· Total Members: 136,177
· Newest Member: ovikiry
Donate
View Thread
PCM.daily » Pro Cycling Manager 2018 » PCM 18: Stories
 Print Thread
Fight For Pink - Team Sunweb
Jakstar22
Up by 5 seconds on GC! Dumoulin looking strong!!!

the_hoyle
tsmoha wrote:
Ben O'Connor Cool

And Tom, of course! 5 seconds ain't much, but another display of strength and the first day in pink. Well played there, even though Froomey came back to finish in the same time as Tom.

O'Connor's ride so far has been very impressive. I think he had the KoM jersey well and truly in his sights!

5" ain't much, but it is a start. I'm hoping the effort from Froome to pull back Tom will be more damaging that the attack by Tom to make the gap.

Tamijo wrote:
Go get'em

Aye aye Captain!

Yellow Jersey wrote:
Already impressive by Dumoulin and it's evidently a two-way fight at this point.

Very much a two horse race. Yates and Pinot are just riding for a 3rd place spot if things continue like this

sutty68 wrote:
Nice to see Tom in pink Smile

It is indeed - let's see if it can continue though

valverde321 wrote:
Great result on the Etna stage to crack Froome, and even better on Stage 9 to move into the Pink jersey. Dumo is looking strong so far, matching whatever anyone else has been able to do, or better.

The cracking on Etna was a nice feeling. Showed that Froome can be beaten. Next big stage is Zoncolan so that could be fun!

Jakstar22 wrote:
Up by 5 seconds on GC! Dumoulin looking strong!!!

Looking strong, but we cannot get too carried away. Next few stages will be reactive rather than pro-active to any moves from the likes of Froome
i.imgur.com/vR8EVAA.png
.: Manager of :.
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2018/Micro/mg18_gcn.png GCN ProTeam [MG] pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2018/Micro/mg18_gcn.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png
.: My Awards :.
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2014/graphic.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2015/graphic.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/graphicartist.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2017/artist.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2017/jersey.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png
pcmdaily.com/images/awards/2014/avatar.png

the_hoyle
The Fight For Pink - Team Sunweb
Recap of Stages 10-12
www.procyclingstats.com/images/profiles/ca/ff/giro-d-italia-2018-stage-10-profile-n2.jpg

Week 2 starts with a stage that could favour the puncheurs, the sprinters and also the riders who want to chance it in the breakaway. A rolling parcours with the flat finish means anyone but an out and out climber could come away with a stage win.

Expect a fast action packed stage to kick things off after the rest day.

i.imgur.com/5CeFjZx.png

10 riders from 9 different teams attacked at the start of the race, as soon as the flag dropped, forming a strong group off the front of the main peleton. Vendrame, Torres (both AND), Martin (TKA), Fernandez (MOV), De Marchi (BMC), Cherel (ALM), Plaza (ICA), Zhupa (WIL), Didier (TFS) and Novak (TBM) made up the group that gained a maximum of 8'45" over the main pack.

Behind, it would be the teams of UAE Emirates and QuickStep who took up the pace making, working for Vivani for a bunch sprint and Ulissi should it be a day for the hilly riders.

In Pink, Dumoulin look confortable for most of the stage, but with 11km to go, and with the break still 3'35" up the road, an attack from Thibault Pinot and Simon Yates prompted a response from Tom. Following the wheels and neutralising all moves, it was a good first defence of the jersey.

Back at the front, it was attack after attack from the break on the run into the finish, as Martin, Zhupa and Torres all looked at an escape route for the victory. But as it all pulled back together for the 10 riders, it would be a sprint from a reduced group and a victory for Andrea Vendrame, ahead of De Marchi and Plaza.

Viviani would take the sprint from the peleton, ahead of Bennett (BOH) and Sacha Modolo (EFD), 2'52 behind the winner. The GC men would be all together, so the gaps remain the same in the battle for Pink!

Stage 10 Results
1Andrea VendrameAndroni Giocattoli - Sidermec6h26'34
2Alessandro De MarchiBMC Racing Teams.t.
3Rubén PlazaIsrael Cycling Academys.t.

static2.giroditalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/G18_T11_Osimo_alt_jpg.jpg

Stage 11 and a day where a GC contender could very easily lose a number of seconds very easily. The steep climb to the finish through the town of Osimo will test even some of the best puncheurs in the peleton, so only the strongest will take the victory today.

i.imgur.com/ESYwkT8.png

It took almost 25km ofthe stage before a true break was allowed to go up the road for the day. Surprisingly after what seemed like 30 riders wanting to go clear, only a group of 6 was allowed up the road by the main group. Contained within was José Gonçalves (TKA), Rubén Fernández (MOV), Kilian Frankiny, Alessandro De Marchi (both BMC), Mikaël Chérel (ALM) and Ben King (DDD). The group would get a maximum gap of 6'32" on the stage before the chase back began from the likes of Mitchelton Scott and UAE Emirates.

The break would be caught with 17km to go, and it was set for a showdown of the GC men as the peleton slowly diminshed in numbers. Dumoulin only has Ooman
and Haga for company, but to be fair, the other GC contenders only had 1 or 2 domestiques to count on as well.

Approaching the final climb to the finish, Thibault Pinot was the first to make a move, with Yates and Dumoulin following the move, as well as Tim Wellens (LTS), who was clearly looking for the stage win rather than a GC upset. There was no movement by Froome, who instead insisted on using Sergio Henao and Salvatore Puccio to try and pull back the quartet.

Hitting the flamme rouge, Froome was just managing to catch the group but suddenly Pinot made his move for victory. Opening a gap quickly, everyone on his wheel was struggling to bring him back! With every pedal stroke he edged closer to the win and soon there was a thought on if there would be a time gap on the road.

And he would! 9" to Wellens in 2nd place and Estaban Chaves in 3rd. Dumoulin would be in 4th place, losing out on bonus second by half a bike length. Behind, Yates and Henao came across the line in the same time as Tom, but shockingly, Henao had ridden his leader off the wheel and Froome cracked yet again! His time gap was 13 seconds...

Stage 11 Results
1Thibaut PinotGroupama - FDJ3h56'03
2Tim WellensLotto Soudal+ 9
3Esteban ChavesMichelton - Scotts.t.

static2.giroditalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/G18_T12_Imola_alt_jpg.jpg

A rare day for the sprinters, as the peleton gives the GC a day off with a flat day finishing on the race circuit of Imola. The short climb off the race circuit with 8km to go could throw up a surprise for a late attack, but given the rare opportunity for the likes of Viviani and Bennett to take another win before Rome, I expect a bunch sprint at the end.

i.imgur.com/FnS423u.png

A bunch sprint was expected, and a bunch sprint is what we got in Imola, as Sam Bennett stole a win from under the clutches of Elia Viviani!

It was a break of 5 that attacked shortly after the flag drop, with Giovanni Visconti (TBM), Jos van Emden (TLJ), Vegard Stake Laengen (UAE), Ryan Mullen (TFS) and Simone Andreetta (AND) all present. They would gain a total gap of 3'32" on the stage as Bora Hansgrohe and Quickstep kept the break in very close check.

It would all come back together with 22km to go, which looked like a risk given the climb with 8km to go, but as the likes of Alexey Lutsenko (AST) and Jack Haig (MTS) tried to get away on the climb, they were pulled back very quickly on the descent.

Quickstep took control, and as Zdenek Stybar (QST) dropped off Viviani at the front to start his sprint, it looked like a forgone conclusion. Viviani win and everyone is happy... but Bennett was not playing ball! Going through a gap that did not look like it should be there, he came up the inside to take the win by less than a tyre's width.

High drama in Imola, as Jempy Drucker (BMC) held on to tke a respectable 3rd place on the stage.

The GC men came home all together, as they look ahead to Stage 14 and the Zoncolan!

Stage 12 Result
1Sam BennettBORA - hansgrohe5h10'37
2Elia VivianiQuick-Step Floorss.t.
3Jempy DruckerBMC Racing Teams.t.

General Classification Top 10 after Stage 12
1Tom DumoulinTeam Sunweb54h34'18
2Chris FroomeTeam Sky+ 18
3Thibaut PinotGroupama - FDJ+ 1'11
4Simon YatesMichelton - Scott+ 1'17
5Davide FormoloBORA - hansgrohe+ 5'23
6SĂ©rgio Luis HenaoTeam Sky+ 6'24
7Domenico PozzovivoBahrain - Merida+ 9'48
8Esteban ChavesMichelton - Scott+ 10'27
9Maximilian SchachmannQuick-Step Floors+ 10'44
10Fabio AruUAE Team Emirates+ 12'44

Points Classification after Stage 12
1Sam BennettBORA - hansgrohe85
2Elia VivianiQuick-Step Floors76
3Tom DumoulinTeam Sunweb69

Mountains Classification after Stage 12
1Ben O'ConnorTeam Dimension Data105
2José GonçalvesTeam Katusha Alpecin72
3Alexandre GeniezAG2R La Mondiale44

Youth Classification after Stage 12
1Maximilian SchachmannQuick-Step Floors54h45'02
2Miguel Angel LopezAstana Pro Team+ 3'55
3Sam OomenTeam Sunweb+ 6'43

i.imgur.com/vR8EVAA.png
pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2018/Micro/mg18_gcn.png GCN ProTeam [MG] pcmdaily.com/images/mg/2018/Micro/mg18_gcn.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png

VoetsT
This is not 'fight for pink' anymore, but 'defend pink'. Dumoulin is doing good so far.
Winners never quit, quitters never win.

Follow my story of

Deceuninck - Quickstep
Coming Soon

sutty68
Keep a close eye on Froomey Frown

Tamijo
sutty68 wrote:

Always keep a close eye on Froomey Grin
i.imgur.com/nEJjzHN.png

If you're interested in weird music:
https://tamijo201...dpress.com

the_hoyle
VoetsT wrote:
This is not 'fight for pink' anymore, but 'defend pink'. Dumoulin is doing good so far.

There is still a fight! Tom is just ducking and weaving as Froome, Yates and Pinot throw their punches

sutty68 wrote:

Oh believe me, we will!

Tamijo wrote:
Always keep a close eye on Froomey Grin

Always Wink
i.imgur.com/vR8EVAA.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png
i.imgur.com/8u03OA4.png

Jump to Forum: