· Newest Member: udmaytgesk
Donate
View Thread
PCM.daily » Off-Topic » Cycling
 Print Thread
Giro d'Italia 2010
ruben
kumazan wrote:
It was a messy stage, but it is unfair to blame it entirely on Holland's roads. It is the Giro organization who selected those narrow roads, and I'm sure there are decent roads in the Netherlands to make a transitional GT stage.

This said, I prefer GT to not move away of their home countries. I mean, the Giro entering Austria to make some climbs is okay, but going to the Netherlands (or the USA!) it's too much.

Exactly, they could have chosen many roads with no obstacles like a normal 'autoweg' but these roads are commercially in-attractive

The giro goes where the money is. If Amsterdam pays the money, they go to netherlands, if washington has the money, they go to the US

It's hard to get sponsorship money in cycling. So you can be sentimental and want courses to stay in their own country, but commercial it's not very wise to do so

Guido Mukk
ruben wrote:
So what? There were big crashes due to road furniture in Omloop, Kuurne, E3 Prijs, Flanders etc as well, you dont hear those complains.
Or what about Roubaix, a few cobbles and they all fall.
It's a part of cycling.

And in the Giro there are always many falls in flat stages, just rewatch the previous editions. In Italy you have many oil on the road, that is even worse than road furniture, riders slipping all the time.

Or what about mountain stages? You have dangerous downhills with riders falling all the time.

Just wake up and stop complaining, its a part of cycling

at first you have to calm down. I am not talking about one day races..there is nothing wrong with Holland roads..one day races is fun to watch and it is big part of spring classics.
But Giro opening stage on this roads..come on man. Like you sayed Giro peloton is nervous like every GT peloton opening stages peloton is nervous, fresh and hugh..
Yes I ahve watched early Giro stages before..btw I have recorded Giro's anno 1997 on my hard disk.
And what you are talking about mountain stage? I prefer to skip that part.
And what a idiot planned that last km. that took last out from boring stage.
Where was fun-enterteiment today..?
That Sastre and Wiggins lost 30 sec. on Giro opening stage?

mrlol
Guido Mukk wrote:
That Sastre and Wiggins lost 30 sec. on Giro opening stage?

Which was due to a crash on a perfect road. Most likley better then the avarage Italian road.

Yes, Dutch roads are generally cyclist unfriendly, but that wasnt the case in this crash.
And still, cyclist know what to expect here, and theres people with flags all over the place. Its just part of the job.

The road to the Kronplatz is shit as well, yet noone complains about that huh? Pfft

www.leoadriaansenfotografie.nl
Ad Bot
Posted on 18-01-2022 04:32
Bot Agent

IP: None  
fenian_1234
They crashed because someone relaxed in the bunch on a 'good' road. The reason they did it was probably because they were tired after a nervous stage.

Evans comment on cyclingnews just about sums things up:

"Today was one of the most ridiculously dangerous stages I've seen in my career," said Evans after the finish. "It's not because of the course. Here in Holland you take a Grand Tour group of riders and you put them on these roads that are more for Classics riders.

issoisso
mrlol wrote:
The road to the Kronplatz is shit as well, yet noone complains about that huh? Pfft

That's going to be a TT.

If a guy crashes alone going uphill, he deserves what he gets :lol:
The preceding post is ISSO 9001 certified

i.imgur.com/YWVAnoO.jpg

"I love him, I think he's great. He's transformed the sport in so many ways. Every person in cycling has benefitted from Lance Armstrong, perhaps not financially but in some sense" - Bradley Wiggins on Lance Armstrong

ruben
Wiggins agreed that the narrow roads used for the stage were dangerous, but blamed the riders not the race organisers. "It was [dangerous] but we knew it was going to be like that and the Tour de France will be the same. It was always going to happen. It's just the way it is," he said.

"I'm okay. I've got a swollen knee but I'm okay. I was lucky. I think there are guys worse off. It's the riders that make it dangerous. That's bike racing. One person's loss is another person's gain and if you're on the other end of it, it's great."

To all guido mukks, isso's and Evanses of this world

Wiggo is right

rjc_43
*cough, Menchov, cough*
imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/420/www.cleavercycling.co.uk/CleaverCyclingWebHeader.png

http://cleavercycling.co.uk
Guido Mukk
I prefer that one..

"Today was one of the most ridiculously dangerous stages I've seen in my career," said Evans after the finish. "It's not because of the course. Here in Holland you take a Grand Tour group of riders and you put them on these roads that are more for Classics riders."

This guys there are prepeared to ride a Giro..(you know that race in Italy).

Oh..some idiots thought it will be fun take one cobble stage to Tour. Great entertaiment..

ruben
rjc_43 wrote:
*cough, Menchov, cough*

Menchov is the perfect example of a guy who can't steer at all.

And Evans is an asshole, so why would I listen to that Guido?

Still everyone disregards that the 2 biggest falls were on a straight piece of road with no obstacles and no problems whatsoever.

Riders mistakes are the biggest causes of falls.
Edited by ruben on 09-05-2010 21:10

Guido Mukk
you right about Evans..Wink
But I am still dissapointed about today's stage. This was not a nice GT opening stage

issoisso
ruben wrote:
And Evans is an asshole, so why would I listen to that Guido?

Taking your piece of logic and running with it.

You're a self-admitted asshole. Why should we listen to you? Grin

i.imgur.com/YWVAnoO.jpg

"I love him, I think he's great. He's transformed the sport in so many ways. Every person in cycling has benefitted from Lance Armstrong, perhaps not financially but in some sense" - Bradley Wiggins on Lance Armstrong

roturn
https://www.youtub...M2VmLZKuaY

fenian_1234
Evans actually agrees with you Ruben. I'll post again and add bold.

"Today was one of the most ridiculously dangerous stages I've seen in my career," said Evans after the finish. "It's not because of the course. Here in Holland you take a Grand Tour group of riders and you put them on these roads that are more for Classics riders

ruben
Ok

Here is another safe Giro stage in safe Italy btw
https://www.youtub...r_embedded

Wink

Crommy
Was a ridiculous stage. I agree that the majority of the problem wasn't the course. The only one was where the bunch was forced into a narrow gap, but was almost at a standstill when the crash happened, so not particularly serious or causing any notable effect.

What happened was after the first couple of crashes, everyone gets more nervous, mistakes happen, results in lots more crashes.

Good win by Farrar, ridiculously long sprint by Chris Sutton, amazed he managed to hold on for 6th
Edited by Crommy on 09-05-2010 22:49
emoticons4u.com/happy/042.gif

roturn
I was hoping that Sutton brings Greipel in front but it was just perfect for Goss, who came from his back directly behind Farrar in perfect position.

blueye
i wish today stage will be boring as i don't want to see any gc riders to fall or lose anymore time. probably petacchi will do the job today

Smowz
It was a bold move by Sutton, but he came from a long way around, was probably hanging around near the back of the front group waiting for Wiggins. Realised or got the call he wasn't going back - maybe thought that the finish was closer to the turn.

The fact that Goss finished 2nd, Sutton finished 6th and Dean finished 9th underlines that this finish was a lot about being in exactly the right position after that bend. This is not Griepal's strong point and he is not the easiest of riders to lead out though he is getting better. If it came down to a one on one sprint Farrar and Griepal will be a really cool one to watch.

Petacchi will have been handicapped by problems with Lampre I was impressed he had a guy up there at all to be honest. I think I would agree that he doesn't quite have the pace of Farrar/Griepal.

Anyway today, will an angry team try to pull it apart with the crosswinds? Will angry forum members getted annoyed that one of their favourites gets caught out!

Any news on any more abandons, any team with less members for Wednesdays TTT will be at a disadvantage!

issoisso
I think Sastre's going to attack today to gain some lost time.

Specifically on that monster of a climb 0.000015% incline (no, I did not make that number up) that rises a huge 14m from the lowest to the highest points in the stage in only 92.9kms.

sky.dimspace.net/st3prof.jpg

i.imgur.com/YWVAnoO.jpg

roturn
oO Hope all sprinters will come over that hills Grin

Jump to Forum: