2015Marlen ZmorkaMetinvest-Dacia
2014Jerome CoppelSimply Red Bull
2013Fabian CancellaraSimply Red Bull
2012Jerome CoppelMilka - Vittel
2011Michael RogersLa Gazzetta dello Sport
2010David ZabriskieWikipedia
2009David ZabriskieWikipedia
2008Sebastian LangDesigna Kokken

Twelve editions of Chrono des Herbiers have taken place, consecutively since its inception in 2008, meaning it is time for the thirteenth editions. Hopefully the riders aren't superstitious. Over the last years, the second-most prestigious time trial event after the World Championships have been dominated by a certain American by the name of Phinney, going four-in-a-row and looking to make it a quintuplet of wins. All other former winners don't participate this year because they have retired (Lang, Zabriskie, Rogers, Cancellara), ride at a lower level (Zmorka) or aren't selected (Coppel). Who can break the Phinney dominance?

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/profiles/pt_itt.jpg

Les Herbiers is a town in the west of France, hosting two consecutive time trials over the same route, with the aggregate time determining the final result. The 48 kilometers takes the riders over a single road, split in two, with the riders turning around at the end, going back to the start and doing it once more, and then the same on the next day. The route definitely isn't flat, but doesn't contain major climbs either.

Startlist

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Reports/PT/Herbiers/startlist.jpg

FavoritesTTFLRESOutsidersTTFLRES
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Phinney837374pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/afk.png Kwok797673
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/grm.png W├╝rtz827778pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/tti.png Vorobev797571
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/yor.png Durbridge817374pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/kng.png Van Winden797368
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ino.png Keizer817279pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/vlv.png Haugard797277
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/fes.png Vlatos817271pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/mos.png Hepburn797177
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ebd.png Lammertink807476pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/eav.png Wirtgen787374
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pum.png S├╝tterlin807177pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pum.png Politt787373
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/tti.png Yatsevich807081pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/afk.png Bernaudeau787371
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ubs.png Dillier807077pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/eav.png Jungels787275
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/fpc.png Paillot807074pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ino.png Ligthart787266
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/tti.png Malori797873pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/vlv.png Campenaerts787173

Only one rider deserves to be put on top of the favorites list, which is four-time winner pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Phinney. The American has been dominant in the two-leg-era, winning for RBC and Grieg. This year he is the hope of Isostar. The number one bib is obviously his, and he hopes his finishing position will be the same.

Grieg this year throws its support behind pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/grm.png W├╝rtz, number nine of the last edition. He has been preparing hard to be in top shape for this race. The young Dane might become a future dominator of this race, is this edition going to be the turning point in history?

cycleYorkshire sends two-time winner and local hero Coppel to Slovenia, instead giving leadership in this race to pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/yor.png Durbridge, who did finish fourth in 2015 but since then only has one top ten though he couldn't always participate. Can he crack the podium for he first time, and perhaps even go directly to the top step?

Someone who preferred a bit more elevation is pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ino.png Keizer, though beating Phinney is not guaranteed then either. The Dutchman is the runner-up of last edition, losing out by 51 seconds. Furthermore he has five top tens, so knows how to perform here in France.

One rider who wished it could be as flat as possible is pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/fes.png Vlatos. He is very consistent in this race, finishing between fifth and seventh for he past four editions, though there is a guy who finished first in all those. The Greek should at least extend that streak, though finishing higher should be the objective.

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ebd.png Lammertink has a best result of twenty-first, not something to be proud of. Cracking the top ten seems a must, a top five would be amazing and a win would be historical.

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pum.png S├╝tterlin has also never finished in the top ten, falling one place short in 2017. Last edition he finished fifteenth, so he is definitely knocking on the door.

If there were a teams classification, or this was a trio time trial, Tinkoff would be favorites with pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/tti.png Yatsevich, pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/tti.png Malori and pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/tti.png Vorobev. The first one took eighth last time around and fourth the year before, and should be their best hope for a top ten, though the other two could also get close.

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ubs.png Dillier has a eleventh place in 2018 and a non-participation in 2019. A year at a lower level and the Swiss is back to put his name in the top ten.

Farfetch is running away with the PCT title, but is pitched against a higher level of competition on a wildcard. pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/fpc.png Paillot has a eighteenth and twelfth position from the last editions, following the trend he should finish twenty-fourth. Let's hope for his sake that won't be the case and he can reverse the curve. In absence of Coppel, he is the hope of the French nation.

Some interesting names on the outsiders list are number ten from last year pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/kng.png Van Winden, number seven of 2015 pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/mos.png Hepburn, young talent pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/eav.png Wirtgen and coureur local pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/afk.png Bernaudeau.
Manager of Minions

roturn
Well...I doubt we score very well here.

tastasol
Big race for us this. W├╝rtz have been very consistent in the TTs so far this season and we have to say that anything less than a podium would be disappointing. Excited to see how he will do. Should be hard to beat Phinney, but you never know if we're lucky with the daily form.

Not sure what to expect from Cosnefroy and Norman Hansen, but hope for a place in the top 30.

knockout
Thank you for reporting this. Congrats to the winner. On to the next race.
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!
And To All Who Organize Something On Daily As Well!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

Ad Bot
Posted on 15-05-2021 18:16
Bot Agent

IP: None  
cio93
Jasha S├╝tterlin needs to finally show here what he usually does in a much more difficult Praha - Karlovy Vary - Praha, which is a solid Top 10 performance.

Obviously, with such a close field below the top riders, there are bound to be surprises and disappointments, and it would mean a lot in our post-Tour fight for a podium spot to continue the momentum in the same country and get back to steady points scoring throughout the rest of the season.
The double leg is supposed to eliminate some of the TT randomness, but it can still wreck you just as hard if you have a bad day.

Politt hopefully adds some points as well, while Ganna would obviously love for the two-day format to bring a white jersey competition along. Maybe the very slightly undulating route favors his skillset already.
Either way, he can gain very useful experience for a race he could be a favorite to win 3-4 years down the road though.

baseballlover312
Go Wurtz!
RIP Exxon Duke, David Veilleux, Double Feature, and Monster Energy
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/avatar.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/forumthread.png
i.imgur.com/VCXYUyF.png
i.imgur.com/4osUjkI.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/baseballlover312
ember
Hoping for a top 15 from Vangstad, though, a top 20 will be solid.

This is also the race where we could drop down in the relegation zone, as Wurtz should do very well here. Not a nice feeling! Pfft

The victory should be between Wurtz and Phinney, and the latter must be the favourite, like he always is here for the past years. Five in a row will still be very, very impressive, if he wins it.

redordead
Go go, Phinney!! Smile

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Poga─Źar

DubbelDekker
We only have 76 TT riders here, so little chance to get a good result.
i.imgur.com/5iNQj.png

SotD
If we can get a very good result from Vlatos here we could keep the fight for top 5 going - if not I could see us quickly falling far behind. On paper it should be a good race for Vlatos though, so here's hoping it will be!
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png

ryant
Hopefully, Durbridge lurks in and around the podium spots as we really need a good amount of pts. Our depth really seems to have gone on Slovenie but that was a waste Pfft Van Baarle could spring a surprise if the bumps are tough enough...
Edited by ryant on 05-05-2021 13:43
i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/ryant15/yorkshire_zpsw1qiv8uk.png

Banana John St Ledger in Team Bunzl-Centrica and Team U25Banana

Red Bull Driver in RFactor

Croatia14
Come on Phinney, we need the win if we wanna try to attack Evonik at some point! Thanks for the great preview Smile

Bikex
Van Winden is my only option here as my main focus lies on Tour de Slovenie. Hope he can at least get some points.

tastasol
That was another great fight by W├╝rtz! He must have been flying on that first TT and to be honest the second TT was very good as well, but Phinney is just a monster. Can't do anything else than admire his level and hopefully W├╝rtz can be able to take over the throne in the years to come.

Decent depth scoring also, so all in all a great race for us. Congrats on the win, Croatia and thanks for the report, Marco. Really had me on the edge of my seat all the way through.

ember
Wow, sensational first "stage" there from Vangstad! A pity he couldn't follow it up, eventhough we couldn't expect it looking at his stats and abilities. 20th is the end is okay, but I'm afraid we'll need better to survive in the PT this season.

Congratulations on the win, Croatia! Cool to see W├╝rtz put up a proper fight, forcing Phinney to work for his money.

Thank you for the report, Nemolito! That was entertaining to read to the very end, due to the fight for the win.

alexkr00
Pretty good results from Lammertink there especially given bis record in the race.

Really enjoyed the way you reported the second half there.
i.imgur.com/S1M3OtV.png
i.imgur.com/wzkfv39.png
i.imgur.com/Uhicj1C.png
i.imgur.com/Ie56lsQ.png

valverde321
Really not a good race for us, but that was to be expected.

Thanks for the report.

Croatia14
Awesome reporting! Phinney doing very well with that recovery ride on stage 2, taking home the expected yet needed win. A small shame that Daniel finished 51st won't make us sad as we got exactly what we came for from this race.

baseballlover312
Heartbreaking for Wurtz. Sad
RIP Exxon Duke, David Veilleux, Double Feature, and Monster Energy
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/avatar.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/funniest.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/forumthread.png
i.imgur.com/VCXYUyF.png
i.imgur.com/4osUjkI.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/baseballlover312
Nemolito
ember wrote:
Thank you for the report, Nemolito! That was entertaining to read to the very end, due to the fight for the win.

Thanks, but you can call me Marcovdw Pfft

Jump to Forum: