Fabianski, seancoll

· Total Members: 161,036
· Newest Member: MauriceRayer
View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] Teams HQ
 Print Thread
[PCT] Bralirwa | Season Recap
Mresuperstar
Coward journalists not asking about Girmay :lol: In all seriousness, best of luck this season. I think you have the firepower to be in the PT next season and deserve to be there. Wink
i.imgur.com/MROdsa0.jpg
i.imgur.com/wOuhm5A.jpg
i.imgur.com/g5J7yBi.jpg
i.imgur.com/0XELE5w.jpg
i.imgur.com/cDJTKrt.png

https://twitter.com/Mresuperstar
cunego59
Mresuperstar wrote:
Coward journalists not asking about Girmay :lol: In all seriousness, best of luck this season. I think you have the firepower to be in the PT next season and deserve to be there. Wink

Mr. Boss: With pleasure! Renus was our main target this year - really, the only talent we wanted to pursue. We are therefore very happy to have signed him.

The boss said everything that needs to be said on that topic Pfft

Ulrich Ulriksen wrote:
A very balanced assessment. I have a nice German sprinter who will be on the market next year - just in case you were wondering.

I am sure Angel is a great team player but can't imagine he was thrilled with the news he was opening his season with 6 days in the desert.

We'll see where the team's at next season, in many ways. Maybe we can chat about him Wink
And Angel has been doing lots of altitude training in cold and rainy European mountains, he said he's looking forward to some good old-fashioned heat Grin

cunego59
January Review

A bit late, but we're gonna catch up to current events over the next few days. The year started with a very eventful month of January - five races, including our first ever PT Wild Card ... with mixed but overall arguably successful results. Let's go through each one.

Down Under Classic

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Reports/HC/DUC/22.jpg

Fabio Silvestre opens the season with an okay-ish result.

Last year, we started in Australia with a bang. Fabio Silvestre won the Down Under Classic and we had quiet hopes that he might repeat that feat. But in a tough PCT sprinting field, that was always a long shot. Ultimately, Fabio finished 6th, which is not fantastic, but fine. The rest of the squad did not exactly cover themselves in glory, either.
1Lahcen SaberColombini-Adler Aalterpaint1h40'16
2Peter KennaughHelloFresh - Lampres.t.
3Asbjorn Kragh AndersenCarlsberg - Danske Banks.t.
4Sondre Holst EngerGjensidige Pro Cycling Teams.t.
5Rick ZabelKraftwerk Man Machines.t.
6Fabio SilvestreBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
99Tesfom OkbamariamBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
129Karl Patrick LaukBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
143Renus UhiriweBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
160Samuele MenicucciBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
162Moise MugishaBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
163Alex MengoulasBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
169Yacob DebesayBralirwa - Stevenss.t.

Tour Down Under
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Reports/HC/TdU/mg22_tdu_02_PCM0124.jpg

Stallaert (Belgian Champion; middle) scores a 5th place, a small highlight.

We stayed in Australia for the Tour Down Under. Four flat stages, two hilly ones - with no Silvestre, we couldn't really expect much. Joeri Stallaert had one of his few outings as our primary sprinter and he actually started out quite well. 6th and 5th places in the opening two stages scored us a few points - but it was downhill from there.

On the two hilly stages, none of Valens Ndayisenga, Mektel Eyob or Souheil Khederi even tried anything. If you look at their final GC ranks, it looks almost like a refusal to work. Alex Mengoulas was our only single breakaway participant all week, and while Stallaert couldn't do anything in the final two sprint stages, he at least somehow hung on to a Top 50 finish to add another few points. It's thanks to him alone that this trip wasn't entirely pointless (in both senses of the word).
1Jay McCarthyAmaysim Cervelo18h54'13
2Hugo HouleXero Racing+ 23
3Pedro Miguel PaulinhoBinance+ 26
4Tiesj BenootPhilips - Force India+ 33
5Elie GesbertAssa Abloy+ 39
34Joeri StallaertBralirwa - Stevens+ 2'43
139Alex MengoulasBralirwa - Stevens+ 6'26
165Karl Patrick LaukBralirwa - Stevens+ 7'52
177Natnael TesfatsionBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
179Mektel EyobBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
180Valens NdayisengaBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
181Souheil KhederiBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
185Samuele MenicucciBralirwa - Stevens+ 10'01

Tour of Qatar
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Reports/PT/Qatar/s5/14.jpg

The first podium of the season - a solitary highlight in this race.

Next up was the Tour of Qatar. Our first ever PT race! As a wild card team, we weren't here for points, but we still had ambitions. Fabio Silvestre was here for the five flat stages, but initially, he was completely overwhelmed on this higher level of competition.

He started out with a 23rd and a 20th place, then at leasted sniffed the Top 10 with a 9th place, followed by a 12th. Finally, on the final sprint stage, he found his legs and his nose for the right position. Behind only overall winner Manninen, he crossed the line in second place. That was enough to move into 14th overall, and Bonaventure Uwizeyimana snuck into the Top 30 with a good time trial on the final day. Not quite what we hoped for, but not a desaster by any means.

Oh yeah, and this was also the very first race in our colors for Angel Madrazo. Of course, he had no ambitions here and perhaps his presence even distracted our team from fully supporting Silvestre. But still, it's a noteworthy event!
1Matti ManninenLos Pollos Hermanos15h37'58
2Caleb EwanISA - Hexacta+ 23
3Fernando GaviriaIsostar - Specialized+ 34
4Bryan CoquardELCO - ABEA+ 39
5Dylan GroenewegenAegon - Peroni+ 52
14Fabio SilvestreBralirwa - Stevens+ 1'13
27Bonaventure UwizeyimanaBralirwa - Stevens+ 1'20
54Janvier HadiBralirwa - Stevens+ 1'28
56Samuel MugishaBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
59Angel MadrazoBralirwa - Stevens+ 1'29
73Moise MugishaBralirwa - Stevens+ 1'37
168Tesfom OkbamariamBralirwa - Stevens+ 3'29
175Yacob DebesayBralirwa - Stevens+ 3'33

Hong Kong Challenge
Hilly stage races are typically not our forté. Joey Rosskopf used his time trial last year to score a decent 13th place in Hong Kong but this year, surprisingly enough, we would do even better. And it was Bonaventure Uwizeyimana who had the performance of his Bralirwa career.

On a hilly day one, he managed to just barely hang on to the lead group of 21. He then finished 34th in the following time trial, not a tremendous result on paper, but combined with stage 1, that was enough to vault him to 7th in the GC. And he didn't stop there! With a fantastic effort on the uphill finish of the final day, where he crossed the line in 7th place, he ended up in 4th place overall! An absolutely massive result for us, exactly the type of depth scoring we need in the promotion race.
1Timofey KritskiyGjensidige Pro Cycling8h13'18
2Fausto MasnadaJura GIANTS+ 18
3Rafael ReisRed Bull Zalgiris+ 25
4Bonaventure UwizeyimanaBralirwa - Stevens+ 26
5Benjamin DyballTrans Looney Tunes+ 36
51Souheil KhederiBralirwa - Stevens+ 7'43
54Janvier HadiBralirwa - Stevens+ 8'00
63Valens NdayisengaBralirwa - Stevens+ 8'46
115Samuel MugishaBralirwa - Stevens+ 14'02
144Alex MengoulasBralirwa - Stevens+ 19'31
151Yacob DebesayBralirwa - Stevens+ 20'29
159Renus UhiriweBralirwa - Stevens+ 24'15

Franceville Classique
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Reports/PTHC/Franceville/FVC12.jpg

Our first win of the season, and our first goal checked!

Our final race of January was a big one. The Franceville Classique was our first goal race of the season and we had been ambitious: Following Joeri Stallaert's second place last year, we were aiming for nothing less than the win. And what can we say? Joeri delivered!

In a wild finale, it ultimately came down to a bunch sprint and our Belgian Champ had the best legs, beating surprise Clement Venturini and grandmaster Sam Bewley, the man who had bested him a year earlier. What a fantastic way to start the cobbles season for our superstar! In addition, youngster loanee Samuele Menicucci scored his first points for us, parlaying his breakaway efforts into a strong 36th place and Tesfom Okbamariam just barely squeezed into the Top 50 as well. A great day all around.
1Joeri StallaertBralirwa - Stevens4h33'06
2Clement VenturiniBinances.t.
3Sam BewleyAmaysim Cervelos.t.
4Adam BlytheBinances.t.
5Lukasz WisniowskiAker - MOTs.t.
36Samuele MenicucciBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
50Tesfom OkbamariamBralirwa - Stevens+ 43
74Alex MengoulasBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
87Karl Patrick LaukBralirwa - Stevenss.t.
137Samuel MugishaBralirwa - Stevens+ 4'45
142Natnael TesfatsionBralirwa - Stevens+ 6'07
160Moise MugishaBralirwa - Stevens+ 7'26

February Preview
Cat.RaceLeader(s)
PTHCVolta a PortugalA. Madrazo
HCOmloop Het NieuwsbladJ. Stallaert
C2Gent - WevelgemT. Okbamariam
HCLe SamynJ. Stallaert
PTParis - NiceA. Madrazo, F. Silvestre
HCCirculo de JuarezF. Silvestre
C1Kuurne - Bruxelles - KuurneJ. Stallaert
We continue at a high pace. Goal races 2 and 3 await with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad - as the cobbles season progresses for Stallaert - as well as the Circulo de Juarez for Silvestre. But all eyes are on Angel Madrazo's "real" debut for the team in Portugal.

cunego59
Mid-season Recap

The ship has sailed for catching up on monthly reviews, so let's do something slightly different to get back up to speed. We built the team consciously very top heavy, which meant that our three leaders really had to pull their weight to get us to the top of the PCT table. It also means that almost all of our races featured one of them, so let's look back on the first five to six months of the season through this lense.

Angel Madrazo
A quick reminder: After our offseason plans to get ourselves a future superstar were thwarted, we paid a whopping 2.3 million plus 600k in salaries for Angel, putting all our chips on the table for an immediate promotion push. We did not plan our schedule with an elite climber in mind, but still found 7 races (excluding wild cards) where we thought he could do very well. 5 of them have come and gone, with mixed results.

RaceCatGCStages
Volta a PortugalPTHC7.1x 4th
Vuelta a ColombiaPTHC6.1x 10th
Tour of ChileC17.1x 7th
Pro Hallstatt ClassicHC1.
Tour of East JavaPTHC2.1x 2nd

In Portugal, Angel fell victim to a poor hilly stage. In Colombia, he couldn't keep up with riders nominally worse than him. And in Chile, the mountain stage simply wasn't selective enough and his low speed cost saw him cross the finish line last among the first group. Three stage races, three disappointments, no way around it. At this point, those 2.3 million looked like a rather terrible investment.

Luckily, around came the Pro Hallstatt Classic and it was here that Angel finally made good on his potential. Entering as the top favorite, he delivered us our first non-flat one day race victory, a milestone and an important inflection point, at least it looks like one right now. Because only a few days later, Angel secured a big second place finish on the only mountain stage of the Tour of East Java and a second overall to go along with it.

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Reports/HC/Hallstatt/PCM0021.jpg
Angel Madrazo takes his first victory in white and green.

Just two races remain, both of which he'll enter as one of, if not the top favorite. What he'll be able to do there will significantly define the final outlook of our season.

RaceCatDate
Tour d'AndorraC125.07. - 29.07.
Tour du MarocHC01.10. - 06.10.

Fabio Silvestre
Fabio was a supremely consistent points scorer last year, including several victories, boosting him to a Top 10 finish in the individual rankings as the second best sprinter of the division. While he's been solid so far this year, he hasn't reached those heights quite yet.

RaceCatGCStages
Down Under ClassicHC6.
Circulo de JuarezHC8.1x 3., 1x 6.
Tour de GuadaloupeC12.1x 3., 2x 4.
Baltic Chain TourC19.1x 3., 1x 5.
Berlin Pro RaceC118.
Veenendaal - VeenendaalPTHC17.
Hanko ClassicC15.

A bunch of Top 10s, some stage podiums, but no win yet and two major flops in Berlin and Veenendaal. It's a far cry from last year, where he had already won the Down Under Classic, the Circulo de Juarez and a stage at the Barbados Cycling Festival by this point.

However, while he started strongly then, Fabio ultimately faded a bit towards the end. Maybe this season, it's going to be the other way around? He has ample opportunity to score big points over the next few months.

RaceCatDate
Torshavn GPC101.07.
Philadelphia International ChampionshipPTHC13.07.
Deutschland TourPTHC01.08. - 05.08.
Frankfurt EschbornC115.08.
Riga - Jurmala GPPTHC18.08.
Paris ToursPTHC01.09.
GP LuganoC128.09.

Joeri Stallaert
Even if some things didn't go perfectly for Angel and Fabio, there was one man that we could always rely on. Despite losing some important pieces to his support system, Joeri Stallaert continued his PCT cobbles supremacy:

RaceCatGCStages
Tour Down UnderHC-1x 5th, 1x 6.
Franceville ClassiquePTHC1.
Omloop Het NieuwsbladHC1.
Le SamynHC9.
Kuurne - Bruxelles - KuurneC11.
Lillestrom GPC13.
Tour de PologneHC-1x 7th, 1x 10th
Roma MaximaPTHC6.
Lisbon ClassicHC70.
1 Jour de DunkerqueHC3.

Casually collecting three wins, one each at PTHC, HC and C1 level, and adding two more podium finishes, Joeri is just an incredible rider to follow. If a 9th and a 6th place can be considered disappointing, you know the calibre of rider you're working with. He even added a handful of Top 10 results as a sprinter in stage races - nothing splashy, but just showing up consistently (Lisbon was rough, but also really not a great profile for him).

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Reports/PTHC/Franceville/FVC12.jpg
Joeri Stallaert wins the Franceville Classique

The only bad thing looking at that list is that there are few race days left for Joeri. First, the notoriously unpredictable Benelux Challenge, then our home race, the beauty that is the GP Kigali. He will have to overcome hills in both races to score big, but it's not like he hasn't done that before. Similar to Angel Madrazo, a lot is riding on how efficiently Joeri will convert these few opportunities.

RaceCatDate
Benelux ChallengeHC01.08. - 06.08.
GP KigaliC101.09.

Additional Highlights
While our team is heavily geared towards our three leaders, some of our other riders had their moments to shine, too.

Bonaventure Uwizeyimana scored a brilliant 4th place at the Hong Kong Challenge early in the year and added a good 9th place in a strong field at the Tour of Norway more recently. Tesfom Okbamariam also finished 4th at C2 Gent - Wevelgem, as well as a terrific 12th place in support of Stallaert at the 1 Jour de Dunkerque.

Back at C2 level, Tesfom was slightly disappointing at the Tour du Faso, missing out on the Top 15 in the GC. Nonetheless, it was here that we got our most unlikely highlight of the entire season: Alex Mengoulas, in on loan from ELCO - ABEA, went into the breakaway on stage 2 ... and pulled off a most surprising stage win!

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Reports/C2/Faso/Pics/Stage%202/PCM0011.jpg
Take a bow, Alex Mengoulas!

In general, our youngsters have joined breakaways somewhat regularly, with Moise and Samuel Mugisha as well as loanee Samuele Menicucci standing out, though not with much success. Hopefully, there's more to come in that regard.

So, some good stuff to look back on and much to look forward to as well. While some races have not yielded as many points as we'd have hoped, we're still in the thick of the promotion race and the goal is still very much to finish in the Top 5. Tough, but definetely not impossible.

Additionally, there's one more wild card race left, the Tour of Northern Europe. We haven't touched on that topic yet, I think we'll have a big wild card roundup post after the ToNE, which will then include recaps of the Tour of Qatar, Paris - Nice and of course the Giro d'Italia. Until then, maybe we'll manage to get monthly recaps out again, maybe updates will continue more irregularly. I guess we'll find out together!

redordead
I guess the 'big three' haven't been as dominant as I thought they would be. A touch of bad luck and not optimal planning for Madrazo as likely culprits.
But there are still quite a few races left for them and automatic promotion is well within reach Smile
Edited by redordead on 14-02-2023 13:07

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

Fabianski
Stallaert is just a cheat code, even in PTHC. Congrats on all those wins! Good to see that Madrazo has finally woken up - let's hope he continues that run to justify all that money thrown at him! We'll unfortunately face him both in Andorra and in Morocco Pfft
Silvestre is still really consistent, but maybe at a more realistic level than last year where he just overperformed (in my opinion). He had some lows already, but I'm sure he'll compensate that with some highs in the second half of the year Smile

It'd be great to see your Africans contribute a bit more to your scoring, although I guess you can be happi with Uwi so far. And if you get some more breakaway luck, I'm sure you'll get some more great results from Africans Smile

I really like to follow your project, and I hope that in the long term you can really develop Rwandans into great point contributors, just like SotD did with his Greeks! Promotion along with more budget would certainly help, and I guess a Top 5 this year should indeed still be possible for you Smile

cunego59
redordead wrote:
I guess the 'big three' haven't been as dominant as I thought they would be. A touch of bad luck and not optimal planning for Madrazo as likely culprits.
But there are still quite a few races left for them and automatic promotion is well within reach Smile

Madrazo's underperformance is in part definitely due to a race like Chile not suiting him super well. I did not plan the season with him in mind, that's for sure Pfft Marocco could be similarly tricky if the mountain top finish isn't super selective or if he suffers on the hilly stage, though on paper I think that one doesn't look as bad for him. Andorra on the other hand should be an absolute feast for him. He could (perhaps even should) win multiple stages and carry yellow from day one. If he maximizes his potential there, then that alone could change the resumee of his season, even if it's only a C1 race.

Fabianski wrote:
Stallaert is just a cheat code, even in PTHC. Congrats on all those wins! Good to see that Madrazo has finally woken up - let's hope he continues that run to justify all that money thrown at him! We'll unfortunately face him both in Andorra and in Morocco Pfft
Silvestre is still really consistent, but maybe at a more realistic level than last year where he just overperformed (in my opinion). He had some lows already, but I'm sure he'll compensate that with some highs in the second half of the year Smile

It'd be great to see your Africans contribute a bit more to your scoring, although I guess you can be happi with Uwi so far. And if you get some more breakaway luck, I'm sure you'll get some more great results from Africans Smile

I really like to follow your project, and I hope that in the long term you can really develop Rwandans into great point contributors, just like SotD did with his Greeks! Promotion along with more budget would certainly help, and I guess a Top 5 this year should indeed still be possible for you Smile

Fair point on Silvestre, though that overperformance had been "consistent" with how he himself and others with his stat combination have done in previous years, so it's still a slight disappointment. But one win, or even a podium place or two alongside more consistent scoring, could still make this a successful season for him.

As for the Africans and Rwandans in particular, that is indeed a tricky thing. Ndayisenga is on paper our most prominent one and he wasn't even mentioned, which shows you just how big the shadow of Madrazo is. Wherever he goes, breakaway opportunities disappear for Valens, and he's reduced to domestique duties only.

There was a scenario at some point in the offseason where we'd have signed Girmay and then trained Ndayisenga, which would have of course been a whole different and more African-centric approach. But that obviously wasn't meant to be.

The plan then became to brute force our way to promotion at the expense of short-term representation (although we did increase our percentage of Rwandans) to use PT money to strengthen our foundation. Only time will tell if that works out Grin But at the very least, our first batch of Rwandan and African youngsters will be maxed next year, so that alone should increase their points share. I hope to be able to train Uhiriwe into a true TT contender in the (far) future, and we'll see who else can step up. The commitment remains Wink

SotD
Really happy to see Madrazo upping his game. Those two last races are really pointwhopping in terms of PPrD. It was needed though after those 3 subpar GC races. Andorra looks like a sweet spot for him though, and could further enhance the bigger picture.

Obviously the win for Mengoulas was a highlight for me aswell. Even if I had a dream of him stealing the U25 jersey for the race, the stage however can't be taken away!
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2022/mghq.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png

Ad Bot
Posted on 21-09-2024 20:39
Bot Agent

IP: None  
cunego59
i.imgur.com/3QlWqTI.jpg

Season Review

Spoiler
TheManxMissile wrote:
Madrazo must surely be the move to take you to the PT this season, well worth the expensive outlay to do so.

redordead wrote:
I don't see how you don't promote with that trio of leaders Grin

Eden95 wrote:
Joeri, Silvestre and him are such a strong leading trio and should coast you to promotion on their backs.

knockout wrote:
Congrats to PT promotion! Is there an availability list out already? Wonder if you want to keep Madrazo despite being already 35 or if you plan to replace him or if you use his old body for a better chance at avoiding relegation back to PCT immediately...?

baseballlover312 wrote:
You'll promote, and your African project will be even cooler developing in PT.

AbhishekLFC wrote:
Think that's a great squad to be able to push for the PCT title actually.

The Conglomerate wrote:
"Expert" Predictions

AbhishekLFCCroatia14jandal7knockout
1BralirwaAmaysimAmaysimAmaysim
2AmaysimBralirwaBralirwaBralirwa

Well, don't y'all look silly now Pfft Welcome to our slightly late season recap!

Final 2022 PCT Ranking
PosTeamTotalPpRD
1pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/amc.pngAmaysim Cervelo395524.26
2pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/ziz.pngZara - Irizar339020.8
3pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/min.pngMinions - Subwoolfer327820.11
4pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/ced.pngCedevita326120.01
5pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/cdb.pngCarlsberg - Danske Bank325719.98
6pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/bnb.pngBinance305418.74
7pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/kmm.pngKraftwerk Man Machine297518.25
8pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/pfi.pngPhilips - Force India276616.97
9pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/hla.pngHelloFresh - Lampre276116.94
10pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/lpu.pngLierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam271616.66
11pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/brs.pngBralirwa - Stevens265016.26
Spoiler
12 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/aab.png Assa Abloy 2648 16.35 2665
12 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/xr0.png Xero Racing 2648 16.35 2665
14 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/p4e.png Team Popo4Ever 2479 15.21 2479
15 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/rbz.png Red Bull Zalgiris 2371 14.55 2372
16 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/spr.png Sauber Petronas Racing 2362 14.49 2362
17 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/tlt.png Trans Looney Tunes 2340 14.36 2341
18 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/ino.png Indosat Ooredoo 2338 14.34 2337
19 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/voy.png Voyagin - Bird 2187 13.42 2187
20 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/gct.png Gjensidige Pro Cycling Team 2091 12.83 2091
21 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/sva.png Strava 2031 12.46 2031
22 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/vlf.png Volcanica - Fox 1973 12.1 1972
23 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/ccc.png Crabbe-CC Chevigny 1812 11.12 1813
24 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2022/Micros/afr.png Project: Africa 1641 10.07 1641
So, yeah. Not quite the promotion campaign we were hoping for. On the last day of the season, we even slipped outside of the Top 10. The reasons are relatively simple. Fabio Silvestre scored 200 fewer points than last year, Angel Madrazo didn't come close to matching expectations and we sacrificed nearly all of our depth to sign and support him. It was a gamble and the team was not quite as optimistic as some, but this is still an absolute disappointment.

The team will have to undergo some significant changes for next year, in part as a consequence of those failures. That said, it wasn't all bad in 2022. Here are some of the highlights:

Wins
1.Franceville ClassiqueJoeri StallaertPTHC2022
1.Philadelphia InternationalFabio SilvestrePTHC2022
1.Pro Hallstatt ClassicAngel MadrazoHC2022
1.Omloop Het NieuwsbladJoeri StallaertHC2022
1.Kuurne - Bruxelles - KuurneJoeri StallaertC12022
1.Tour d'Andorra, Stage 3Angel MadrazoC12022
1.Tour d'Andorra, Stage 4Angel MadrazoC12022
1.Tour du Faso, Stage 2Alex MengoulasC22022
i.imgur.com/1giQ34h.pngTour of Northern EuropeMoise MugishaPT2022
8 wins are 5 less than last year, but still very solid. Especially Joeri Stallaert was once again on top of his game. It's kind of appaling that Angel Madrazo wasn't able to win a stage race, but he did give us our first win in a mountain classic, and two stage wins in Andorra as well, where he finished third overall.

Loanee Alex Mengoulas' stage win at the Tour du Faso and Moise Mugisha's polkadot jersey in our wild card race Tour of Nothern Europe - adding a second place on the final stage in the process - were very charming surprises. Another wild card race was our first Grand Tour in team history, the Giro d'Italia. Angel Madrazo ended up in fifth place overall with two Top 3 stage results.

In addition to Andorra, Madrazo also scored podium finishes at the Tours of East Java and Maroc. Fabio Silvestre added a second place at the Tour du Guadeloupe, while Joeri Stallaert finished third in all of 1 Jour de Dunkerque, Lillestrom GP and, most importantly, our home race, the GP Kigali.

Team Goals
Cat.RaceGoalResult
PTHC Roma Maxima Win 6. (J. Stallaert)
PTHC Franceville Classique Win 1. (J. Stallaert)
PTHC Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Win 1. (J. Stallaert)
HC Circulo de Juarez Top 58. (F. Silvestre)
PCT Team StandingsTop 1011.
We were very ambitious with our goals, pushing for a bigger budget while knowing that we might pay for it in the following year. But Joeri Stallaert came through to hit two win goals, even if he missed one by a good bit. Fabio Silvestre did okay in Juarez, a race he won the year before. And well, the team standings are of course a big disappointment, but it's a narrow miss, at least.

Individual Rider Evaluation
PointsPpRDWagePp1kFeeAdj
Angel Madrazo79023,24600.000 €1,322.304M€0,27
Joeri Stallaert70619,08650.000 €1,09
Fabio Silvestre62916,13440.000 €1,43
Bonaventure Uwizeyimana1753,0285.000 €2,06
Valens Ndayisenga681,24110.000 €0,62
Tesfom Okbamariam661,1850.000 €1,32
Janvier Hadi470,6950.000 €0,94
Alex Mengoulas **430,4950.000 €0,86
Mektel Eyob360,6275.000 €0,48
Houcaine El Sabbahi310,4750.000 €0,62
Samuel Mugisha260,4155.000 €0,47
Samuele Menicucci **130,1450.000 €0,26
Renus Uhiriwe80,1050.000 €0,16
Souheil Khederi70,1050.000 €0,14
Natnael Tesfatsion40,0670.000 €0,06
Karl Patrick Lauk **10,0150.000 €0,02
Moise Mugisha0050.000 €0
Yacob Debesay0050.000 €0
Shemu Nsengiyumva *0010.000 €0
Aziz Melki *0010.000 €0
Marc Brustenga *0010.000 €0
Ivan Cobo *0010.000 €0
* Stagiaire, ** loaned in
I mentioned earlier that Silvestre scored 200 points fewer than last year. Of the riders that rode with us both this and last year, Valens Ndayisenga (-99), Moise Mugisha (-41), Mektel Eyob (-21), Janvier Hadi (-18) and Souheil Khederi (-13) all decreased their points total, too.

On the other hand, Bonaventure Uwizeyimana (+94) is the big positive surprise of the year. Tesfom Okbamariam (+40) and Houcaine El Sabbahi (+28) made big steps forward, while Joeri Stallaert (+2) and Natnael Tesfatsion (+3) scored almost identical points compared to last year - though on different ends of the spectrum. Alex Mengoulas and Samuele Menicucci were very successful loans, Karl Patrick Lauk did a decent job even if it didn't reflect on the stat sheet. Our stagiaires didn't make much of an impact, while 21 year old Renus Uhiriwe already contributed a few points.

Looking at efficiency metrics, Uwizeyimana is easily our strongest rider in terms of points per wage. Silvestre is also looking well alongside Okbamariam and Angel Madrazo. However, if you factor in the extraordinary transfer fee, Madrazo's value plummets. In total, you really can't say that the investment paid off.
-

Fabianski
It's a shame that you didn't even achieve the very conservative Top 10 team standings goal. Madrazo should easily be the biggest disappointment in PCT, no clue why he failed so hard so many times. The total score doesn't even look that bad with respect to his wage, but as you say, with the transfer fee factored in, it probably wasn't worth it. Especially not on the longer term.
I agree that the main reason for not even getting close to promotion is lack of depth. The numbers clearly remind me of Xero's scoring structure, whereas Cedevita did pretty much the opposite - no huge scorer, but fantastic depth.

I'm sure you'll come up with a good strategy for the next transfer period, though - and I guess with no goal missed by more than 5 spots, and two win goals achieved, you should have quite some money to play with Smile

redordead
cunego59 wrote:
redordead wrote:

Well, don't y'all look silly now Pfft Welcome to our slightly late season recap!

I would've more than taken our positions at least being swapped Embarassed

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgmanager21.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

AbhishekLFC
cunego59 wrote:
redordead wrote:

More silly than others Pfft

Shame how it turned out. Madrazo wasn't great and rebuilding the team for him didn't work out as a result. Think you still have a good base to build on for the coming season though Smile Can foresee some changes for sure with major declines. Look forward to see how you approach this.

jandal7
Love the name and shaming - we get it all the time for managers who overperform the predictions but good on you for still doing it the other way around Smile Not the season you wanted maybe but this is still such a good base to build for next year (even if as Fabianski has pointed out you didn't get the depth scoring you would have fairly hoped for similar to us).

On the bright side about the Madrazo signing, he massively outscored the alternative in Girmay, so things could have been a lot worse!
24/02/21 - kandesbunzler said “I don't drink famous people."
15/08/22 - SotD said "Your [jandal's] humour is overrated"
11/06/24 - knockout said "Winning is fine I guess. Truth be told this felt completely unimportant."

[ICL] Santos-Euskadi | [PT] i.imgur.com/c85NSl6.png Xero Racing

i.imgur.com/PdCbs9I.png
i.imgur.com/RPIlJYr.png
5x i.imgur.com/wM6Wok5.png x5
i.imgur.com/olRsxdu.png
2x pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/funniest21.png x2
2x i.imgur.com/TUidkLG.png x2

cunego59
Fabianski wrote:
It's a shame that you didn't even achieve the very conservative Top 10 team standings goal. Madrazo should easily be the biggest disappointment in PCT, no clue why he failed so hard so many times. The total score doesn't even look that bad with respect to his wage, but as you say, with the transfer fee factored in, it probably wasn't worth it. Especially not on the longer term.
I agree that the main reason for not even getting close to promotion is lack of depth. The numbers clearly remind me of Xero's scoring structure, whereas Cedevita did pretty much the opposite - no huge scorer, but fantastic depth.

I'm sure you'll come up with a good strategy for the next transfer period, though - and I guess with no goal missed by more than 5 spots, and two win goals achieved, you should have quite some money to play with Smile

It's certainly interesting how depth has been a better strategy this year, which seems a bit in contrast to previous years. But apart from Madrazo regularly underperforming, another factor is that I didn't do my planning with a stage racer in mind at all. Hell, I even had the intention to sell Stallaert going into transfers, so he didn't have a perfect schedule, either. There was so much uncertainty going along with the Girmay bidding war that coherence ultimately suffered.

I think I have a better understanding of what I want to do these transfers with much more specific planning, and more avenues to achieve it, too. I'm not sure if the season will be more successful than last, but hopefully it'll at least match expectations more.

redordead wrote:
cunego59 wrote:
redordead wrote:

I would've more than taken our positions at least being swapped Embarassed

I think it's actually pretty cool that your teambuilding approach worked out so well. It's probably more sustainable in PT, too, at least I hope so. I also hope I can join you there at some point, even if my path there might now be a bit longer Smile

AbhishekLFC wrote:
cunego59 wrote:
redordead wrote:

More silly than others Pfft

Shame how it turned out. Madrazo wasn't great and rebuilding the team for him didn't work out as a result. Think you still have a good base to build on for the coming season though Smile Can foresee some changes for sure with major declines. Look forward to see how you approach this.

I still appreciate the confidence though, don't get me wrong Pfft I'll be honest, I don't think the base is super strong but I'm really looking forward to transfers. I think I have some interesting moves to potentially make and I intend to build more with an eye to the future, which sounds fun at least in principle (until someone wrecks their perfectly fine PT team and makes me buy another 34 year old, I guess Grin ).

jandal7 wrote:
Love the name and shaming - we get it all the time for managers who overperform the predictions but good on you for still doing it the other way around Smile Not the season you wanted maybe but this is still such a good base to build for next year (even if as Fabianski has pointed out you didn't get the depth scoring you would have fairly hoped for similar to us).

On the bright side about the Madrazo signing, he massively outscored the alternative in Girmay, so things could have been a lot worse!

If I'm underperforming, at least I'll drag a few people with me Pfft The main problem is that depth previously came from climbers that could join a break or have a surprise here and there (Ndayisenga and Eyob, mostly), but that role simply didn't exist anymore with all of their mountain race days going in support of Madrazo. And the complete lack of capable puncheurs is something that (finally after three years) probably needs to be addressed.

Also, good point on the Madrazo/Girmay comparison. Until Bini takes a win at the Pro Hallstatt Classic, I'll consider myself squarely the winner of that fight Pfft

Mresuperstar
cunego59 wrote:
Also, good point on the Madrazo/Girmay comparison. Until Bini takes a win at the Pro Hallstatt Classic, I'll consider myself squarely the winner of that fight Pfft

It's only a matter of time... Enjoy it while it lasts. Pfft
i.imgur.com/MROdsa0.jpg
i.imgur.com/wOuhm5A.jpg
i.imgur.com/g5J7yBi.jpg
i.imgur.com/0XELE5w.jpg
i.imgur.com/cDJTKrt.png

https://twitter.com/Mresuperstar
Nemolito
I am proud to say that, unlike others, I never really believed in this team.

Jk of course, was really rooting for you. Looking at the win list you would also expect this team to be higher in the rankings. Of course that's a result of the lack of depth, but definitely lack of luck in some races I think as well. I'm glad to see your goals were okay in the end, so you're assured a decent budget probably this season.

I know you hoped to go up this time, and you would have definitely deserved it as well for all your work and activity. Hopefully Stallaert can go crazy one more time in his final year at his prime, and with the 'right' FA's and transfer who knows where you'll end up this year. Already looking forward to how you'll manage the transfer season and what your main targets will be Smile
www.pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/newmember.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgreporter21.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2022/mgtoty.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/moty-cunego.png

cunego59
Mresuperstar wrote:
cunego59 wrote:

It's only a matter of time... Enjoy it while it lasts. Pfft

Make Bini a stage racer, I dare you Pfft

Nemolito wrote:
I am proud to say that, unlike others, I never really believed in this team.

Jk of course, was really rooting for you. Looking at the win list you would also expect this team to be higher in the rankings. Of course that's a result of the lack of depth, but definitely lack of luck in some races I think as well. I'm glad to see your goals were okay in the end, so you're assured a decent budget probably this season.

I know you hoped to go up this time, and you would have definitely deserved it as well for all your work and activity. Hopefully Stallaert can go crazy one more time in his final year at his prime, and with the 'right' FA's and transfer who knows where you'll end up this year. Already looking forward to how you'll manage the transfer season and what your main targets will be Smile

Appreciate your confidence Pfft and also, more seriously, your kind words. Hope was there, but also, going up with this team, it would have been super challenging to remain in PT, so maybe it's for the best to now pivot to a more long-term strategy. Transfers are definetely going to be exciting Smile

cunego59
d
i.imgur.com/3QlWqTI.jpg

Talent Development

Always a fun part of the offseason: Checking in with your talents and seeing how they develop. And as a special treat this year, we get to see the first crop of talents signed in our first season reach their maximum potential (... for now). Take a look:

Moise Mugisha 4 > Max 2023: 26yo Puncheur Potential: 4
FLMOHITTSTRSRCCOSPACFIDHPR
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
One of our first two Rwandan youngsters we signed in our first year, Moise Mugisha leads the way in our efforts to put Rwandan cycling on firmer ground. He’s a capable puncheur with a big attacking spirit, something he’s shown throughout his three years on the team and which has most recently culminated in winning the mountain jersey at the Tour of Northern Europe - no small feat on PT level. This is what we expect from him going forward - going on the attack, scoring mountain points and perhaps at some point even a win or two.

Samuel Mugisha 4 > Max 2023: 26yo Time Trialist Potential: 4
Samuel Mugisha has often been involved in breakaways, too, and he’ll be encouraged to continue that. He’s now also coming into his own as a solid time trialist and good all around domestique with a big motor on flat roads but also decent ability to go uphill.

Jonas Rutsch 4 > Max 2023: 26yo Cobbles Potential: 5
Jonas Rutsch has spent the past two years out on loan, but he returns as an elite cobblestone domestique. His great resistance and stamina, combined with his above-average flat and cobbles skills will make him a valuable addition to Joeri Stallaert’s support staff. And let’s not forget that, even if it didn’t look like it for much of the past year or two, this is still a part-German team. Jonas is a foundational piece on which we intend to build upon.

Houcaine El Sabbahi 4 > Max 2023: 26yo Sprinter Potential: 5
Our talent roster is very diverse in skillsets, as you can see. A puncheur, a time trialist, a cobbles specialist, what’s missing? A fast guy, of course! That’s Houcaine El Sabbahi. He’s lacking the top speed to make him a true contender even on lower levels, but with his excellent supporting stats, he’s an elite leadout man at the very least.

Natnael Tesfatsion 3 > 4 2023: 24yo Puncheur Potential: 5
While all of the guys above are exciting, no one is at the talent level of Natnael Tesfatsion. Even now, at age 24, he’s already the best puncheur of the team. Now, that arguably says more about the team than about Natnael, but you get the point: He’s a good rider and he’s only getting better. We’re very excited for his future.

Yacob Debesay 1 > 3 2023: 24yo Puncheur Potential: 6
A strong complement to Natnael Tesfatsion, we have another talented Eritrean puncheur in our ranks in Yacob Debesay. He’s not quite the pure puncheur, but with no discernible weaknesses, a good punch and a fighting spirit, we hope he’ll both be an important part of any puncheur squad, and an exciting attacker when allowed to go for himself.

Renus Uhiriwe 1 > 2 2023: 22yo Time Trialist Potential: 5
To conclude our talent review section, we have another young gun from Rwanda. Renus Uhiriwe is a talented time trialist, who will become an excellent addition to any team time trialing unit, a solid time trialist in his own right as well as, potentially, a perennial national TT champion.

Skill Decreases

A less fun part of the offseason: looking at your ageing riders and seeing them decline. This year, we’re hit especially hard as two of our most important riders regress - one for the first time, one for the third already.

Fabio Silvestre 2023: 33yo Sprinter

Angel Madrazo 2023: 35yo Stage Racer

With Fabio Silvestre and Angel Madrazo, our all-time leading scorer as well as the biggest name we’ve ever had, who also happened to be our biggest scorer last year, are visited by father time. Both are still capable riders even at their respective ages who we’d be happy to have return, but their output will necessarily decline with their abilities, which doesn’t bode particularly well for the upcoming season.

That being said, looking at this overview, we can generally be very happy. Our talent factory is flourishing and even if some of our leaders may be past their prime, this will only make room for other riders to fill those gaps. We couldn’t be more excited heading into the upcoming transfer season.

Nemolito
What a great feeling to max out your first level one talents, eh? I think you underestimate El Sabbahi though, as he has the potential to be an okay second sprinter in PCT this season already imo. Looking forward to him scoring some nice points and proving me right Smile

But of course, the two Rwandans maxing and quite a strong Rutsch is also great to see. Guess it's time to find a new lead sprinter though, I wonder where you'll go looking for that position Smile
www.pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/newmember.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2021/mgreporter21.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2022/mgtoty.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2023/moty-cunego.png

Fabianski
Agree with Nemo; looking at what both Stepniak and Aregger achieved in C1/HC races last year, I think El Sabbahi should be a great sprinter for the stage races with those backups Smile
Looking forward to see the Mugishas in action - and I definitely hope for you that Moise will indeed work out as an attacker, not like a certain Mr. Lienhard having a similar skillset and not caring about breakaways Pfft

The three still developing riders are looking great for the future as well, with Tesfatsion likely contributing quite some points this year already Smile

Declines aren't great obviously, but Madrazo should - on paper - still have a strong PCT season in him. Silvestre probably no longer the man for the flat classics, but he could have some bright days as well.

Looking forward to see how your roster will look like after transfers - whether you'll try again to go for promotion, or do kind of a rebuilding year Smile

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest content
Screenshots
Breakaway Going Down
Breakaway Going Down