PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] General
 Print Thread
Tour de France Discussion
Ad Bot
Posted on 08-05-2021 18:03
Bot Agent

IP: None  
ember
Not joining the attacks on that stage is hopefully a sign of us planning to be active on the upcoming stage. I kind of fancy a breakaway win there, due to that slightly more difficult finish.

Well done Ahlstrand for another stage win. Could be a big Tour for Volvo if he can be this good consistently this Tour Smile

SotD
The only thing negative about this stage was that the break didn't get enough leash to actually fight for the win. We played it perfectly with Kastrantas enhancing the KOM lead, and if it is true that he can keep it until stage 11 he will secure 60 points from the KOM, which would be perfect!

Nizzolo took a couple of points here aswell with 9th, which is pretty good looking at how difficult the finish was. I didn't expect him to content the sprint. Tomorrow looks much better for him.

Stage 8 could on paper be a breakaway stage so we have to keep putting riders into the break. After stage 8 we can't do much else but sit back and enjoy the GC battle. If we can put a couple of riders into the breaks then that's as good as it gets. We won't be getting any points unless Kastrantas in some freak breakaway manages to claim enough KOM points to survive another day or two.

Soon it's time to put Boily into the breaks and hope for the best.
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png

redordead
Stick to the mountains Herklotz!! Angry

Just joking Pfft Congrats Cio Smile

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogańćar

alexkr00
Disappointed not to see Van Poppel mixing it up for the first places not even once.
i.imgur.com/S1M3OtV.png
i.imgur.com/wzkfv39.png
i.imgur.com/Uhicj1C.png
i.imgur.com/Ie56lsQ.png

knockout
I guess we can say goodbye to the hopes of winning green by now. Despite a third place being okay, the rest of the top ten was the worst of both worlds: Too hard for sprinters so that Herklotz can already get into a position to control green later on and not hard enough to reduce scoring of Saber and Ahlstrand.

This shapes up to be one of the more dominant scoring GTs with Puma continuing and extending their lead in the GC, ready to take over green soon, still being 1-3 for white and already collecting stage wins. Congrats cio!
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!
And To All Who Organize Something On Daily As Well!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

tastasol
Herklotz making his mark early on this race. Congrats cio! Will be very hard to take away the yellow from him if he continues like this Smile

Had hoped for some more breakaway action from Grossschartner and Lastra for the KoM, but unfortunately not. Hopefully we'll try some more the next days.

AbhishekLFC
At this point, PCM is trolling all of us Pfft

cio93
Oh wow!! Shock

I guess Silvio learned his lesson from yesterday's yellow jersey scare and put his fate in his own hands again, with overwhelming success!

I was very lowkey eyeing this stage for a little surprise result, but I didnt't feel like mentioning that yesterday after that shitshow.
Especially after said detaching of the sprinters the past days, I was worried today would follow a similar formula and there wasn't gonna be a way to benefit from the uphill finish (particularly as a flat rated stage).

But when I spotted a yellow sleeve in the edge of one of the early sprint shots, I was ready to believe again, and it didn't take long for Herklotz to emerge from the crowd to continue his great race start.

Thank you redordead, knockout and tastasol! Smile

Kudos to Madrazo for recognizing the unexpected opportunity and impressively managing to limit his time loss, that was a strong showing and bodes well for a tight battle in later stages. It even got rather close on the line, well done!
He's definitely still very much in the mix, and none of these early advantages for us will directly translate into the climbing efforts of weeks 2 and 3 in any way.

Spilak and the rest will certainly not like this result though, as an extra 20 seconds on a seemingly harmless stage won't be good for their morale.
I'm very happy we already managed to extend our gap to Spilak to cover the TTT, with the actual second hilly stage of the race still to come right before. We don't have to worry as much about that day now.

To knockout, whose outlook on the green jersey competition reminds me a lot of my own early-onset desperation when things don't start quite as expected:

I don't expect Herklotz to truly be in the mix for the jersey, despite how small the difference might be at the moment.
The sprinters have three more sprint opportunities that look pretty safe for them, while it's certainly possible that the GC favorites won't get more than 3-4 stage win chances in the remaining stages if breakaways become as prevalent as we've seen in prior GTs.
Particularly the hilly stages past S8 look very much like breakaway material.

So with a reduced points spread for mountain stages to start with, and MVS et al still well ahead of Herklotz, I don't think there's much to worry about from our side.
Of course you still need to get ahead of the other sprinters first though...

I hope we can defend the jersey tomorrow again as well, although I definitely see MVS seeking revenge for today. Being in yellow going into the hilly stage would be amazing though, it would be a shame if the AI mess were to take it from us a day later after all.

knockout
cio93 wrote:
To knockout, whose outlook on the green jersey competition reminds me a lot of my own early-onset desperation when things don't start quite as expected:

I don't expect Herklotz to truly be in the mix for the jersey, despite how small the difference might be at the moment.
The sprinters have three more sprint opportunities that look pretty safe for them, while it's certainly possible that the GC favorites won't get more than 3-4 stage win chances in the remaining stages if breakaways become as prevalent as we've seen in prior GTs.
Particularly the hilly stages past S8 look very much like breakaway material.

So with a reduced points spread for mountain stages to start with, and MVS et al still well ahead of Herklotz, I don't think there's much to worry about from our side.
Of course you still need to get ahead of the other sprinters first though...

I wouldnt call a 8 points advantage of MVS over Herklotz well ahead. Yes there are three flat stages left (stage 15 looks like it might go to the break) but there is also stage 8 left where Herklotz will surely be in the mix as well which also gives full flat stage points iirc. Ofc, the sprinters could be lucky that the rest of the stages will go to breaks (and the lack of mountain support for Herklotz should make me more confident in that) but everything we've seen so far suggests that Herklotz has a good chance to finish higher on non-break mountain stages than MVS does on non-break flat stages and i dont expect MVS to pull a Sagan and go into the break on mountain stages to claim intermediate sprint points.

And even when Herklotz stays behind him, there is also the 28 point gap to Ahlstand and the 23 point gap to Saber which still has to be closed despite already being down 2 of the 3 stages where MVS has a big advantage over Ahlstrand. No clue why Saber decided to suddenly be good here after being disappointing in pretty much every race that gives points to his team lol.

Game isnt over yet but odds are dwindling with every stage and i would really like a stage win soon to get chances up again Pfft

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

cio93
knockout wrote:
Game isnt over yet but odds are dwindling with every stage and i would really like a stage win soon to get chances up again Pfft

I'd take second behind you on stage 8 if you stay put tomorrow Pfft

cunego59
knockout wrote:
Yes there are three flat stages left (stage 15 looks like it might go to the break) but there is also stage 8 left where Herklotz will surely be in the mix as well which also gives full flat stage points iirc.

Just to clarify, Stage 8 gives regular hill stage points, so 30-25-22 etc., not 50 for the winner.

DubbelDekker
Didn't expect Madrazo to be capable of such an explosive sprint. Great job!
i.imgur.com/5iNQj.png

ember
What a sensational first week for Puma and Herklotz. I mean, it's beyond perfect Pfft Congratulations!

Nice to have Pedersen up front and join the KoM sprints. This could give us some minor KoM classification points, which will be very welcome Smile

cio93
ember wrote:
What a sensational first week for Puma and Herklotz. I mean, it's beyond perfect Pfft Congratulations!

To be honest, it has entered worrying territory. Frown

But then again, nobody can take those two stage wins and the days in yellow away from Herklotz anymore, no matter what happens next.

cunego59
Like last year, I'll give you an overview of the stage winners and classification leaders at the end of each week:

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Reports/GTM/Tour/Preview/week1.jpg

As well as an overview of the goals, which is obviously not worth that much without any mountain stages yet, but I figured why not:

TeamGoalLeaderRank
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/eav.png EA VesuvioWin Schleck96th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/evo.png Evonik - ELKOWin Van Stayen1st
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gzl.png GazelleTop 3 Madrazo4th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pum.png Team Puma - SAPTop 3 Herklotz2nd
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ebd.png eBuddyTop 3 Dombrowski9th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/bnm.png Bennelong - MitcheltonTop 3 Morton8th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Isostar - SpecializedTop 3 Roglic19th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/afk.png Air France - KLMTop 5 Sicard6th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/yor.png cycleYorkshireTop 5 Meintjes11th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/rak.png Rakuten Pro CyclingTop 10 Quintana14th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/aeg.png Aegon - PeroniTop 10 Oliver15th
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/isa.png ISA - HexactaTop 10 Berhane33rd
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/vlv.png Volvo acc. By SpotifyStage Win Ahlstranddone

Hope you're enjoying the race despite the occasional AI hickup Wink
Edited by cunego59 on 16-04-2021 09:50

Croatia14
Great presentation, dull racing by our team in the first week. I think we scored something like 10 points so far.

redordead
knockout wrote:
No clue why Saber decided to suddenly be good here after being disappointing in pretty much every race that gives points to his team lol.

Well I guess it's good that at least someone can laugh at that Frown

But on cue he is back in form with a 36th place finish Sad

pcmdaily.com/images/mg/PCMdailyAwards2018/mgnewmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mghq2.png

"I am a cyclist, I may not be the best, but that is what I strive to be. I may never get there, but I will never quit trying." - Tadej Pogańćar

SotD
Not a lot of drama there. Nizzolo in 9th unfortunately - but 2 points is 2 points. Supplemented with Kastrantas' 10 points these stages are pretty much where I expected prior to the race.

Congrats knockout for the favorite win finally. Nice to see van Stayen not only taking the win, but also making a bonus by loaning the yellow jersey for a while.

Tomorrow could be THE key stage for us - let's hope we are aggressive! Budyak and Boily definately took the day off.
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png

knockout
I asked for it and i got it Banana

Strong delivery by Dzamastagic and Van Stayen had good speed today to deliver the much anticipated stage win for us.

Hugely valuable stage win especially because Ahlstrand had an off day today as we should control green for the next couple of stages at least. This should snowball into quite a few ranking points and that stage win was what we needed to increase our chances again to wear green to Paris. Ideally we add another podium tomorrow to raise our lead over the other sprinters while not giving up too much to Herklotz.

Getting a day (or maaaybe 2) in yellow is obviously a very sweet bonus that was not expected. Race jury was nice enough to not award a time gap ahead of Herklotz though so we will obviously lose it quickly again. Guess i have to be glad to only get into yellow today to not suffer from the yellow jersey sprint bug?

cunego59 wrote:

As well as an overview of the goals, which is obviously not worth that much without any mountain stages yet, but I figured why not:

TeamGoalLeaderMO

Corrected it for you. Evonik is fully on track for the goal Wink
1/3 of the race is done and we are in yellow. I think that is the closest we have been to an achieved goal race ...

cunego59
knockout wrote:
cunego59 wrote:

TeamGoalLeaderMO

Corrected it for you. Evonik is fully on track for the goal Wink
1/3 of the race is done and we are in yellow. I think that is the closest we have been to an achieved goal race ...

I mean, fair point :lol: I corrected that terrible oversight Wink

Jump to Forum: