· Total Members: 146,043
· Newest Member: JonhTheCyclist
Donate
View Thread
PCM.daily » PCM.daily's Management Game » [Man-Game] General
 Print Thread
Giro d'Italia - Discussion
Fabianski
After the first two weeks, let's take a look at who did well - and who rather didn't - so far. Let's start with the teams:

TeamStage wins2nd places3rd placesTotal
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Isostar - Specialized2215
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/isa.png ISA - Hexacta2103
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/aeg.png Aegon - Peroni2013
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gzl.png Gazelle1214
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pum.png Team Puma - SAP1214
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pol.png Polar1012
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/kng.png King Power1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/vlv.png Volvo acc. by Spotify1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ebd.png eBuddy1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/rak.png Rakuten Pro Cycling1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/yor.png cycleYorkshire1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/evo.png Evonik - ELKO0213
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/mos.png Moser - Sygic0123
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/afk.png Air France - KLM0112
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/akm.png Aker - MOT0112
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/tti.png Team Tinkoff - La Datcha0112
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gen.png Generali0101
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/bnm.png Bennelong - Mitchelton0022
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ino.png Indosat Ooredoo0011

So far, 11 teams have been able to get at least one stage win - with only three of them winning twice, and no team having more than two wins. In terms of podiums, pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Isostar - Specialized have been most successful so far, ahead of pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gzl.png Gazelle and pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pum.png Team Puma - SAP. But while the latter rely on just one single rider so far (we'll see that later), pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Isostar - Specialized had four different riders on the podium so far, while two riders share pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gzl.png Gazelle's podium spots.

We also see that the teams of the big GC favorites - pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/akm.png Aker - MOT, pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gen.png Generali and pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/tti.png Team Tinkoff - La Datcha, have not a single win so far - will they be able to turn things around in the final week?
The teams of the second-tier GC riders have done slightly better so far, with both pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/kng.png King Power and pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/rak.png Rakuten Pro Cycling having a win so far - and if you consider that pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/vlv.png Carapaz initially was in this category, too, let's add pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/vlv.png Volvo acc. by Spotify to that list.

So can we expect the teams of the big climbers to climb up in these rankings - or at least join this list at all? Because when looking to the bottom, we can see five teams without any stage podium so far:
TeamStage wins2nd places3rd placesTotal
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/eav.png EA Vesuvio0000
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/fes.png Festina - OAKA0000
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/grm.png Grieg-Maersk0000
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/lpu.png Lierse SK - Pizza Ullo PCTeam0000
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ubs.png Team UBS0000

While this surely hurts the respective managers, it doesn't come completely by surprise. pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ubs.png Team UBS will hope for the mountains to finally get a Top 3 on a stage, and that should be true as well for pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/eav.png EA Vesuvio. Both teams have one of the Top 10 climbers in their lineup, while the other teams will mainly have to hope to finally get a slice of the breakaway cake. With how the racing unfolded so far, this doesn't seem to be too improbable. So, will we finally have at least a "1" alongside every team? Or which one(s) would you expect to end up without the least stage podium?

Let's then take a look at the most successful riders so far - with the list being reduced to stage winners and multi-podium riders:

RiderStage wins2nd places3rd placesTotal
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/aeg.png van der Poel2013
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pum.png Demare1214
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gzl.png Malecki1102
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/vlv.png Appollonio1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Gabburo1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/ebd.png Conti1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pol.png Nych1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Bugge1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/rak.png Costagli1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/isa.png Vakoc1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/isa.png Contreras1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/yor.png Coppel1001
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/evo.png Eislers0202
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/iso.png Bizkarra0112
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gzl.png Kruijswijk0112
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/afk.png Kennaugh0112
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/akm.png Taaramäe0112

Surprisingly, the only rider having won two stages so far is youngster pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/aeg.png van der Poel - who furthermore adds a 3rd place to his great Giro record!
But the rider with the most stage podiums so far - and hence likely the one scoring most stage points until now (I haven't done the calculations), is one who - according to the comments in this thread - must be the most disappointing rider so far: pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/pum.png Demare. He's been on the podium in three out of four sprint stages - which probably is not much to complain about - but only once in a hilly stage. However, as there's just one other puncheur on this list at all, this puts things into perspective.

So many different riders winning a stage - and being on the podium in general - shows how much success there has been for breakaways so far. Now the question is, will we still have a lot of different winners in week 3? Or will there be more than just one rider with multiple wins? We'll find out soon!

SotD
No more... no more...
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png

ryant
Coppel!!! We brought a squad here to stage hunt so I'm glad we managed it with Coppel in the TT, even though Taaramae had us worried there a little. Kennaugh is still well placed but I hope he can get a stage result as well by being in a break or two in the final week. He's not likely to gain places in the GC by strength so we're not expecting much more from him.
i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/ryant15/yorkshire_zpsw1qiv8uk.png

Banana John St Ledger in Team Bunzl-Centrica and Team U25Banana

Red Bull Driver in RFactor

Ollfardh
Super Combatif award please!
Changed my sig, this was getting absurd.

matt17br
I can respect that performance by Spilak. TIme to turn around this miserable GT now.
Manager of pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gen.png Generali pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gen.png

http://v.ht/Matt17
knockout
Ollfardh wrote:
Super Combatif award please!

Alright: Congrats Malecki!
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!
And To All Who Organize Something On Daily As Well!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

OlegTinkov
Will be hard to win the Giro now, Taaramäe looks really strong!

http://www.pcmdaily.com/profile.php?lookup=6187
Bikex
Seems like the pure time trialists profited from the slow race so far. 2 top 10s is more than I expected in the tt. Teklehaimanot also with a strong tt, time for him to wake up. Reis unfortunately not great but looking at the gaps hasn’t lost too much. Now the mountains really start, I don’t expect Malecki to hold on to the maglia rosa for two more days.

Ad Bot
Posted on 26-02-2021 22:13
Bot Agent

IP: None  
Croatia14
We tried well, but it backfired pretty harshly. Good job to hang on until now, Alex!
ICL20 // Euskaltel Story // Can't Slow Down // 21 and Done // Dreams of a Viper

since 2018: Radsim'05: Astana
Most Improved Team 2018 & 2019 // Manager of the Year 2018, 2019 & 2020

PCM.daily Awards:
Most Improved Member '16 // MG New Manager '16 // Thread of the Year (PCT Roundtable Analysis) '17 '18 '19 // Most Helpful Member '18 '19 '20 // MG Team of the Year (Isostar - Adriatic) '18 // MG Manager of the Year '18 '19 // Member of the Year '19
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2019/moty.png
i.imgur.com/LIXbw59.png
i.imgur.com/X7eDBRB.png

RSM-news/PCM.daily 2019 DB Updates: 1 // 2 // 3 // 4
PCM.daily DB 2020 Updates: 1 // 2 // 3
PCM.daily Expansion Pack for PCM20 Updates: 1 // 1.5 // 1.8

matt17br
This is a very good result for us actually cause this means that Spilak will free up a LOT of wage cap that will go towards financing the signing of local riders Fausto Masnada and Gianni Moscon Cool Cool Cool

I will buy Centovalli irl
Manager of pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gen.png Generali pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2020/Micros/gen.png

knockout
ISA with the second amazing result after a great performance in Liechtenstein. Congrats Scorchio, seems like your plan from the PCT season can be continued in PT too Grin

Nice to see Taaramae starting the race for the favourites. The hard pace on the secon climb set by his team mates surely helped to make those gaps grow quickly on the final kilometers and he looks set for the race victory - particularly as he once again gained time on Spilak who lost further time on some of the other podium contenders.

Chiarello had a pretty great day too. Hardly anyone beatable gained time on him while a couple of rivals lost chunks. He is now up to 8th in GC which would be outstanding if he could defend that postion. Spilak is a sure bet to overtake him but Malecki could drop lower. Everyone else might depend on daily form on the deciding days and is quite close rn but so far Chiarello didnt look like he had a weak day and mostly suffers from having a TTT early on. Without that stage, he'd look even better than he does now!

The rest of the team did fairly okay. Vosekalns once again performed below expectations but I'm fine with that as long as he uses tomorrow to join the break. Hopefully with further assistance. Curious to see how that will impact the team classification as well.

When you split the post in half and still overstep the max character limit, you know your reports are crazy detailed. Thanks for that!
A Big Thank You To All MG Reporters!
And To All Who Organize Something On Daily As Well!

pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manteam.pngpcmdaily.com/images/mg/Awards2020/mgmanager.png

matt17br
knockout wrote:
Chiarello had a pretty great day too. Hardly anyone beatable gained time on him while a couple of rivals lost chunks. He is now up to 8th in GC which would be outstanding if he could defend that postion. Spilak is a sure bet to overtake him but Malecki could drop lower.

I will hold you to that, everything is possible for almighty Spilak Cool

valverde321
Not too bad from Shikai. Hopefully he can hold on to 5th in the remaining days. Bad luck for Reis.

Amazing report as always.

Fabianski
knockout wrote:
When you split the post in half and still overstep the max character limit, you know your reports are crazy detailed. Thanks for that!

Thanks for noticing! Actually, the report alone (e.g. without the results) would have almost fit into one post, so I just slightly moved the split now.

And yeah, really bad luck for Reis, sorry Bikex! Guess he actually punctured. And unlike on stage 4 with Spilak, the whole team got involved trying to bring him back, so either the Generali guys are all egoists, or they really considered their situation to be good enough with Talansky ahead.

matt17br wrote:
I will buy Centovalli irl

And what should I do then?
You might be able to get my "Fiat" part of the squad, if you give me your "Centovalli" part Pfft (still unlikely, but who knows ^^)

alexkr00
Good to see one of our proper climbers going into the breakaway. Hopefully Aru's time will come soon as well as he clearly isn't going to do very well in the GC anyway.
i.imgur.com/S1M3OtV.png
i.imgur.com/wzkfv39.png
i.imgur.com/Uhicj1C.png
i.imgur.com/Ie56lsQ.png

cio93
I can't be happy with Arndt not joining a winning break when he's in the ideal GC position to do so.

At least he rode a good race from the peloton and finished strongly, but he'll never get up to a good GC position in the remaining stages to score many points with this strategy, so he absolutely should risk it all for those 70 points on offer.
Also, KoM points.

Mager was impressive there though. But again, nothing gained from just hanging on as long as possible. Breaks, breaks, breaks.

SotD
The letdowns just won’t end in this race. Bongiorno FFS!

Just attack you lame ass when you are so crap.

Atleast most of my riders are in top 100 so we might end up scoring ~100 points from the race in total.
i.imgur.com/lVIiCkA.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/manager.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/Manmanager.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/teamhq.png

DubbelDekker
Congrats to Scorchio and also to ember and Oleg, because after this stage I'm quite sure the winner of this Giro will be either Taaramäe or Kritskiy. The big guns have awoken, like I expected.

Malecki did give us another amazing performance though. Again he managed to hang on longer than we could expect from him and he never fully cracked. I think the top climbers will pass him in GC for sure, but if he continues like this he might be able to fight off the sub-top. It was cool to see almost a complete Gazelle squad surround Malecki for most of the crucial climbs to cheer him on and help in case of gaps. Heartwarming team spirit.

Karnulin had his first off-day; hope he recovers. Usually him having a bad day would hurt our Team Classification. But today Kruijswijk, Sosnitskiy and Vervaeke stepped up to limit our losses there. It's almost like three riders got a team order to rush ahead for the TC, while the rest stayed with Malecki.

This report was another masterpiece btw
i.imgur.com/5iNQj.png

tsmoha
Not sure if Haig will manage do go past Malecki. Which would be a bummer, given that he's doing fine enough to actually fighting for a possible GT podium if it wasn't for this huge gap. Anyway. He did well in this stage, imo. Barguil looked good though, which may be concerning. But Haig rode it smart, I guess. As things stand now. A Top-5 should be doable, so I will hope for him to continue like this: avoid spending energy following the biggest gun and just keep on securing this GC spot. Maybe Malecki will crack one day.

Still hoping for more breakaway presence though.

ryant
Kennaugh doing exactly what I asked which is great, shame he wasn't the strongest rider from the break but he gained some valuable time on some other strong riders around him. Have to say that 13th would be some result for us but its going to be tough. We'll need another break success to achieve it I think.

I still think Malecki will fall away and so should Krujswijk so we may not lose places in the end!
i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/ryant15/yorkshire_zpsw1qiv8uk.png

Banana John St Ledger in Team Bunzl-Centrica and Team U25Banana

Red Bull Driver in RFactor

Jump to Forum: