· Total Members: 146,874
· Newest Member: yanantes
Donate
View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] General
 Print Thread
Tour de France Discussion
valverde321
I really should have brought a team of 77 MO riders to all 3 grand tours instead of bringing them in support of Top 10 challengers, and then I would have scored 4x the points. Well and actually, then maybe I'd have a rider in the Top 10, since they can gain 5 minutes each mountain stage from the break and also challenge for stage wins.

The fact GTs score so much points, but 2/3 of the stages "randomly" go to the same 5 teams every time, really skew the scoring. If Chiarello, Galta, Schelling, Schleck, Carapaz etc can join the break, then surely Quintana should have been able to.

DubbelDekker
The favorites messed up today.
Letting the break win in a stage like this is fine, but gifting them 4 minutes and allowing Schelling back to 2nd in GC is not smart.

Next two stages there's no excuse. We get proper final climbs and the favorites have rested their legs. They will have to deliver some fireworks.
i.imgur.com/5iNQj.png

roturn
Great to see Olivier is back to where his strength was before the breakaways.

Must admit, I was a bit lucky this time alongside Meintjes but due to all the breaks, an attack on the final climb was the smartest thing and due to his weak TTs he was no danger to the top3-4 riders, that are stronger than him.

The nice jojo in the end almost delivered him the stage win after Meintjes gapped him, but it wasn`t meant to be. Good 2nd anyway and important stage points as well.

As hopefully the final mountain stage also goes to the peloton, Olivier can hopefully defend his position or even attack Schelling/Spilak, while not being attacked too much himself by Meintjes/Dombrowski or even another breakaway by Chiarello/Roglic etc.

GC now looks a lot more like the pre breakaway result with Dombrwoski, Barguil, Morton, Quintana being the biggest riders being left behind due to this.

cio93
This might've been our finest piece of strategy all race long, I'm really happy with that stage.

Madrazo got forced into chasing Alarcon/Roglic very early, then Stüssi and Vasyliv were able to take over to control the race somewhat while still finishing well on the day themselves.
We've then smartly let the duo attack from Meintjes and Olivier go on the final climb to reduce the bonus seconds available at the finish to cover the possibility of Madrazo or Sicard being stronger, and then Silvio just followed the important wheels when the attacks came.
And in the end, he both gave it a shot before the sprint and then relied on his punch to the finish once that attempt was unsuccessful to bag the final seconds on the line, and decisively got out of bonus second range.

Famously, the final part of the Alpe doesn't lend itself to create time gaps as it flattens out significantly.
Since we do not need to care about the finishing position anymore as long as it's s.t. with Madrazo and Sicard, it thus will again be all about anticipating and matching the early accelerations, which we've seen Herklotz do successfully at any stage of this TdF.
No heroics into Sainte Devote.

One more stage. One more effort. One more Alpe d'Huez. Let's do this!!

Ad Bot
Posted on 15-05-2021 17:56
Bot Agent

IP: None  
valverde321
So glad our defensive racing strategy was able to preserve Quintana's 18th overall.

tastasol
Exciting stage - and still one more to go!

A bit quieter day for us. Hopefully Nesset managed to save some energy for a last effort tomorrow.

Great win for Yorkshire, congrats on that ryant! Looking at how my rivals are doing, it's going to be a big, big fight to avoid relegation. I'm pretty confident we'll pass 5000 points, but certainly not sure that will be enough this season. Aegon will probably overtake us after TdF, Volvo possibly too and UBS will at least close the gap more or less.

DubbelDekker
Wow crazy start. It was cool to see Madrazo take responsibility and control the Roglic/Alarcon attack, but with so many kilometers left to ride it might've been smarter to leave it up to the domestiques.

The final climbed seemed to become a major disappointment for a while, but I'm very glad that Sicard broke the status quo and triggered a fight between the big three. In the end Madrazo wasn't able to shake either of them, but at least he fought until his tank was empty. Awesome report again, cunego.

Tomorrow will be a special day for Madrazo. His last GT mountain stage at full climbing power and it's on Alpe d’Huez. This one stage is his final opportunity to become a true MG legend, but he'll need a massive performance to distance Herklotz and make it happen.
i.imgur.com/5iNQj.png

ember
Great reporting, cunego! Really enjoyed the early kilometers of that stage, where everything was happening Smile

Galta coming up short on the final climb was admittedly a disappointment, especially seeing several of the names ahead of him. Guess it probably was down to a bad/mediocre daily form. Being down to 15th in the GC is probably good, though, as it might give him room to join the breakaway on the final mountain stage. Hopefully he gets involved, as there's a chance for third in the KoM classification if he chases points on Col de la Croix de Fer.

