· Total Members: 125,131
· Newest Member: epinoxy
Donate
View Thread
PCM.daily » Off-Topic » Football
 Print Thread
General Football News
Croatia14
without the groups of 3 I'd like this change, now it looks not too good...
i.imgur.com/WmEHAuL.png
i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/the_hoyle86/Graphics/croatia%20userbar_zpshrkkltjs.png
i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/the_hoyle86/Graphics/cantslowdown_zpsbaiibiqc.png

i.imgur.com/8sEcBxV.png

pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/mostimproved.png
pcmdaily.com/files/Awards2016/newmanager.png
i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab343/haasje33/Banner_4.png

deek12345
ringo182 wrote:
I love football and will usually never criticise a world cup with more games.

But you don't improve something by reducing the standard needed to qualify. It's similar to Schools giving out awards to every child so that they don't feel left out.

"Well done, you are the 12th best team in Asia. Come and play in the "supposedly" greatest tournament in the World".

We already see half of South America qualifying. How many teams from South America will qualify if a South American country hosts the tournament as well? It's simply too many teams and will only reduce the overall quality of the tournament.

spot on

Ad Bot
Posted on 23-01-2017 06:28
Bot Agent

IP: None  
deek12345
dont know if its been posted but Ronaldo won FIFA world player of the year

TheManxMissile
Lucky then that it's looking like CONCAF and CONMEBOL will come together to form one giant American qualification. And there's talk of AFC and OFC merging qualification aswell. If those come though then that's a big step to improving qualification and getting the best teams to the tournament.
i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/themanxmissile/cobie-halved_zps6rvruaet.jpgi1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/themanxmissile/avril-half_zpswnmxcwwu.jpgi1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/themanxmissile/ariane-half_zpsm07x4fue.jpgi1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/themanxmissile/alison-half_zpshdblr8cp.jpg

ringo182
TheManxMissile wrote:
Lucky then that it's looking like CONCAF and CONMEBOL will come together to form one giant American qualification. And there's talk of AFC and OFC merging qualification aswell. If those come though then that's a big step to improving qualification and getting the best teams to the tournament.

Agreed.

As I said earlier, the final tournament was fine. It was always the qualification process that needed changing.
"Ringo is exactly right", Shonak - 8 September 2016

valverde321
As someone that lives in Canada, there is now a chance we may qualify, although that chance is still slim because we are terrible.

In terms of overall, global interest, there will be more interest in the entire tournament now because more countries will be following obviously which is a plus in FIFA's eyes. I know if Canada actually qualified for the World Cup, the country would go crazy for the World Cup. Currently its pretty meh here, unless you are an actual football fan. One World Cup qualification could influence a generation of kids to play football and improve the countries fortunes.

Now to me, I loved the tournament the way it was and I really dont like this change, but the best teams should still make it to the knockout rounds so its not the worst thing to happen ever and that should ensure there is still interest from the major countries in the world too, although the quality of the early games has definitely gone down and maybe that will be enough to cost the World Cup money due to lack of viewership in the early on.

Also another thing to think of, the extra groups/teams, probably means the teams get an extra day or two of rest inbetween games in the group stage, which is probably a bonus for the players.

Jump to Forum: