | C1
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/mg_hongkong.jpg
B. Uwizeyimana71767274767577505668695874
M. Eyob68767666746973556266727366
I. Izagirre69727975706964525861676875
J. Hadi68747274737071617471686974
S. Mugisha76647074707471636268746468
While the Down Under Classic might be a decent measuring stick for Fabio Silvestre going forward, the same is certainly true for the Hong Kong Challenge and Ion Izagirre. On paper, this is a great race for him: two hilly stages and a decently long time trial. If he performs here, that might be a good sign for similar races over the course of the rest of the season. If he doesn't, we might have a problem. Although, to be fair, stage 3 is almost more of a mountain finish.

With that in mind, Ion is not our only potential scorer here. Bonaventure Uwizeyimana finished 4th here last year with his good climbing/TT combination. With Mektel Eyob and Moise Mugisha, we have two riders suited to go on the hunt for the mountain classification. And both Nils Politt and Carlos Verona could do decently well in the ITT. Our best case scenario is a repeat of last year's Top 5 finish with another rider in the Top 15, and anything that comes close to that will be a solid result that we'd be happy with.

AbhishekLFC
We only meet in DUC which should be a fun battle. Izagirre looks to be a nice option for HK!

cunego59
d
i.imgur.com/CTZ7wu1.png

January Review

Three races, one of which was a wild card race. Of the two we could score some points in, one was a major disappointment, but the second turned out quite well:

Down Under Classic
Fabio Silvestre finished first and sixth here to start the season in the last two years. We didn't expect a repeat given his first regression, but we expected at least something. Instead, Fabio finished 29th. No points on the first day, not a great start.
1Dylan GroenewegenFastned1h40'20
2Alberto DaineseAssa Abloys.t.
3Leigh HowardSpark-BNZ Racings.t.
4Elias AfewerkiColombini Cyclings.t.
5Matti ManninenLos Pollos Hermanoss.t.
29Fabio SilvestreBralirwa - Stevens Bikess.t.
30Moise MugishaBralirwa - Stevens Bikess.t.
46Welay Hagos BerheBralirwa - Stevens Bikess.t.
67Tesfom OkbamariamBralirwa - Stevens Bikess.t.
79Jago WillemsBralirwa - Stevens Bikess.t.
82Matthew TeggartBralirwa - Stevens Bikess.t.
87Jean Eric HabimanaBralirwa - Stevens Bikess.t.
93Lennert Van EetveltBralirwa - Stevens Bikess.t.

Tour of Qatar
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/PT/Qatar/S4/15.jpg

Fabio Silvestre beats his competitors to the line for fourth place on stage 4.

After the disappointment in Australia, Fabio Silvestre had the opportunity to redeem himself in Qatar, an early season sprinters' festival. Against mostly PT competition though, we didn't expect too much. And it didn't start very promising, either: 17th and 16th places on stages one and two weren't spreading much optimism.

But then, things started to improve. 9th on stage three was followed by 4th and 6th places, and making use of his decent TT skills in the epilogue, Fabio even ended up in 9th overall! While no points came of it, this was an important confidence booster going forward.
1Jasper PhilipsenPolar15h14'31
2Salem KemboiLidl Cycling+ 7
3Fernando GaviriaMoser - Sygic+ 11
4Fabio JakobsenZARA - Irizar+ 17
5Eduard GrosuRabobank+ 26
9Fabio SilvestreBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 31
42Carlos VeronaBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 46
75Nils PolittBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 51
148Jean Eric HabimanaBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 1'06
163Welay Hagos BerheBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 1'09
164Natnael TesfatsionBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 1'10
176Lennert Van EetveltBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 1'15
182Joeri StallaertBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 1'20

Hong Kong Challenge
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Reports/C1/Hkg/mg23_hkg_03_PCM0424.jpg

Bonaventure Uwizeyimana finishes 6th on the final stage to secure a good GC result.

We came to Hong Kong with mixed expectations. Bonaventure Uwizeyimana returned after a 4th place last year, and on paper, a time trial and two hill stages are perfect for new signing Ion Izagirre. At the same time, the competition was fierce and we weren't sure how Ion would do on a longer climb like on the final day.

The race started okay with both Ion and Uwi, as well as Mektel Eyob placing in the main group on stage one, while Moise Mugisha joined the breakaway and placed third in the mountain classification - a position he would hold until the end of the race. The time trial wasn't ideal, though: Nils Politt scored a single point in 8th place, while Ion and Uwi weren't on their greatest legs. Still, they entered stage three in 9th and 11th in the GC, respectively.

The decisive final stage then turned out about as good as could reasonably expected. Uwizeyimana finished 6th in the first group behind stage (and GC) winner Brandon McNulty, moving up to 8th in the GC, while Izagirre hung on in the second group, ending up 19th and defending his 9th place overall. Mektel Eyob also somehow found his way into the scoring positions, and the team finished third in the team classification, rounding out a nice race with a total of 80 points.
1Brandon McNultyMcCormick Pro Cycling7h59'57
2Antonio BarbioTeam UBS - Tissot+ 33
3Yoann PaillotAssa Abloy+ 41
4Marc GoosStela-Vita+ 47
5Kent MainGlanbia+ 55
8Bonaventure UwizeyimanaBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 1'03
9Ion IzagirreBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 1'06
23Mektel EyobBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 2'21
65Janvier HadiBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 6'17
83Samuel MugishaBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 7'57
94Nils PolittBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 9'05
138Moise MugishaBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 13'59
173Carlos VeronaBralirwa - Stevens Bikes+ 22'30

cunego59
d
i.imgur.com/CTZ7wu1.png

February Preview
The season really kicks into gear in February as we enter six races and both of our main leaders have their first days on the road.

Volta a Portugal | PTHC
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/t1_portugalx.jpg
L. Meintjes71807871777678576169717471
V. Ndayisenga66787565696873526373726965
B. Uwizeyimana71767274767577505668695874
As mentioned above, this is the first showing of Louis Meintjes in Bralirwa colors. He's targeting at least the Top 5 in the GC, hoping to capitalize on three hill stages with his great puncheur skillset. He has an excellent supporting cast with Ndayisenga, Tesfatsion and Uwizeyima, while Nils Politt and Carlos Verona target the two time trials. It's only the two sprint stages that we don't have any rider for, but perhaps we can get someone in the breakaway there.

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad | HC
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/c0_omloophetnieuws.jpg
D. Young71566174677271717272657074
This is really rather straightforward. Joeri Stallaert won this race twice in a row and we're going for the threepeat. It's a win goal, too. Edward Theuns' arrival in the division might complicate things, but at least Joeri gets all the support we can give him. New signing Matthew Teggart has his first major test here, and it's also Jean Eric Habimana's debut on cobbles.

GP Herning | C2
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/mg_herning.jpg
Matthew Teggart gets his second chance to shine in Denmark, leading a young team onto the cobbles of Herning. He should have a decent chance at a good result, too. Unfortunately, he can't be joined by Tesfom Okbamariam because of an error in planning ...

Le Samyn | HC
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/mg_samyn1.jpg
M. Eyob68767666746973556266727366
S. Mugisha76647074707471636268746468
... as we overlooked the clash of the GP Herning and Le Samyn, so Tesfom is needed here in support of Joeri Stallaert. Joeri had one of his few disappointments last year when he finished "only" 9th, something we want to improve on. Okbamariam and Darren Young hopefully still provide him with all the help he might need.

Paris - Nice | PT
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/top_nice.jpg
L. Meintjes71807871777678576169717471
I. Izagirre69727975706964525861676875
Our second wild card race of the year takes us to beautiful France for Paris - Nice. Louis Meintjes leads us to bug the PT teams. It'll be interesting to see if all those hilly stages will be selective enough to overcome the time trialing limitations that Louis likely has compared to the top PT stage racers, but if they are, he could do some real damage here. And if not, maybe Ion Izagirre can become a secondary GC option. Fabio Silvestre joins them to compete in the three sprint stages, we'll see how that goes.

Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne | C1
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2023/Profiles/c1_kuurne.jpg
To conclude the month, Joeri has his third chance at a great result. Like OHN, Joeri has won this race twice in a row, and again this is a win goal for that reason. We bring our usual cobbles setup and hope for the best!
d

Fabianski
As expected, I don't like Joeri's schedule Pfft
He should be the big favorite in any HC/C1 race he enters, so his chances for three-peats in Omloop and KBK are definitely not small. Although I do hope that Theuns will stop his streak in at least one of them Pfft

Portugal could be another really good race for you, with the startlist being maybe the weakest ever, and Meintjes liking all those hills (and few TT kilometers). And joining you in Paris - Nice for a PT wildcard race will hopefully be a cool experience as well, even though Meintjes will probably leave Stüssi in the dust Wink

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
Cobbles
Cobbles