Also cool to see the GC fight live on for the final mountain stage. Cheering for a big fight, hopefully with the stage win also in the mix for them, as that will be a worthy end to this Tour.

SotD
What a stage. From multiple reasons it was a long sigh for us, although it was very entertaining. Both Vlatos and more importantly Nizzolo dropped out from the race. The latter was the hope for points in the 3rd week, and with that we can shoot out any dreams of reaching the 500 points mark.

Boily with a great effort also collecting some KOM points (Adding 1 point to our tally from it), but due to his innefective process in other stages he will have no chance to stay in the KOM battle and will likely drop to 9th or 10th after tomorrows stage, making this useless.

Also 3 times in the 3rd week have Boily finished in the region 11-15th, so it really hasn't been his lucky race. In this specific stage the stage was lost 10km to go when the "favorites" started attacking. On a normal stage that would have waited for another 5km and Boily would have had a shot at the stagewin even.

All that aside, it was a thrill to read the stage (once the site finally allowed it) and despite Herklotz yet again collecting some seconds things are infuriatingly close. Not so much with Schelling, but Sicard and Madrazo within 32 seconds before a final mountaintop stage. Wow.

When looking at the GC though I do feel sorry for the likes of Dombrowski, Barguil, Galta and especially Morton. The GC's in this version really fancy breakaway riders to run away with A LOT of succes each time. This time favoring the likes of Schelling, Chiarello (again), and Meintjes/Roglic to a minor degree.

Oh well. I'll be eagerly awaiting the final GC stage to see what happens. If Madrazo can win the stage (like he should) things could get SO close.
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png

knockout
Super interesting stage. I enjoyed the Roglic/Alarcon madness at the start but i wonder how they still finish so well after all the efforts.

Chiarello drops two places - probably at least partly due to his KoM chasing but misses the jersey for now. Not sure what the right decision would have been, either focussing on the GC now or trying to get polkadots while maintaining the GC position as well as possible can be promising.

However, the way the stage went puts Evonik in a tough strategic dilemma. We cannot afford to let Dion Smith into the break since Chiarello likely wont be allowed to join. So we probably have to chase hard at the beginning. However, not allowing any break to go clear will improve the odds that Herklotz can get a lot of points for green. Which probably makes it very important that Van Stayen hunts for the intermediate points...
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!
And To All Who Organize Something On Daily As Well!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

SotD
knockout wrote:
Super interesting stage. I enjoyed the Roglic/Alarcon madness at the start but i wonder how they still finish so well after all the efforts.

Chiarello drops two places - probably at least partly due to his KoM chasing but misses the jersey for now. Not sure what the right decision would have been, either focussing on the GC now or trying to get polkadots while maintaining the GC position as well as possible can be promising.

However, the way the stage went puts Evonik in a tough strategic dilemma. We cannot afford to let Dion Smith into the break since Chiarello likely wont be allowed to join. So we probably have to chase hard at the beginning. However, not allowing any break to go clear will improve the odds that Herklotz can get a lot of points for green. Which probably makes it very important that Van Stayen hunts for the intermediate points...

May I suggest allowing Kastrantas and Boily to go away as the only two riders and then give them 10-15 minutes?
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

SotD
Congrats on a massive race cio. Comisserations Dubbeldekker for 2nd. It was close to the very end, but Herklotz is just a Man-Game beast.

After having seen nothing at all from our two loanies Barta and Budyak, both of them suddenly decided that this stage was the right one for them. What a waste of energy. Barta even failing top 10 U25 despite finishing high today. Boily 5th in the KOM is atleast a couple of points worth.

I guess too many sprinters are in to allow for a breakaway to win tomorrow, but it's our only chance to get a few points. Fingers crossed Aidan does an Aidan.
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

Croatia14
Terrible stage for us, with Roglic dropping out of the expected Top10 and also Novak and Calmejane loosing time. Still we defended white, one of the goals heading into the race which is awesome, and also rescued the team classification which is fantastic.

Amazing work reporting, that was some stellar stuff. Also congrats to cio, Herklotz dominated the race even more than expected. Big result for you. Very good to see a GC roughly as one would expect from before the race.
ICL20 // Euskaltel Story // Can't Slow Down // 21 and Done // Dreams of a Viper

since 2018: Radsim'05: Astana
Most Improved Team 2018 & 2019 // Manager of the Year 2018, 2019 & 2020

PCM.daily Awards:
Most Improved Member '16 // MG New Manager '16 // Thread of the Year (PCT Roundtable Analysis) '17 '18 '19 // Most Helpful Member '18 '19 '20 // MG Team of the Year (Isostar - Adriatic) '18 // MG Manager of the Year '18 '19 // Member of the Year '19
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/moty.png
i.imgur.com/LIXbw59.png
i.imgur.com/X7eDBRB.png

RSM-news/PCM.daily 2019 DB Updates: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4
PCM.daily DB 2020 Updates: 1 // 2 // 3
PCM.daily Expansion Pack for PCM20 Updates: 1 // 1.5 // 1.8

roturn
5th is a very nice result and shows that the training works for Olivier. He was regular late top10 before training, so this is just the logical next step. Due to the loss of 3min in the TTs, this is an even better performance, seeing just from the mountains, he would have been able to come closer or even reach the podium. That said, it needed the TT loss to be allowed to gain some time back on that final climb yesterday.

In the end might be 1-2 spots higher than I had expected due to Morton and Dombrowski behind him. Both should have been stronger in the mountains for sure.

Also I like to see the breakaways not as relevant as it looked like 2 days ago. Basically they all are out of the top10 now with Chiarello still having a brilliant race, just like Schelling even while Roglic might have lost a few positions on that weird attack mode yesterday.

Galta, Quintana and in especially the whole EA Vesuvio team were hit most. First at least attacked regularly for KoM points.

Valls in 23rd is nice. It could have been a top20 normally if some breakaway riders weren`t ahead of him but still a valuable performance. Which I cannot say from Ciccone in 81st when basically similar or same riders sit in the top20-30 area. Just a awful performance all year by him.

Dekker as 76th is a nice end of a long career while Koep once again showed improvement without stat gain in 58th and Zardini adds a bit in 43rd, while I had hoped to see him in the attack a few more times.

Point wise Herklotz with a bold move here. KoM wise Smith being one lucky rider and helps KingPower to hold on to their big streak.

U25 there is really no reason why Godoy is that far below as he should be close to the win clearly but EA Vesuvio as said had a shit race in general.

Not sure who is 1st and 2nd in your team classification as it`s missing but 5th there is at least some small extra points.

Now onto the final stage where I hope to see either Boom or Dekker in attack mode. For both it likely is the final TdF and last time Champs Elysees. Would be a worthy end.

cunego59
roturn wrote:
Not sure who is 1st and 2nd in your team classification as it`s missing but 5th there is at least some small extra points.

I've edited that now, must have been a copy and paste error Smile Isostar 1st, Puma 2nd.

redordead
Best ride of the day, Groselj with 58 MO avoiding the time limit Pfft

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogačar

DubbelDekker
Congratulations cio, a deserved victory by an exceptional rider.
Can't fault Madrazo for not beating him.

I'll save my closing remarks for after the final stage.
i.imgur.com/5iNQj.png

ryant
Meintjes!!! First I have to comment on THAT stage! Didn't expect the win at all considering the manic start and Meintjes even finding himself on the wrong side of a split early but we got ourselves back and went on the offensive. Really nice to see as well as tbh a lot of the other GC action had been mostly pedestrian outside of the breaks gaining time and Meintjes had at least tried to gain time back on a few occasions. In the end I thought we lost the stage as Olivier caught back on but I was delighted to see Meintjes win with his last effort! Grin

Alpe D'Huez is a beast of a last climb so theoretically we were in danger of losing out a lot more but I'm glad we held on to our position and even gained one on a fading Schelling who I hoped we'd leapfrog before the stage. We missed out on our top 5 GC result narrowly but a compensated fail was still welcome! Wink

Even then 6th is a monumental result and almost well deserved considering there were no breaks involved but obviously Morton and Dombrowski would be very disappointed in how they finished behind us... congrats to Cio and Herklotz for really dominating the race, he never looked in danger in the end and should win many more GTs.
i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/ryant15/yorkshire_zpsw1qiv8uk.png

Banana John St Ledger in Team Bunzl-Centrica and Team U25Banana

Red Bull Driver in RFactor

knockout
I'm not really happy with this stage. Stoltz taking turns to establish the break was a massive tactical blunder that might have costed us the KoM (odds are there mighthave been points for Chiarello left to attack) and to a lesser extent the points classification (cant get any points with MVS if the break is ahead. though it was unlikely in the first place to attack it properly).

Chiarello dropping to 11th is okay. It was to be expected that he drops and the question was just how far he would drop. Would have been nice to finish 10th to have a top 10 result in every GT but i thought a 15th place finish would be realistic and i got additional scoring incl. a stage win so i can be very happy with the end result if nothing changes on the final stage.

Congrats cio, another perfect stage for you!
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!
And To All Who Organize Something On Daily As Well!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

cio93
Bring it home. It's just Paris, but we don't celebrate until it's done.

Jump to Forum: